What's the best newspaper?

Banned 25 replies
Found 20th Apr 2009
For it's content - not for it's use as chip paper or a blanket.

25 Comments

The Times.

the sun/the star

The telegraph

The Daily Mail

Doesn't that depend on your political orientation? in the 'quality paper' arena ... if you're an unreconstructed Lefty who is kept up at night worrying about green issues, you'll read the Guardian. If you're right-leaning and support a laissez-faire approach to economics and government then you'll read the Telegraph. If you are largely middle-of-the-road and a floating voter (or think you are) you'll read the Times.

I won't venture into the red-top area for fear of upsetting good folk here. ;-)

The Sun. I think it's great. Obviously, it's not a good, reliable, trustworthy, balanced, informative or educational read, but as someone blessed with the cheerful gift of an almost apathy towards the plight of the dying millions in desert country X and zero interest in politics (thankfully, I am neither 16 nor 40+, and I don't consider politics the intellectual zenith of personal interest), and as someone who simply wants to read something that will entertain me and make me laugh at people I hate (especially the writers), it's pretty much the winner for me. That's the thing with The Sun. It's entertainment based on the news. It's trash reporting. I hate it and all its writers, and I pity every soul ever to contribute their line-towing missives to the letters page (although, I do deeply admire the paper's ability to brainwash its audience - how can they really not all know that it's nearly all just lies?), but I would much rather read it than something as boringly factual as The Times.

Also, I do enjoy Page 3.

dxx;4976455

The Sun. I think it's great. Obviously, it's not a good, reliable, … The Sun. I think it's great. Obviously, it's not a good, reliable, trustworthy, balanced, informative or educational read, but as someone blessed with the cheerful gift of an almost apathy towards the plight of the dying millions in desert country X and zero interest in politics (thankfully, I am neither 16 nor 40+, and I don't consider politics the intellectual zenith of personal interest), and as someone who simply wants to read something that will entertain me and make me laugh at people I hate (especially the writers), it's pretty much the winner for me. That's the thing with The Sun. It's entertainment based on the news. It's trash reporting. I hate it and all its writers, and I pity every soul ever to contribute their line-towing missives to the letters page (although, I do deeply admire the paper's ability to brainwash its audience - how can they really not all know that it's nearly all just lies?), but I would much rather read it than something as boringly factual as The Times. Also, I do enjoy Page 3.

dxx;4976455

It's trash reporting. I hate it and all its writers, and I pity every … It's trash reporting. I hate it and all its writers, and I pity every soul ever to contribute their line-towing missives to the letters page (although, I do deeply admire the paper's ability to brainwash its audience - how can they really not all know that it's nearly all just lies?), but I would much rather read it than something as boringly factual as The Times. Also, I do enjoy Page 3.

Without the reference to Page Three, I would have thought you were referring to the Daily Mail.

Dail Mail , The Sun isnt a Newspaper its comic (not ounce of truth)

the sun is the most hypocritical newspaper around! praise something one day and criticise it the next....they just make their own news up on the spot....it is more of a comic than a news insight....similar to the mirror and the news of the world....all just as bad as each other!

Original Poster Banned

stephen2k5;4976646

the sun is the most hypocritical newspaper around! praise something one … the sun is the most hypocritical newspaper around! praise something one day and criticise it the next....they just make their own news up on the spot....it is more of a comic than a news insight....similar to the mirror and the news of the world....all just as bad as each other!

The Mail does that as well. Women are either too fat or too thin. They basically just hate women. And foreigners.

Banned

sun/star/mirror/record/sport

I like it when the Sun reports: -

"3 million sun readers want action now"

What they don't mention is that the sum of all their IQs is less than that of a crisp.

chester123;4976713

I like it when the Sun reports: -"3 million sun readers want action … I like it when the Sun reports: -"3 million sun readers want action now"What they don't mention is that the sum of all their IQs is less than that of a crisp.

lol....that made me chuckle...so random with the crisp!

Trickyjabs;4976335

The Times.

and the FT
mamamia7;4976358

the sun/the star

Kitten13;4976364

The telegraph

octobergirl;4976386

The Daily Mail

Jacob_Kreed;4976539

Dail Mail , The Sun isnt a Newspaper its comic (not ounce of truth)

PabloInTheSky;4976705

sun/star/mirror/record/sport

lol all above
Afterburner;4976502

Without the reference to Page Three, I would have thought you were … Without the reference to Page Three, I would have thought you were referring to the Daily Mail.

my sentiments exactly

The Guardian is my choice; Independent if it's not available.

chester123;4976713

I like it when the Sun reports: -"3 million sun readers want action … I like it when the Sun reports: -"3 million sun readers want action now"What they don't mention is that the sum of all their IQs is less than that of a crisp.

I once knew a crisp with an IQ of 142. Hard to believe I know, but a true factoid.

Trickyjabs;4976335

The Times.

Afterburner;4976502

Without the reference to Page Three, I would have thought you were … Without the reference to Page Three, I would have thought you were referring to the Daily Mail.

Oh, I love the Daily Mail for the same reasons. If one's nearby and someone else is in the room with me, I sometimes like to make a game of betting money on how long on the letters page it takes for someone to mention the war, immigrants, or The Youth Of Today. They nearly always appear within the first three paragraphs.

FilthAndFurry;4976691

The Mail does that as well. Women are either too fat or too thin. They … The Mail does that as well. Women are either too fat or too thin. They basically just hate women. And foreigners.

Innit.

You know, I've got a mate who's as white as can be. Good looking man, middle class, hard working, honest, good hearted, everything. I would love to introduce him to the Daily Mail's editors, just for the glory of the mindfck, since he also happens to be an Algerian-born Muslim named Mohammed.

For my GCSE maths we had to work out based on word count and number of letters in each word the age at which it was possible to understand each news paper.

For the telegraph and times we surmised that the age was around14 years old.
for the sun, the age was 6... now what does that say about what they think of the interlect of their readers?

chester123;4976713

What they don't mention is that the sum of all their IQs is less than … What they don't mention is that the sum of all their IQs is less than that of a crisp.

Now that's just the kind of statement that I was trying to avoid making ... :whistling:

Kitten13;4977192

For my GCSE maths we had to work out based on word count and number of … For my GCSE maths we had to work out based on word count and number of letters in each word the age at which it was possible to understand each news paper.For the telegraph and times we surmised that the age was around14 years old. for the sun, the age was 6... now what does that say about what they think of the interlect of their readers?

The Daily Express is officially 11. I was astonished at how high they'd put it.:p

Afterburner;4977255

The Daily Express is officially 11. I was astonished at how high they'd … The Daily Express is officially 11. I was astonished at how high they'd put it.:p

lol...

that news paper always amuses me, well it's readers do

Original Poster Banned

Afterburner;4977255

The Daily Express is officially 11. I was astonished at how high they'd … The Daily Express is officially 11. I was astonished at how high they'd put it.:p

The Mail probably scores high because of it's repeated use of words like immigration and disgraceful.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options66
    2. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?33
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person33
    4. MacBook44

See more discussions