Groups

What's the difference between Freesat from Sky £150 and Payonce watch forever £75

Apart from the price that is...
    freesatfromsky.co.uk/pay…spx

31 Comments

payonce is cheaper and seems better option.
    Would it be possibly something daft like you get a replacement box with freesat if yours ever went faulty and you wouldnt with pay once???

Original Poster

dean3988;3122970

]4 the lazy

The URL was actually in my initial post. I mean it doesn't make sense when you look at it. Also has anyone managed to connect ANOTHER FTA receiver to the antenna or is it TOO small?

As usual with Sky the comparison is very subjective. I mean, one of the criteria is "Aerial Upgrade Required" for which there is none for Sky's products of course but is a requirement for Freeview. Ironically, there is no mention of "Dish Required". Sky also love to give a mention that the equipment they provide for their Pay Once Watch Forever service is £75 as opposed to £150 from Freesat but obviously don't reveal that many Freesat boxes are capable of DVB-S2 reception - Sky's box is DVB-S only. DVB-S2 boxes can decode HD channels.

To explain what Freesat is rather than reading Sky's propaganda, Freesat provides non-Sky channels broadcasted from the Astra satellite as used by Sky. It is a joint venture by BBC and ITV and as it is not licenced to broadcast Sky's own channels there are slightly less channels available than Sky's offering. However, many Freesat boxes do have ITV, BBC and Channel 4 HD channels in their line up - Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever box only conforms to DVB-S protocols so are not capable of decoding HD content.

There is usually a charge for installation of a Freesat package though and I believe this to be around £80. However, if you need Freesat for HD content, then it is cheaper to go with Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever package for £75 which includes installation (but no HD channels) then buy the Freesat package afterwards without the need for the £80 installation fee.

Banned

siliconbits;3123004

Also has anyone managed to connect ANOTHER FTA receiver to the antenna or … Also has anyone managed to connect ANOTHER FTA receiver to the antenna or is it TOO small?

I use mine on my Sky box AND on my Technomate HD box to get the extra channels my sky box cant receive.

Original Poster

guv;3123180

I use mine on my Sky box AND on my Technomate HD box to get the extra … I use mine on my Sky box AND on my Technomate HD box to get the extra channels my sky box cant receive.

Hold on. What you are telling me is that you can connect TWO boxes to that single small satellite dish without any additional hardware? What kind of channels do you get? I am after French channels mostly.

Original Poster

ElliottC;3123065

As usual with Sky the comparison is very subjective. I mean, one of the … As usual with Sky the comparison is very subjective. I mean, one of the criteria is "Aerial Upgrade Required" for which there is none for Sky's products of course but is a requirement for Freeview. Ironically, there is no mention of "Dish Required". Sky also love to give a mention that the equipment they provide for their Pay Once Watch Forever service is £75 as opposed to £150 from Freesat but obviously don't reveal that many Freesat boxes are capable of DVB-S2 reception - Sky's box is DVB-S only. DVB-S2 boxes can decode HD channels.To explain what Freesat is rather than reading Sky's propaganda, Freesat provides non-Sky channels broadcasted from the Astra satellite as used by Sky. It is a joint venture by BBC and ITV and as it is not licenced to broadcast Sky's own channels there are slightly less channels available than Sky's offering. However, many Freesat boxes do have ITV, BBC and Channel 4 HD channels in their line up - Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever box only conforms to DVB-S protocols so are not capable of decoding HD content.There is usually a charge for installation of a Freesat package though and I believe this to be around £80. However, if you need Freesat for HD content, then it is cheaper to go with Sky's Pay Once Watch Forever package for £75 which includes installation (but no HD channels) then buy the Freesat package afterwards without the need for the £80 installation fee.

Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't understand why someone would still fork out an extra £155 (£75 + £80) to get Sky's Freesat service. Is it only because of the HD channels then or did I miss something?

siliconbits;3123240

Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't understand why someone would still … Pardon my ignorance, but I still don't understand why someone would still fork out an extra £155 (£75 + £80) to get Sky's Freesat service. Is it only because of the HD channels then or did I miss something?

Freesat isn't Sky so I am confused? Freesat is a joint venture by BBC and ITV and many of the boxes that use the Freesat service are capable of receiving the free HD channels. Sky also have the equipment to receive these HD channels but the equipment provided by their Pay Once Watch Forever service is based on older DVB-S protocols and cannot receive HD channels. However, Sky's equipment can receive channels such as Sky One and Sky's other channels (which stands to reason really). Theoretically, both Sky and Freesat can receive anything broadcasted by the Astra satellite but for licensing reasons and technological reasons, Sky's offering provides Sky's own channels whereas Freesat are prohibited from doing this but most Freesat equipment (but NOT ALL) have the capability of providing HD channels such as BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD (either currently or imminently).

With regards to you using more than one satellite box connected to a dish (it can be a mixture of both Sky or Freesat), you will need an LNB on your dish that can supply at least 2 feeds. You should never split a single feed into 2 separate feeds into 2 boxes as electrical signals have to be passed back up the feed.

Original Poster

ElliottC;3123305

Freesat isn't Sky so I am confused? Freesat is a joint venture by BBC and … Freesat isn't Sky so I am confused? Freesat is a joint venture by BBC and ITV and many of the boxes that use the Freesat service are capable of receiving the free HD channels. Sky also have the equipment to receive these HD channels but the equipment provided by their Pay Once Watch Forever service is based on older DVB-S protocols and cannot receive HD channels. However, Sky's equipment can receive channels such as Sky One and Sky's other channels (which stands to reason really). Theoretically, both Sky and Freesat can receive anything broadcasted by the Astra satellite but for licensing reasons and technological reasons, Sky's offering provides Sky's own channels whereas Freesat are prohibited from doing this but most Freesat equipment (but NOT ALL) have the capability of providing HD channels such as BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD (either currently or imminently).With regards to you using more than one satellite box connected to a dish (it can be a mixture of both Sky or Freesat), you will need an LNB on your dish that can supply at least 2 feeds. You should never split a single feed into 2 separate feeds into 2 boxes as electrical signals have to be passed back up the feed.

I am not comfortable with actually tinkering with the dish. Is there like a manual switch that can be installed indoors to toggle between to boxes.

Banned

siliconbits;3123468

I am not comfortable with actually tinkering with the dish. Is there like … I am not comfortable with actually tinkering with the dish. Is there like a manual switch that can be installed indoors to toggle between to boxes.

Yes. You can buy a splitter. That means you can only watch one, not the other. However "tinkering" isnt how I would describe what you need to do. A 5 year old could do it - its that simple.

Banned

siliconbits;3123211

Hold on. What you are telling me is that you can connect TWO boxes to … Hold on. What you are telling me is that you can connect TWO boxes to that single small satellite dish without any additional hardware? What kind of channels do you get? I am after French channels mostly.

Yes, I am telling you that you can connect 2 receivers to it. (More if you want!)

The extra channels on that satellite however that a normal sky box cant get are the HD ones.... hence my mention of Technomate HD.

Original Poster

guv;3123546

Yes. You can buy a splitter. That means you can only watch one, not the … Yes. You can buy a splitter. That means you can only watch one, not the other. However "tinkering" isnt how I would describe what you need to do. A 5 year old could do it - its that simple.

Thanks mate. Where can I find one? Are there any tutorial I can read from?

siliconbits;3123468

I am not comfortable with actually tinkering with the dish. Is there like … I am not comfortable with actually tinkering with the dish. Is there like a manual switch that can be installed indoors to toggle between to boxes.

A coaxial switcher will allow you to switch the input to one of several outputs (eg. bestondigital.com/p19…tml). You must not use a splitter for reasons I highlighted earlier. I know companies like Maplin sell splitters but you should not use them because the voltages passed back up to the dish won't be sent correctly (think about what happens when an electrical current flows through a junction in a wire).

A multi input LNB is a much better option as it allows for each box to receive an active feed - with a switcher, only one output is active.This maplin.co.uk/Mod…171 is an example of a twin LNB and they can be fitted easily. If your dish already has an LNB that provides more than one output then all you need is extra cabling.

Banned

siliconbits;3123616

Thanks mate. Where can I find one? Are there any tutorial I can read from?

Any satellite shop or decent electrical retailler or gadget shop like maplins will sell them. As for tutorial.............. not needed. You screw the F connector cable on the cable from the dish (currently on your sky box) in one end, then 2 seperate F connector leads from the switch to the two receivers. No further instruction needed!

Banned

ElliottC;3123636

A multi input LNB is a much better option as it allows for each box to … A multi input LNB is a much better option as it allows for each box to receive an active feed - with a switcher, only one output is active.This http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47171 is an example of a twin LNB and they can be fitted easily. If your dish already has an LNB that provides more than one output then all you need is extra cabling.

Agreed. And its mad to to do it this way IMHO.

guv;3123659

It is also much safer. Bear in mind that an 18V signal needs to be sent back up to the LNB for vertical and horizonal modes. Simply splitting the satellite input will cause the wrong signals to be sent to the LNB and the satellite receiver and can cause damage. So how do splitters sold by Maplin and others work without causing damage? Well, the splitters use one master port to send the voltages rather than splitting the voltages per se, in order to transmit back the 18V signal for horizontal and vertical polarity. However, if the circuitry inside the splitter box breaks, there is a high chance that this will fail causing a simple split in the signal. That is why I much rather recommend a multi LNB rather than splitter boxes. For those who simply want to a simple split of the signal, then it is a resounding NO, NO, NO!!

Original Poster

guv;3123659

ElliottC;3123636

A coaxial switcher will allow you to switch the input to one of several … A coaxial switcher will allow you to switch the input to one of several outputs (eg. http://www.bestondigital.com/p19136/RCA-VH71-2-way-Coaxial-Cable-Switch/product_info.html). You must not use a splitter for reasons I highlighted earlier. I know companies like Maplin sell splitters but you should not use them because the voltages passed back up to the dish won't be sent correctly (think about what happens when an electrical current flows through a junction in a wire).A multi input LNB is a much better option as it allows for each box to receive an active feed - with a switcher, only one output is active.This http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47171 is an example of a twin LNB and they can be fitted easily. If your dish already has an LNB that provides more than one output then all you need is extra cabling.

guv;3123653

Any satellite shop or decent electrical retailler or gadget shop like … Any satellite shop or decent electrical retailler or gadget shop like maplins will sell them. As for tutorial.............. not needed. You screw the F connector cable on the cable from the dish (currently on your sky box) in one end, then 2 seperate F connector leads from the switch to the two receivers. No further instruction needed!

The plan is to get the Sky guys to come and install the satellite dish. This will come with one LNB and one Cable. If I chose to have two LNB, that would mean having two cables? And since I am leaving in a rented accommodation, I don't think it will be a good idea to have several holes in the wall.

siliconbits;3123762

The plan is to get the Sky guys to come and install the satellite dish. … The plan is to get the Sky guys to come and install the satellite dish. This will come with one LNB and one Cable. If I chose to have two LNB, that would mean having two cables? And since I am leaving in a rented accommodation, I don't think it will be a good idea to have several holes in the wall.

You can have one hole for 2 cables - just a slightly bigger hole. If you wish to split the signal that is your prerogative but a switcher rather than a splitter is much less likely to cause damage to your equipment if it fails. If you do go for a a splitter have a look at this maplin.co.uk/Mod…273 but I do cringe at the thought of using a splitter for satellite signals.

That link you posted about digital and coaxial splitter isn't the right equipment to use. It only switches digital sound signals on coax cables. I think your best bet is to talk to the Sky Engineer when you have your dish installed. Ask the engineer to put a twin LNB for you rather than a single one (even if you havn't got immediate plans to use it). Most of the time they will be happy to fit a twin LNB. When I had Sky+ installed, I asked the enginner to give me a quad LNB and he had no problems doing that.

Original Poster

ElliottC;3123813

You can have one hole for 2 cables - just a slightly bigger hole. If you … You can have one hole for 2 cables - just a slightly bigger hole. If you wish to split the signal that is your prerogative but a switcher rather than a splitter is much less likely to cause damage to your equipment if it fails. If you do go for a a splitter have a look at this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9273 but I do cringe at the thought of using a splitter for satellite signals.

What about the coaxial switch I listed above from maplin?

siliconbits;3123841

Sorry, I edited my reply as you posted the question. See my edited reply above.

Original Poster

ElliottC;3123870

Sorry, I edited my reply as you posted the question. See my edited reply … Sorry, I edited my reply as you posted the question. See my edited reply above.

Elliott, I will go ahead with your proposal and thanks beforehand. Alternatively, I was just wondering whether a "New Magnavox A/B 2-Way Coax Switch" (google the term for more info), might do the trick. Ta

siliconbits;3123841

Oh you may find this an interesting read about switching (as opposed to splitting) satellite signals:

acehardware.com/sm-…tml

siliconbits;3123919

Elliott, I will go ahead with your proposal and thanks beforehand. … Elliott, I will go ahead with your proposal and thanks beforehand. Alternatively, I was just wondering whether a "New Magnavox A/B 2-Way Coax Switch" (google the term for more info), might do the trick. Ta

Yes it should. The seller has called it a splitter but it isn't! It's a switcher which is what you need.

10% off Sky Pay Once Watch Forever from Dixons code is 10FVR until 16th October.

If you don’t have a dish already it's a bit of a no brainer and a foot in the door for Non-sky Free HD TV.

For £75 I get a dish, installation and a basic $ky box and viewing card to keep forever and I get to watch 4 months of Sky Mix Channels worth about £70. I'll just get a FreeSat HD PVR at some stage and maybe flog the Sky Box (the Humax one will pick up $ky free to air + Freesat).

I needed a new Freeview aerial & coax installation anyway which would doubtless cost me more than £75 and a Freesat dish installation is £80 without a box.

It's a win win situation at Murdochs expense as far as I'm concerned. :-D

Banned

siliconbits;3123762

The plan is to get the Sky guys to come and install the satellite dish. … The plan is to get the Sky guys to come and install the satellite dish. This will come with one LNB and one Cable. If I chose to have two LNB, that would mean having two cables? And since I am leaving in a rented accommodation, I don't think it will be a good idea to have several holes in the wall.

I'd say your best bet is to ask them to fit a quad LNB and twin cable at the time of fitting. I'm sure they would accomodate your request for a few sheckles!

Original Poster

guv;3131972

I'd say your best bet is to ask them to fit a quad LNB and twin cable at … I'd say your best bet is to ask them to fit a quad LNB and twin cable at the time of fitting. I'm sure they would accomodate your request for a few sheckles!

Just out of curiosity. Are they proper Sky employees or contractors? Is the "sheckles exchange hands" process something that's commonly done?

Original Poster

kar999;3131551

10% off Sky Pay Once Watch Forever from Dixons code is 10FVR until 16th … 10% off Sky Pay Once Watch Forever from Dixons code is 10FVR until 16th October.If you don’t have a dish already it's a bit of a no brainer and a foot in the door for Non-sky Free HD TV. For £75 I get a dish, installation and a basic $ky box and viewing card to keep forever and I get to watch 4 months of Sky Mix Channels worth about £70. I'll just get a FreeSat HD PVR at some stage and maybe flog the Sky Box (the Humax one will pick up $ky free to air + Freesat).I needed a new Freeview aerial & coax installation anyway which would doubtless cost me more than £75 and a Freesat dish installation is £80 without a box.It's a win win situation at Murdochs expense as far as I'm concerned. :-D

I am sure you can get a few pounds off from Quidco ;-)

Banned

siliconbits;3133214

Just out of curiosity. Are they proper Sky employees or contractors? Is … Just out of curiosity. Are they proper Sky employees or contractors? Is the "sheckles exchange hands" process something that's commonly done?

All the installers (dont call them engineers!!!!) are contractors.

I'd say probably not common - though I doubt many want anything other than a standard installation. But I very much doubt they would refuse if you offered them a tenner to use twin cable and quad LNB. All money in their pocket!!! :w00t:

The installer who fitted mine was not from $ky but a sub-contracted firm. He was happy to fit a Quad LNB and dual cables so long as I covered the extra costs and we agreed on £20. I was hoping for a freebie but I did get a pucker receipt (and warranty) and I dont have to pay for any future upgrades now.

The splitter and cables for using a single LNB etc. from Maplins worked out at £20.

Banned

You've not done too bad. If he had said no, you would be taking out the LNB and cable and fitting your own Quad and duel cable, which would have cost you more than £20.

Doesnt matter about the warrenty issue. Its been installed by their installer. If it went wrong (and it wont probably), you'd still be covered for a year.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Beds55
      2. Jury service1519
      3. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother56
      4. Ideas to decorate bedroom24

See more discussions