Groups

What's the best way to get scratches (cheaply) out of a DVD?!

Just found some old kids DVD's I bought of my little one and a couple have gotten scratches on them, big enough to make the movie skip in one or two places. These DVD's are worth peanuts really so it's not worth sending them off to the DVD repair places...Any DIY way's to save the discs?! Thanks!

14 Comments

hold lighter to the underneath then rub on sand paper for that everlasting shine.....

wickedteen;8511646

hold lighter to the underneath then rub on sand paper for that … hold lighter to the underneath then rub on sand paper for that everlasting shine.....

Thats exactly what you should do, if you want a coaster instead of a playable dvd.

Can you read them into a computer. Try some white toothpaste and lint free cloth

dontasciime;8511680

Can you read them into a computer. Try some white toothpaste and lint … Can you read them into a computer. Try some white toothpaste and lint free cloth

Yeah +1 make sure its not an abrasive one, or like one with whitening ect

Nail varnish remover

Original Poster

wickedteen;8511646

hold lighter to the underneath then rub on sand paper for that … hold lighter to the underneath then rub on sand paper for that everlasting shine.....

Great suggestion! I'll try it tonight! :x

another +1 for the toothpaste

Toothpaste has worked for me in the past.

Another for toothpaste here! Works a charm.

A bit of vaseline has also been known to work. If you does work, use it to make a copy as the vaseline picks up dust very quickly!

Dave

banana simple
    Fixed my def jam fight for new york which nothing else could fix.

Original Poster

Met-Cast;8512445

banana simple :)Fixed my def jam fight for new york which nothing else … banana simple :)Fixed my def jam fight for new york which nothing else could fix.

That's a joke, right?!! What am supposed to do with the banana?!?!?!

The plastic coating is damaged, unless there are holes in the DVD. JML do a cheap repair kit in £stretcher or online which takes care of the scratches. Blockbusters near me have a machine which cleans (by shaving a sliver off the surface leaving it readable!) may be a few £ or sweet talk them if it's quiet - miracles have happened.

I used a Disc Doctor in the past - but costs around £20+ - handy when I used to buy grotty DVDs before Blu-Ray. I value my Player not to put vaseline or paste anywhere near a lens at sev 1000 revs!

Banned

sollas001;8512569

The plastic coating is damaged, unless there are holes in the DVD. JML … The plastic coating is damaged, unless there are holes in the DVD. JML do a cheap repair kit in £stretcher or online which takes care of the scratches. Blockbusters near me have a machine which cleans (by shaving a sliver off the surface leaving it readable!) may be a few £ or sweet talk them if it's quiet - miracles have happened.I used a Disc Doctor in the past - but costs around £20+ - handy when I used to buy grotty DVDs before Blu-Ray. I value my Player not to put vaseline or paste anywhere near a lens at sev 1000 revs!

[SIZE="4"]DO NOT USE JML[/SIZE]

Ends up scratching yours disks even more ! A banana is probably the best method (serious). Put the mushy stuff on the inside around the disk. Use the inside of the banana skin to rub it off. Then use the outside of the skin and clean it in a circular motion. It has waxy oils that are extremely good at cleaning the surface of disks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions