What’s the best ssd for PS4?

Posted 31st Mar
wanted to get an external ssd for more storage on my PS4 anyone recommend one?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
External ssd? It's probably better to fit an internal one in there.
The brand isn't really so important (Integral, Kingston, San Disk, Crucial etc are all fine). Connecting it via an external USB 3.0 caddy is absolutely fine, it's often claimed that you'll get faster speeds that way compared to the internal SATA.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 31st Mar
Haircut_10031/03/2020 17:06

The brand isn't really so important (Integral, Kingston, San Disk, …The brand isn't really so important (Integral, Kingston, San Disk, Crucialetc are all fine). Connecting it via an external USB 3.0 caddy is absolutely fine, it's often claimed that you'll get faster speeds that way compared to the internal SATA.

Is it better to get an external ssd or replace the internal PS4 hdd to ssd?
I haven't tried the external method but if you replace the internal drive you have do download software from Sony, and it re-formats the drive. It's easy to replace the internal, just a bit of a pain to get a usb stick to put the software on, get the location of the software correct as it's very particular.

I had to do it twice as my replacement big name brand drive failed, so I had to re-install the original, although they did send me a replacement no questions asked.
Bigfootpete31/03/2020 18:33

I haven't tried the external method but if you replace the internal drive …I haven't tried the external method but if you replace the internal drive you have do download software from Sony, and it re-formats the drive. It's easy to replace the internal, just a bit of a pain to get a usb stick to put the software on, get the location of the software correct as it's very particular. I had to do it twice as my replacement big name brand drive failed, so I had to re-install the original, although they did send me a replacement no questions asked.

Yh I know about that but I’m not sure if it’s worth it doing this now considering ps5 is coming out end of the year I just want 1tb storage minimum without spending too much and faster transferring speeds
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions