Whats the best Weed Killer that also kills grass? Salt? If so where can I buy big bags of salt to use?

Found 6th Jun 2015
The weeds and also some grass is coming through on gravelled area and path again, over the many years of fighting this nemesis I've had hit and miss results. This year I don't want to buy the same usual rubbish that sometimes kills it depending on the atmospheric conditions or if its a full moon.
I've previously used Roundup, Weedol and the other usual makes from B&Q/Homebase/Wilko, some weeds die but not others.

I just need to be able to buy it easily, and it being reasonably priced.
I aren't really bothered about harm to pets, or if its biodegradable, these restrictions seem to be the reason they are sometimes ineffective.

Thanks in advance.

Please only post helpful comments to killing weeds.
Community Updates
21 Comments
Bleach.
darkovo

I aren't really bothered about harm to pets, or if its biodegradable, … I aren't really bothered about harm to pets, or if its biodegradable, these restrictions seem to be the reason they are sometimes ineffective.

Nice to hear your weed problem comes before the life of another living creature! oO
Original Poster
P_nnyPinch_r

Nice to hear your weed problem comes before the life of another living … Nice to hear your weed problem comes before the life of another living creature! oO

As apposed to killing living weeds and grass and the insects that live on them, life is life, death is death.
darkovo

As apposed to killing living weeds and grass and the insects that live on … As apposed to killing living weeds and grass and the insects that live on them, life is life, death is death.

So, we're agreed...you will stay away from the weeds!
Original Poster
P_nnyPinch_r

So, we're agreed...you will stay away from the weeds!

No, thats why I posted this question, I'm happy for you to stay away from this thread though.
Please only post helpful comments to killing weeds.
Water softener salt works well I think, or just pour normal salt in the cracks and use a knife to actually dig it into the soil a little
darkovo

No, thats why I posted this question, I'm happy for you to stay away from … No, thats why I posted this question, I'm happy for you to stay away from this thread though.Please only post helpful comments to killing weeds.

No, that's why I replied, as your comment about pets seemed a little off.

But I see you've edited your post to say "Hypothetically" you're not bothered about harm to pets. So, hypothetically you're not bothered, but if your hypothesis was tested?....i.e., in reality, I'm guessing you still wouldn't be bothered!

Hope you manage to get rid. Good luck.
Edited by: "P_nnyPinch_r" 6th Jun 2015
Original Poster
joey1352

Water softener salt works well I think, or just pour normal salt in the … Water softener salt works well I think, or just pour normal salt in the cracks and use a knife to actually dig it into the soil a little

Salt does look to be an option, mixed with washing up liquid, also white vinegar is said to be good, but Salt should last longer if used in bigger quantities.
Now where can I get it in a big bag (like a bag of sand from B&Q) ?
eBay - clinic ace it's what farmers use. Dilute at 50:1.
p.s it's won't harm animals unless you give it them to drink.
Banned
Have you considered pinning weed matting under the gravel / path ? goodbye weeds forever.
Original Poster
joemaries

eBay - clinic ace it's what farmers use. Dilute at 50:1.

Info reads just like Roundup, also similar price so not ideal for me. Thanks though.
Original Poster
empire7

Have you considered pinning weed matting under the gravel / path ? … Have you considered pinning weed matting under the gravel / path ? goodbye weeds forever.

A bit late for that I'm afraid.
I started using salt after they banned sodium chlorate. Salt works but you have to do it right. Choose warm weather when there's no rain forecast. Wet the foliage first because you want the salt to stick to it, not bounce off, and put plenty on. This time of year the weeds will start wilting and dieing quite quickly, within a day, and the salt stays in the soil and prevents new growth for a while after; a couple of months if we don't get much rain, less if we get a wet summer. I apply it about 4 times a year. I tried various vinegar / washing up liquid concoctions as well but they were more expensive and didn't prevent regrowth. As for where to buy salt, don't assume buying a big bag is cheaper - it should be but sometimes buying it at supermarkets and discount stores in 1kg bags can work out cheaper.
Original Poster
cheejy

Ammonium Sulphamate (_;)

Interesting reading, cheers for this
Original Poster
Delbert Grady

I started using salt after they banned sodium chlorate. Salt works but … I started using salt after they banned sodium chlorate. Salt works but you have to do it right. Choose warm weather when there's no rain forecast. Wet the foliage first because you want the salt to stick to it, not bounce off, and put plenty on. This time of year the weeds will start wilting and dieing quite quickly, within a day, and the salt stays in the soil and prevents new growth for a while after; a couple of months if we don't get much rain, less if we get a wet summer. I apply it about 4 times a year. I tried various vinegar / washing up liquid concoctions as well but they were more expensive and didn't prevent regrowth. As for where to buy salt, don't assume buying a big bag is cheaper - it should be but sometimes buying it at supermarkets and discount stores in 1kg bags can work out cheaper.

Great information, where do you buy it? I'll have to start collecting prices from places around me.
we use roundup and it works well
The problem with salt as a weedkiller, is that it can diffuse into the soil and harm nearby plant roots.
The ideal path weedkiller contains two types, one to knock them down, and a pre-emergence persistent one to prevent new growth.

Other suggestions seem to be white vinegar - acetic acid is used in some weedkillers - or a vinegar + salt combo, the vinegar providing the knockdown, while the salt is more persistent.
homeguides.sfgate.com/use…tml
i was told a while ago salt mixed in hot water works well. You can use road grit which is salt granules (rock salt the same stuff used on roads). I dont know if any diy retailers will store it now but try selco or ebay or just online.

Comment

darkovo

Salt does look to be an option, mixed with washing up liquid, also white … Salt does look to be an option, mixed with washing up liquid, also white vinegar is said to be good, but Salt should last longer if used in bigger quantities.Now where can I get it in a big bag (like a bag of sand from B&Q) ?

Drive around and look for yellow plastic bins on the side of the road. It's free :-)

Rock salt as used to grit the roads will work use fine.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions