Whats the cheapest way to post USA ebay items to UK?

Found 24th Nov 2017
I am thinking about purchasing a £131 used electric skillet (brand is Saladmaster) from USA as they are cheaper and more available there.

The delivery is £43 and $41 import charge.

I have never ordered from ebay USA before. So is there anyway of making the delivery cheaper? And also is there a way of saving the import charge? The item is used and its from a private seller.

Thanks in advance

ebay.co.uk/itm…oUS
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
You do realise it will probably be 110V AC?
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 24th Nov 2017
No way around not paying the import charge.
Per eBay: "If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you’ll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. Please note there is also an £8 Parcel Force Fee for collecting the Import VAT. "
It doesn' matter if the item is new or used.
Your going to need a transformer to run it. It clearly says 120 volts only on it
Wouldn't it be better to buy a new one rather than pay the extra charges from possibly Amazon which has free delivery
Toptrumpet1 h, 3 m ago

Wouldn't it be better to buy a new one rather than pay the extra charges …Wouldn't it be better to buy a new one rather than pay the extra charges from possibly Amazon which has free delivery

A brand new electric skillet costs around £900. This is a rip off price, but the item is good hence I don't mind buying for couple of hundred pounds.
OBH6UK24th Nov

You do realise it will probably be 110V AC?

Wadda23 h, 55 m ago

Your going to need a transformer to run it. It clearly says 120 volts only …Your going to need a transformer to run it. It clearly says 120 volts only on it

Sorry, I am not electric literate. What does this really mean? If we connect the electric power supply to a UK socket then wouldn't this be okay? Thanks
urinthematrix26 m ago

Sorry, I am not electric literate. What does this really mean? If we …Sorry, I am not electric literate. What does this really mean? If we connect the electric power supply to a UK socket then wouldn't this be okay? Thanks

No it could be very dangerous as it is 120V. Buy electrical goods in the UK or possibly Europe not from the USA.

UK / Europe mains voltage is harmonised at 230V (220-240V) 50Hz and USA is 110V (110-120V) 60Hz.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 25th Nov 2017
OBH6UK25th Nov 2017

No it could be very dangerous as it is 120V. Buy electrical goods in the …No it could be very dangerous as it is 120V. Buy electrical goods in the UK or possibly Europe not from the USA.UK / Europe mains voltage is harmonised at 230V (220-240V) 50Hz and USA is 110V (110-120V) 60Hz.

Hi, thank you for your explanation. I have someone who is selling electric skillet on Gumtree, he purchased it from USA, and he changed the plug to UK version, would this be okay /safe?
I doubt it. As above I would expect it to be 110 -120V, changing the plug won't alter the voltage. You need to look at the base and check the voltage rating before purchasing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions