Groups

Whats the difference between DVI-I & DVI-D?

I currently have a 9800GT graphics card and a Samsung SM2032MW TV/Monitor. They are connected by a VGA cable with an adapter on the graphics card. If I wanted to use a DVI cable, would I need a DVI-I to DVI-I or a DVI-D to DVI-D cable? (The monitor has both VGA and DVI sockets)

Also will a DVI cable give a much better picture or should I just stick to the VGA cable?

Rep for any help, thanks.

8 Comments

http://dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/Monitor/277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

The main advantage is never needing to 'Auto-Adjust'

Picture quality is not something I could really notice tbh...

Original Poster

Cheers, so a DVI-D to DVI-D cable should do the job :thumbsup:

+rep

airey;3668122

Cheers, so a DVI-D to DVI-D cable should do the job :thumbsup:+rep

That's what I use but it depends on the screen and card...

DVI-D is usually right!

airey;3668122

Cheers, so a DVI-D to DVI-D cable should do the job :thumbsup:+rep

Yes, the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D is that DVI-I has an analogue component to give you a VGA connection with an adapter however for use with DVI it's the same cable regardless.

John

Well DVI-I will carry both analogue (vga) and digital signals.

Your graphics card must be DVI-I as you're using a VGA adapter on it. Some screens do have DVI-I ports but as yours is a cheap one I guess it's just got DVI-D. So in this case you want a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

Original Poster

Thanks all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635
      2. What is there free to do in your town?25
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …278965
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020

See more discussions