Groups

Whats the best ISP at the moment? ADSL

Looking to change from Eclipse internet.

Forgot to say dont want to pay more than £15.

20 Comments

ADSL o2/be or sky/easynet (good discounts for sky/o2 customers), however maximum speed will be dependent on your distance from the exchange (as well as other things) In a cable area?

Original Poster

oh i see, was thinking of going for o2, as we have o2 contracts in the household too.

MarzBarz;4364265

oh i see, was thinking of going for o2, as we have o2 contracts in the … oh i see, was thinking of going for o2, as we have o2 contracts in the household too.

o2 premium upto 20meg download speed, £9.79 per month as an o2 customer

and upload speeds of upto 2.5meg (cracking for gaming)

dcx_badass;4364308

It's no different from any other adsl, it all depends on how far you are … It's no different from any other adsl, it all depends on how far you are from the exchange.

o2 is adsl2+, distance from the exchnage is a big factor but so is internal wiring and other factors, I live 4km from the exchange yet I synch at just short of 7meg on adsl, mostly because I'm a high poundage copper all the way from MDF (exchange) to NTE5 (my house).
    I know of houses less than 1km from the exchange that get less than me, because they are fed from aliminium cables

dcx_badass;4364308

It's no different from any other adsl, it all depends on how far you are … It's no different from any other adsl, it all depends on how far you are from the exchange.

When we switched from BT based equipment to O2's LLU we saw our speeds instantly double:thumbsup:

O2 are good though and good customers service too, freephone 24/7 quick to answer and you can understand what they say too (not meant in a racist way - just that they speak clear english)- all bonuses in my book!

Totally agree about recommending O2. Customer service is first class and haven't lost my service once since switching from BT. With BT, I was loosing connection 5 or 6 times a month.
    No regrets at all.

Kinda wish I never got free Bt broadband, would love to move to o2 but can't justify paying for ADSL

how do you check how far you live from an exchange?

currently with madasafish costing £25, been getting a bit of lag on the ps3 lately and intrent has been slow.

what contributes as an O2 customer? i am with O2 but through CPW, does that count or does it need to be O2 direct?

mug51;4365060

how do you check how far you live from an exchange?currently with … how do you check how far you live from an exchange?currently with madasafish costing £25, been getting a bit of lag on the ps3 lately and intrent has been slow.what contributes as an O2 customer? i am with O2 but through CPW, does that count or does it need to be O2 direct?

Not sure about the customer bit, where abouts in Newcastle. Just to know what exchange your from, or I can tell you where it is

Paddy_o_furniture;4365095

Not sure about the customer bit, where abouts in Newcastle. Just to know … Not sure about the customer bit, where abouts in Newcastle. Just to know what exchange your from, or I can tell you where it is

wallsend, 3 miles east of manors metro station

mug51;4365060

how do you check how far you live from an exchange?

This site will tell you the nearest exchange samknows.com/bro…php

mug51;4365060

what contributes as an O2 customer? i am with O2 but through CPW, does … what contributes as an O2 customer? i am with O2 but through CPW, does that count or does it need to be O2 direct?

If you have an o2 number thats all you need no matter who its through

dcx_badass;4365114

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

thanx for that.....looks like i live 0.5 miles from the exchange, although ive never seen an exchange where that site shows it is, although i know there is a BT exchange 0.2 miles away.

edit: looks like i need to spread some love before giving you more rep points

mug51;4365115

wallsend, 3 miles east of manors metro station

So you come of Wallsend, thats on station road behind the co-op and the Meth church. I work there quite a bit.

Paddy_o_furniture;4365195

So you come of Wallsend, thats on station road behind the co-op and the … So you come of Wallsend, thats on station road behind the co-op and the Meth church. I work there quite a bit.

ahhh thats where i thought it would have been, not quite the position the samknows site says. so 0.2 miles away, looks like im moving away from madasafish, its not even unlimited with them, £2/GB after your allocated lot.

Another tip - don't always assume your cabling will take the shortest route from the cabinet to the exchange. When I lived down south I was 2km from the exchange but the cable length was 5.9km (back in the day when you could dial 17070 and get a engineer line test).

A quick question folks - For O2 discounts, do you need to be on a contract or would PAYG work?

DragonChris;4366206

A quick question folks - For O2 discounts, do you need to be on a … A quick question folks - For O2 discounts, do you need to be on a contract or would PAYG work?

PAYG is fine, but you have to top up a minimum of £10 every 3 months. look at o2.co.uk/bro…and

mug51;4365208

ahhh thats where i thought it would have been, not quite the position the … ahhh thats where i thought it would have been, not quite the position the samknows site says. so 0.2 miles away, looks like im moving away from madasafish, its not even unlimited with them, £2/GB after your allocated lot.

Wallsend is a good exchange it's got tons of providers in there because of the size of the area it serves. Its alos one of only a few exchanges in the N.East to be BT WBC enabled.

Paddy_o_furniture;4366230

PAYG is fine, but you have to top up a minimum of £10 every 3 months. … PAYG is fine, but you have to top up a minimum of £10 every 3 months. look at o2.co.uk/broadband

High five for you and some rep on your way. Methinks we'll be having words with O2 within the next week And BT can bite my shiny metal butt, for internet anyway.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial12
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764326
      3. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1224
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay410

See more discussions