Groups

Whats the biggest size external usb hard drive you can get for a laptop that doesn't need a power supply?

Plus does anyone know where I can get one cheap? Rep given to anyone who can help.
    My itunes music is eating all my memory but would prefer to get an external hard drive as my laptop isn't great and dont think it will last much longer. Would like one that doesn't need to be plugged in if possible but ideally about 300gb. Just wondering if anything is available. I know you can get the usb sticks about 16gb but thats too small.
    Thanks

13 Comments

Banned

Currently 500GB is the largest Ive seen.

500gb

(~£80)

Not sure
    but i got a 500gb Western Digital hard drive for xmas, it runs off USB power

Banned

abomination;3957516

500gb

Good Answer...... Nice avy :w00t:

It really depends on your laptop's USB output. Mine complains that the USB power output has reached its limit when adding an external harddrive of any size.

guv;3957522

Good Answer...... Nice avy :w00t:

Don't even go there, my bit is better than your byte.

+1

Original Poster

Predikuesi;3957548

It really depends on your laptop's USB output. Mine complains that the … It really depends on your laptop's USB output. Mine complains that the USB power output has reached its limit when adding an external harddrive of any size.

Ok thanks, any ideas how I find out what the USB output is?
    Thanks

Q. Ok thanks, any ideas how I find out what the USB output is?

A. In device manager 500m(something)

Original Poster

Ok thanks guys. Has anybody seen any good deals about? I'm looking for about 200 or 300gb. Don't really know where to start looking for something like that.
    Thanks

beverley1403;3957772

Ok thanks, any ideas how I find out what the USB output is?Thanks

Sorry I don't know that. Anyway, you can get an extra USB cord to give the drive the power it needs. PC World ought to stock these. BTW. My laptop is about 6 years old and only has USB 1, so yours will probably be ok in the power department.

Original Poster

guru_the;3957799

Q. Ok thanks, any ideas how I find out what the USB output is?A. In … Q. Ok thanks, any ideas how I find out what the USB output is?A. In device manager 500m(something)

Ummm.... Sorry I'm not brill at computers and haven't got a clue where that is!:oops:

Original Poster

Predikuesi;3957817

Sorry I don't know that. Anyway, you can get an extra USB cord to give … Sorry I don't know that. Anyway, you can get an extra USB cord to give the drive the power it needs. PC World ought to stock these. BTW. My laptop is about 6 years old and only has USB 1, so yours will probably be ok in the power department.

Mines about 4 years old but its got 4 USBs 2 on either side so maybe it will be alright.

Most drives come with a double plugged cable anyway, if it's struggling on one port just plug the other end in too.

You should be able to buy a 320gb drive for under £55, 250gb for about £40.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)64490
      2. One for the mathmeticians1320
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767420
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value1216

See more discussions