What's the best value smart TV stick?

Posted 10th Sep
I'm looking to convert an old TV into a smart one for a lady in a difficult place financially. Amazon only seem to have the 4K fire stick (which at £50 is a bit excessive).

What are the best options out there? Will a NowTV stick offer all the same service as a Fire stick?

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
people on here will tell you to get the firestick, and you probably should
Get a Roku Express if you don't need NOW TV
If sideloading stuff to cut costs ie iptv etc firestick is answer.
bobdylan10/09/2020 17:00

Get a Roku Express if you don't need NOW TV

Now TV is OK on roku express surely.
Curry's £39.95 standard firestick.
Edited by: "fearona" 10th Sep
Roku Streaming Stick +.

It has all the services you’d need, NOW TV, Amazon Prime Video, Disney +, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. It also has a good interface and the remote can control the volume and power on your tv.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 10th Sep
fearona10/09/2020 17:15

Curry's £39.95 standard firestick.

pay the extra tenner for the 4k. its literally a no brainer for the performance boost
Elim10/09/2020 17:26

pay the extra tenner for the 4k. its literally a no brainer for the …pay the extra tenner for the 4k. its literally a no brainer for the performance boost

On an old TV that's not smart is there a benefit?
Elim10/09/2020 17:26

pay the extra tenner for the 4k. its literally a no brainer for the …pay the extra tenner for the 4k. its literally a no brainer for the performance boost

but if they don’t have a 4k tv, they wouldn’t need to upgrade?
Mendoza10/09/2020 17:37

but if they don’t have a 4k tv, they wouldn’t need to upgrade?

But the stick itself is more powerful - so you get a smoother performance for example. And a bit more future proofed.
fearona10/09/2020 17:12

Now TV is OK on roku express surely.

Yeah sorry, was thinking about the Firestick which doesn't have Now TV
Roku really, if you can hold off Google might be announcing the new streaming device for them
Haircut_10010/09/2020 17:23

Roku Streaming Stick +. It has all the services you’d need, NOW TV, Amazon …Roku Streaming Stick +. It has all the services you’d need, NOW TV, Amazon Prime Video, Disney +, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. It also has a good interface and the remote can control the volume and power on your tv.

Can you side load apps on to the roku like cinema hd, or iptv
Bargainhead10/09/2020 21:01

Can you side load apps on to the roku like cinema hd, or iptv

I don’t think you can
If it's a really old TV, the connections might be tricky on most smart devices. The oldest (white) Now TV boxes can connect (with a particular lead you'll have to find) to a TV without HDMI, but the Roku LT box is a far better option, and it had the lead in the box, so you might find that easier to source.

If the tv has got HDMI, then the Roku Express (currently £25 on Amazon) is a bargain. It's not a stick, but it'll more than suffice in terms of what it offers.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Roku Express is making most sense.
yadiyada11/09/2020 09:09

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Roku Express is making most …Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the Roku Express is making most sense.

Should also point out that the Roku Express uses a USB port for power, not sure if that's relevant. If the tv hasn't got a USB port, you'll need to use a USB plug, which you may well have anyway for your phone.
Edited by: "dealpickle" 11th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text