Groups

What's the difference between 'free range' and 'organic'?

Banned
    It seems that most people are confused by these terms and think they are the same. Indeed, I cannot find much on the internet to dispute this but always thought 'organic' meant the animals were fed a better diet and not pumped full of drugs etc, NOT that they were reared in a more humane way which is what free range means.

Then again, free range doesn't mean they have had an organic diet and not been fed growth hormones etc. Does it?

Anyone know for definite what the differences are?

7 Comments

organic is the same as free range but there are no pesticides used in the process (i think)

Original Poster Banned

So really we should be going for organic over free range then. Just found this site which seems pretty detailed.

aboutorganics.co.uk/org…htm

I thought organic relates to the food they eat (no pesticides/non-GM etc) but doesn't necessarily mean free range, although in practise most likely is. I don't think you'd be hard pressed to find organic eggs from cage birds for example.

Original Poster Banned

BEANZ-ON-TOAST;3736878

I thought organic relates to the food they eat (no pesticides/non-GM etc) … I thought organic relates to the food they eat (no pesticides/non-GM etc) but doesn't necessarily mean free range, although in practise most likely is. I don't think you'd be hard pressed to find organic eggs from cage birds for example.

This is the problem. No-one seems to have the definitive answer so people may well be paying for organic thinking it has benefits but the animals are treated no better than intensively farmed ones (which is disgusting - KFC are probably the worst culprits).

I understand that farmers and rearers can still use a certain number of chemicals on crops and animals and they can still be classed as organic. A lot of people confuse organic with fresh. In my opinion fresh is best as such produce contains more of the vitamins and nutrients that it 'grew' with.

Here's a link to info on chemicals used on organic crops. I know you should be wary of some things you read on the web but I have also read similar articles in gardening and food magazines.
    ]http//ww…tml

To be pedantic I understand that the word organic scientifically refers to anything which contains carbon.

Comments above about organic and caged birds is correct. If a caged bird is fed organic food and treated with organic chemicals it could be classified as organic chicken but still have led a miserable life. Free range birds may have been fed and treated with non-organic materials but will have led a much better life and actually have a different texture and taste. In my opinion the equivalent of "fresh".

As you can tell I am not a vegetarian but do eat lots of fresh vegetables that I grow myself without man-made chemicals. It's a constant battle with slugs and other pests but I usually win enough to eat. No colds or "man flu" for some years now!!

Original Poster Banned

Pugwash;3736957

I understand that farmers and rearers can still use a certain number of … I understand that farmers and rearers can still use a certain number of chemicals on crops and animals and they can still be classed as organic. A lot of people confuse organic with fresh. In my opinion fresh is best as such produce contains more of the vitamins and nutrients that it 'grew' with.Here's a link to info on chemicals used on organic crops. I know you should be wary of some things you read on the web but I have also read similar articles in gardening and food magazines.http://www.biotech-info.net/deadly_chemicals.htmlTo be pedantic I understand that the word organic scientifically refers to anything which contains carbon.Comments above about organic and caged birds is correct. If a caged bird is fed organic food and treated with organic chemicals it could be classified as organic chicken but still have led a miserable life. Free range birds may have been fed and treated with non-organic materials but will have led a much better life and actually have a different texture and taste. In my opinion the equivalent of "fresh".As you can tell I am not a vegetarian but do eat lots of fresh vegetables that I grow myself without man-made chemicals. It's a constant battle with slugs and other pests but I usually win enough to eat. No colds or "man flu" for some years now!!

Me too but bizarrely have just caught my first case of "manflu" in years :x ;-)

csiman;3736994

Me too but bizarrely have just caught my first case of "manflu" in years … Me too but bizarrely have just caught my first case of "manflu" in years :x ;-)

I forgot to mention I drink lots of real ale too!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I daren't make a recommendation (drink aware and all that) but I'm sure it helps!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sky Store £2 Voucher23
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?1116
      3. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25101
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767262

See more discussions