Expired

What's the best Space battleship PC Game?

Found 22nd Feb 2013
Any recommendations please?
A PC game that involves controlling space ships / combat - possibly trade, completing missions, upgrading ships etc.

Thanks.

9 Comments

FTL - a really really good game, cheap too,
store.steampowered.com/app…80/
might not be all fancy graphics but definitely a good game.

I presume by you saying ships plural you're more after RTS games. It depends on the sort of power your system has, if it's very low end Homeworld or Homeworld 2 are probably the most enjoyable but I found the learning curve coming from traditional war RTS games difficult to master for some time due to it having the depth dimensions.

Homeworld can also be gotten quite cheaply and has quite good modding communities

If you have something a bit more modern to play on in terms of graphics power then to varying degrees of what you are after I would highly recommend Starcraft 2. The first one's worth a play through to understand the back story and can be had for a few quid.

Other suggestions worth looking at include the following but sadly space is currently out of interest, it seems to be zombies, werewolves etc at the minute.
x3-reunion - but it might be a bit less what you're after and a bit older
Nexus
Sins of a solar empire - I didnt enjoy it but it's a cheap one to get hold of if you fancy a go
Star Trek Armada

x3!

Eve Online and when it's out I suspect Elite Dangerous will take over.

Original Poster

Astec123

I presume by you saying ships plural you're more after RTS games. It … I presume by you saying ships plural you're more after RTS games. It depends on the sort of power your system has, if it's very low end Homeworld or Homeworld 2 are probably the most enjoyable but I found the learning curve coming from traditional war RTS games difficult to master for some time due to it having the depth dimensions. Homeworld can also be gotten quite cheaply and has quite good modding communitiesIf you have something a bit more modern to play on in terms of graphics power then to varying degrees of what you are after I would highly recommend Starcraft 2. The first one's worth a play through to understand the back story and can be had for a few quid.Other suggestions worth looking at include the following but sadly space is currently out of interest, it seems to be zombies, werewolves etc at the minute.x3-reunion - but it might be a bit less what you're after and a bit olderNexusSins of a solar empire - I didnt enjoy it but it's a cheap one to get hold of if you fancy a goStar Trek Armada

I'm quite into graphics / visuals as well as gameplay
Just this moment tried Sins of a solar empire - and I know what you mean ! Couldn't get into it at all albeit only tried for 15-20 minutes to be fair !

Eve Online is good but requires a monthly subscription as far as I am aware which is a bit annoying!

Starcraft 2 looks good but more command & conquerer ground style combat rather than starship from screenshots?

X3 looks pretty good actually from screenshots so will be trying that 1 tomorrow

Thanks all.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 22nd Feb 2013

Starcraft has a mixture of air and ground units but is very like command and conquer. Just set on distant worlds/space stations or random orbiting platforms with planets in the background.

Sadly first person space combat simulation on the PC fell out of favour due to a number of factors. Insufficient or poor sales of space games (X series, Homeworld, Freelance, etc) the acquisition of software developer Digital Anvil (Starlancer / Freelancer) by Microsoft, gradual decline of using joysticks, adoption of Online gaming such as EVE online, cost of licensing, shift away from the genre by developers who originally produced space combat games (i.e. Lucasarts X-Wing series) have all contributed to the belief that there is insufficient market demand for the genre. Fortunately with Kickstarter, there are a number of promising developments such as Star Citizen (Chris Roberts - Privateer / Wing Commander / Freelancer), and Elite 4 (Dangerous) but they are probably 18 to 24 months away from release.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 23rd Feb 2013

In direct answer to your question I would recommend Freelancer. You'll probably only be able to get it from Ebay now.

When you've completed the standard game (which allows for space combat, weapons and ship upgrades, missions and trading), you may want to try the Crossfire mod for Freelancer. Loads more eye-candy, ships, missions, new systems etc etc It is a free download to add on to your existing game.

Play these, you won't regret it....
Tachyon - The Fringe
Freelancer
Homeworld 1 and 2 and get Cataclysm
Wing Commander 3, 4, 5 and Prophecy Gold
Starlancer
Nexus
Edited by: "wellen1981" 24th Feb 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions