Expired

What's the best paint for painting kitchen cabinets?

Found 7th Nov 2014
Got new replacement doors, drawers and handles on order but need to refresh the cabinet sides, cornices, plinths & pelmets.

What's the best paint for the job?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskKitchenPaint
11 Comments
Oil based eggshell would probably be the hardest wearing.
You can buy melamine primer from B@Q, then you can paint it what you like. I would imagine a silk emulsion would be best for kitchen.
Thanks all - already had melamine primer and emulsion on it and comes out well although dull and not entirely smooth

Just thought there might be something that has a smoother finish

tried oil based eggshell but it either left brush marks or gloss roller stipple
black
spray grey primer then spray colour of choice,various makes look in B&M for cheap aerosol cans,leaves a nice smooth glossy uniformed finish providing you take it easy and build colour up same as if you were spraying panels on car,you can finish off with clear varnish spray if you want extra protection
bavis1

spray grey primer then spray colour of choice,various makes look in B&M … spray grey primer then spray colour of choice,various makes look in B&M for cheap aerosol cans,leaves a nice smooth glossy uniformed finish providing you take it easy and build colour up same as if you were spraying panels on car,you can finish off with clear varnish spray if you want extra protection

tempted to try but can see the spray going everywhere from aerosols and I cant remove the cabinets to a garage to spray

thanks anyway
chocci

Thanks all - already had melamine primer and emulsion on it and comes out … Thanks all - already had melamine primer and emulsion on it and comes out well although dull and not entirely smoothJust thought there might be something that has a smoother finishtried oil based eggshell but it either left brush marks or gloss roller stipple

Are you saying you rolled on the gloss?

Try a good quality oil based satin paint and buy a decent paint brush and do not roll.
Argoj

Are you saying you rolled on the gloss? Try a good quality oil based … Are you saying you rolled on the gloss? Try a good quality oil based satin paint and buy a decent paint brush and do not roll.

ok - will give it a go (I brushed on the gloss and immediately rolled with a mini gloss roller but was quite dimply (is that a word lol?)

Also tried fablon which is great for freezers etc but didnt look right on a cabinet

any brand recommendations for gloss and brush?

I normally use dulux or johnstones for paint and harris for brushes

thanks

Edited by: "chocci" 7th Nov 2014
Harris aren't the best but if you have a look about I believe they do a fully synthetic gloss brush which would be a good choice, You do not want gloss, the best bet would be a satin oil based paint. The below link is the johnstones satin paint. Just keep away from water based paints, even in gloss versions they stain very easily so not a good choice for kitchens.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/products/product-display/satin-finish

When applying do not be tempted to over cover the surface. Use just the end inch of the brush and be prepared for more then one coat.
Edited by: "Argoj" 7th Nov 2014
Being a decorator , I've had to paint bedroom furniture for folk . I've used ESP which was a primer [not sure if you can get that anymore] for melamine and the like surfaces . Any special primer for these surfaces will be ideal .I would then use a Dulux Satinwood finish .
Looked very good when finished ..........................but there again I'm a professional decorator :-)
Thanks guys
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants