Groups

What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R???

This isn't a joke (incase it sounds like it). I just wondered coz they're the same price.

16 Comments

i think you get a bit more on the plus i could be wrong tho

It was a new format introduced after dvd-rw came out but theres no difference - jsut depends what your recorder can read

Original Poster

Thanks all - rep being left now

My laptop will only write on dvd-r, not dvd+r. Something to do with the compatibility of the dvd writer and the disk. You should check out the format of the dvd rewriter you're planning on using.

Original Poster

I've been using DVD-R and had no problems, so, as there's not much, if any, difference I'll stick to what I know I think!! Was just curious. Thanks again all x

I think there were differences back in the day, with video playback etc. Now though I done think there is much difference.

It's "-+":-d

Banned

DVD+R are easier to perform multi-session recording on some standalone dvd recorders and for editing recordings. Need finalising to play on other recorders.

DVD-R are harder to perform editing functions on. No finalization required.

Most recorders can now record to either format so the two different formats are less of an issue than they used to be however it is worth checking both what format your recorder supports and if you're playing back using a DVD player check which format it supports as they can be often just one rather than both.

John

one slight but unmentioned detail is u can get dual layer +RW discs @8.4Gb
    so if u are planning to buy a dvd-recorder for under telly try and make sure it supports these, most newish pc drives can handle both

Banned

its all dependant upon whether your drivr is compatable with + or -

my laptop refuses to play -cdrw and -dvdr but its fine with +

nothing they cancel each other out

ROKO;1964368

its all dependant upon whether your drivr is compatable with + or -my … its all dependant upon whether your drivr is compatable with + or -my laptop refuses to play -cdrw and -dvdr but its fine with +

have to admit i have never heard of a pc or laptop that was purely +RW based so sounds like a different issue alltogether
    and cds do not have the issues so that is nothing to do with the format

Banned

maddogb;1964543

have to admit i have never heard of a pc or laptop that was purely +RW … have to admit i have never heard of a pc or laptop that was purely +RW based so sounds like a different issue alltogether and cds do not have the issues so that is nothing to do with the format

so why then does it say "insert a writeable disc" when a -cdrw disc is used despite it brand new/blank

and have no probs with +cd disc?

ROKO;1964719

so why then does it say "insert a writeable disc" when a -cdrw disc is … so why then does it say "insert a writeable disc" when a -cdrw disc is used despite it brand new/blankand have no probs with +cd disc?

there is no such thing as a +cd disc there is cdr and cdrw only, and i would imagine it is down to how you have your software setup, which software are u using?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions