Whats the easiest way to pick someone up at gatwick airport south terminal?

Found 24th Feb 2016
I will be arriving at gatwick and being picked up by car but have discovered that you cannot drive into the arrivals / departure points for pickup. It seems the driver must find the short stay parking level 3 orange zone so I was wondering how easy that is to find for both driver and me.

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
AskGatwickSouth Park
13 Comments
Use ur hands:):)
Hang about in the Mcdonalds and ask your friend to call you when they arrive then pick them up from Drop Off short stay, but if you hang about too long they'll move you on so you have to time it right - bit tricky
I agree with above. I park in Tesco's and wait for a phone call. You must be down in the drop off area ready to jump into the car as quickly as possible. I have found the the men in the hi vis jackets will turn a blind eye if you don't hang about.
Original Poster
Thanks. Having looked at the short stay prices (£12 for one hour!); I think it may just be easier / safer to just get a train. Hopefully, I will get a seat on the gatwick - shoreham-by-sea train after 7pm

to be clear, are there only three levels at gatwick (level 0 - bus pickups, level 1 - car drops, level 2 - bus drop offs)?
Edited by: "chocci" 24th Feb 2016
Long stay car park, free for the first 2 hours.
as stated already i always used to wait in mcdonalds and get the person to text me once they have left bagage reclaim
not sure how taking a train there and back works out cheaper though
Original Poster
parvinubhi

Long stay car park, free for the first 2 hours.

Thanks but that involves hanging around for a bus transfer and trying to find my gf in the car park
Original Poster
mattmerch

as stated already i always used to wait in mcdonalds and get the person … as stated already i always used to wait in mcdonalds and get the person to text me once they have left bagage reclaim not sure how taking a train there and back works out cheaper though

Only need to get the train home. £8.40 single and departs every 20 minutes. Petrol alone costs about the same. I will just get picked up now on arrival in my home town
chocci

Only need to get the train home. £8.40 single and departs every 20 … Only need to get the train home. £8.40 single and departs every 20 minutes. Petrol alone costs about the same. I will just get picked up now on arrival in my home town

aha i thought you were doing the picking up not the passenger arriving

Edited by: "Infractionboi" 24th Feb 2016
Original Poster
mattmerch

aha i thought you were doing the picking up not the passenger arriving

Nah, going on holiday with the oh but she is coming back 2 days before me as she can't bear to leave our cat for too long (that's her excuse anyway lol) , so she was going to pick me up when i get back.
Train is the better option.. Save the driving time/ parking hassle/ risk of you standing in one place trying to flag her car down and she driving off without seeing you and having to do a big a circle again around the car parks to come back to the spot....plus, this way, she can have a few extra hours with the cat, and you can add an hour or so to your holidees by getting some wind down chill out time on the train.
samwants2save

Train is the better option.. Save the driving time/ parking hassle/ risk … Train is the better option.. Save the driving time/ parking hassle/ risk of you standing in one place trying to flag her car down and she driving off without seeing you and having to do a big a circle again around the car parks to come back to the spot....plus, this way, she can have a few extra hours with the cat, and you can add an hour or so to your holidees by getting some wind down chill out time on the train.

hmmm, can get a bit hectic with suitcase carnage tbh on the train
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/78/cf/b0/78cfb0bf9bfb139d19abb0838bf3e04e.jpg
Original Poster
samwants2save

Train is the better option.. Save the driving time/ parking hassle/ risk … Train is the better option.. Save the driving time/ parking hassle/ risk of you standing in one place trying to flag her car down and she driving off without seeing you and having to do a big a circle again around the car parks to come back to the spot....plus, this way, she can have a few extra hours with the cat, and you can add an hour or so to your holidees by getting some wind down chill out time on the train.

Thanks. Makes a lot more sense. Hopefully the escalators / ticket machines will be working
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants