Whats the difference between these 2 oils ?

Posted 28th Feb
I have passat 2008 diesel and there is some fraction when I change gears, so I guess gear oil needs topping up, EuroCarParts suggest followings,

3414439-0QoKm.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Don't know. What I do know is that using the wrong oil reduces a nice car to a pile of near worthless scrap.

A good source of info is via Honest John. email letters@honestjohn.co.uk
Edited by: "ccnp" 28th Feb
Might not be oil at all, it could be shift linkages needing lubricated, would advise taking to a garage as I wouldn't advise blindly topping up as you could be mixing and causing damage.
Edited by: "colinged" 28th Feb
Gear oil does not usually need topping up unless you have got a leak somewhere, most cars will go their entire lives without the gearbox oil being changed. That said it can evaporate over time so checking is not a bad thing.

Not sure what you mean by fraction, presume it's a typo for friction. Without the ability to know what you are experiencing I would first suspect the clutch and get that looked at.

I'm going out on a limb at the risk of being shot down but guess you have limited experience in car maintenance otherwise you might know that topping up should only need a small bottle, 500ml and not a 5 litre. And if that is the case then topping up the gearbox is not at all as easy as doing the engine oil which is well within the scope of almost anyone to do. You will need to raise the entire car to get under it and maintain a level aspect. The level is checked by undoing the filler plug and routing a tube in from the top (bonnet) area and slowly filling until it dribbles out.

The filler (and drain) plug on the VW's is usually a large torx (poss a T25 or 27) bit. you will need it in a 1/2" size to and get enough torque on the plug. If it looks worn as if someone else has already had a go at it get a garage to do it rather than risk stripping the head.

Personally if I was doing it I'd change the oil and use a good brand like Redline, Motul or direct from dealer. You are 90% of the way to a complete change anyway. It's one more plug to undo and then you'll get the economical benefit of buying the larger size.
Edited by: "Verbal.Kint" 28th Feb
Norseg28/02/2020 09:49

[Video]

That's an engine oil change, not a gearbox.
Verbal.Kint28/02/2020 09:58

That's an engine oil change, not a gearbox.

he sais he needs oil topping up didnt he?
Norseg28/02/2020 14:21

he sais he needs oil topping up didnt he?

No, he said "I guess gear oil needs topping up".
Verbal.Kint28/02/2020 09:57

Gear oil does not usually need topping up unless you have got a leak …Gear oil does not usually need topping up unless you have got a leak somewhere, most cars will go their entire lives without the gearbox oil being changed. That said it can evaporate over time so checking is not a bad thing.Not sure what you mean by fraction, presume it's a typo for friction. Without the ability to know what you are experiencing I would first suspect the clutch and get that looked at.I'm going out on a limb at the risk of being shot down but guess you have limited experience in car maintenance otherwise you might know that topping up should only need a small bottle, 500ml and not a 5 litre. And if that is the case then topping up the gearbox is not at all as easy as doing the engine oil which is well within the scope of almost anyone to do. You will need to raise the entire car to get under it and maintain a level aspect. The level is checked by undoing the filler plug and routing a tube in from the top (bonnet) area and slowly filling until it dribbles out.The filler (and drain) plug on the VW's is usually a large torx (poss a T25 or 27) bit. you will need it in a 1/2" size to and get enough torque on the plug. If it looks worn as if someone else has already had a go at it get a garage to do it rather than risk stripping the head.Personally if I was doing it I'd change the oil and use a good brand like Redline, Motul or direct from dealer. You are 90% of the way to a complete change anyway. It's one more plug to undo and then you'll get the economical benefit of buying the larger size.

"I'm going out on a limb at the risk of being shot down but guess you have limited experience"

That's putting it lightly, he's made 3 separate question posts just about fluids for his car in less than 24 hours.

OP just keep asking in this thread and we'll answer, you don't need to keep making new posts.

My concern for you is that gear oil is emptied from underneath the car and often injected in or funneled in from the top. You shouldn't ever really add extra gear oil if you don't know how much is in. You would be better off doing a full change and only adding what you took out or what is recommended for that specific transmission. A word of warning a full change can even make the shifting worse sometimes especially in automatics.

Personally I also think it's linkages, how many miles on the clock?
Edited by: "mogsog" 28th Feb
sammy12528/02/2020 14:40

No, he said "I guess gear oil needs topping up".

And he posted screen-grab of Transmission Oils.
Verbal.Kint28/02/2020 17:06

And he posted screen-grab of Transmission Oils.

Which is not engine oil.
mogsog28/02/2020 15:48

You shouldn't ever really add extra gear oil if you don't know how much is …You shouldn't ever really add extra gear oil if you don't know how much is in. You would be better off doing a full change and only adding what you took out or what is recommended for that specific transmission. A word of warning a full change can even make the shifting worse sometimes especially in automatics.

Most manual boxes do not have a dip stick or visual indicator for the level and the fill to dribble method is used.

I don't buy into the myth of oil change making the shift worse. If shifting gets worse that implies damage has occurred, which oil simply cannot do. What I do believe can happen is that the oil change will highlight existing conditions, usually old and burnt oil giving less protection to clutch plates and released particles suspended in the oil giving just enough to allow the clutch to work, but still on the way out.

All this is reminding me I've never changed my current car and its just passed the 190k mark.
Edited by: "Verbal.Kint" 28th Feb
Verbal.Kint28/02/2020 17:26

err yes, not sure if your comment is supporting mine?

Got my users mixed up, thought you were the one who posted the video, my bad.
Verbal.Kint28/02/2020 17:23

Most manual boxes do not have a dip stick or visual indicator for the …Most manual boxes do not have a dip stick or visual indicator for the level and the fill to dribble method is used.I don't buy into the myth of oil change making the shift worse. If shifting gets worse that implies damage has occurred, which oil simply cannot do. What I do believe can happen is that the oil change will highlight existing conditions, usually old and burnt oil giving less protection to clutch plates and released particles suspended in the oil giving just enough to allow the clutch to work, but still on the way out.All this is reminding me I've never changed my current car and its just passed the 190k mark.

Most manual boxes do not have a dip stick or visual indicator for the …Most manual boxes do not have a dip stick or visual indicator for the level and the fill to dribble method is used.I don't buy into the myth of oil change making the shift worse. If shifting gets worse that implies damage has occurred, which oil simply cannot do. What I do believe can happen is that the oil change will highlight existing conditions, usually old and burnt oil giving less protection to clutch plates and released particles suspended in the oil giving just enough to allow the clutch to work, but still on the way out.All this is reminding me I've never changed my current car and its just passed the 190k mark.

Totally agree, my phrasing was wrong.

As you say it's already damaged but the crap in the fluid is the only thing stopping the transmission from slipping. It's as damaged as it was before but now it doesn't engage. Either way it's a new transmission.

OP I don't think you should start messing with transmission fluid.
Edited by: "mogsog" 28th Feb
mogsog28/02/2020 17:58

OP I don't think you should start messing with transmission fluid.

Read that and pmsl. A truer word has never been said!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants