Groups

What's the intellect of the majority of tv viewers?

Banned
    Just wondering what people's opinions on this are. The BBC have just started showing The Wire from the beginning. Now it's widely agreed to be one of the greatest pieces of drama ever created for tv, but also quite complex and nuanced.

So why are they showing it at 23:20 on BBC 2? Why not primetime?

34 Comments

i could guess thats its not suitable for all ages

Original Poster Banned

jamespir;4806531

i could guess thats its not suitable for all ages

It has some coarse language and violence. So did Shakespeare. I think I'm more insulted by the storylines in certain 'popular' shows than I am by realistic language.

Its widely regarded that the Daily Mail reading demographic of the audience retire to their beds at 23:00hrs prompt - allow 15/20 mins for them to attend to their ablutions and to fall asleep - just saves on complaints :lol: . . . . . . . . . agree - its a great series

Because the BBC dont know a good thing when they have it! This should be shown at 10pm on BBC2 and when they get the ratings, it would be moved over to BBC 1. It will be lost in this timeslot!

Original Poster Banned

matt10;4806585

Because the BBC dont know a good thing when they have it! This should be … Because the BBC dont know a good thing when they have it! This should be shown at 10pm on BBC2 and when they get the ratings, it would be moved over to BBC 1. It will be lost in this timeslot!

I think this is the same slot they buried Seinfeld in. Arrested Development too if memory serves.

Mad Men is on BBC 4. Dexter is buried on ITV1.

Pj and Duncan (+celebrities you thought were dead) are primetime.

Original Poster Banned

tinkerbell28;4806564

Obvious really, it's the Eastenders special tonight, proper prime time … Obvious really, it's the Eastenders special tonight, proper prime time :-D:whistling:

Because it's a special episode, do you think they might go nuts and hire writers and actors?

Ive watched a couple of episodes a while ago but it didnt really grab me, maybe i will watch it again.

maybe no one gives a rats ass about it?

Primetime is for people who cannot figure out how to use Sky+

shouldnt the title of this be ' why is the wire on bbc 2 at 11:20pm' whats anyones intellect got to do with it? :?

kungfu;4806712

shouldnt the title of this be ' why is the wire on bbc 2 at 11:20pm' … shouldnt the title of this be ' why is the wire on bbc 2 at 11:20pm' whats anyones intellect got to do with it? :?

The OP likes to bring intellect into everything.

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;4806712

shouldnt the title of this be ' why is the wire on bbc 2 at 11:20pm' … shouldnt the title of this be ' why is the wire on bbc 2 at 11:20pm' whats anyones intellect got to do with it? :?

It points to a wider issue that challenging, thought-provoking shows are marginalised in favour of soaps, game shows and celebrity-fame-grabbing.

There's a place for all of them, but I think we're striking the wrong balance. The BBC in particular is supposed to EDUCATE, entertain and INFORM.

Titchimp;4806718

The OP likes to bring intellect into everything.

ah right.... i sensed it was actually a thinly disguised self bigging up thread, well done..you can understand the wire..medal is in the post... yes a lot of people probably cand/dont understand it..or simply dont care and like to watch tv to relax and give their mind a break :thumbsup:

The BBC never know what they want, there's no consistency because they continually move people from job to job.
    I have a mate whose and author and he's friends with a guy in his village who writes for the Beeb.
    He had a 'work in progress' with the Beeb based on vampires, the producer changed and he was talked in for 'talks'.
    The guy sat him down and said, "I like the idea, but do they have to be vampire?"
    "Well that's the concept behind the show, what changes did you have in mind?" he asks, expecting the guy to say something like werewolves or aliens...
    But he comes out with, "I don't know, could they just have aids?"

Not a clue !

i told everyone i know to watch it
    not one did
    they all sky+'d it

everyone works or has kids and at 11.20 they want to be sleeping..its silly of the bbc and no iplayer either

wouldnt be so bad if it was say just monday night it was gonna be on but its mon-fri
    they need to put it on earlier or have double bills and just show 2 or so a week say monday 9-11

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;4806739

ah right.... i sensed it was actually a thinly disguised self bigging up … ah right.... i sensed it was actually a thinly disguised self bigging up thread, well done..you can understand the wire..medal is in the post... yes a lot of people probably cand/dont understand it..or simply dont care and like to watch tv to relax and give their mind a break :thumbsup:

It's not a case of 'bigging myself up'. It's not that complex, as long as you pay attention. I'll watch the odd episode of EastEnders or Two and a Half Men. I also like challenging shows.

I think a lot of people are put off and made to feel 'too stupid' to watch some shows and that's the problem. The BBC pushing it to this type of timeslot only makes it worse.

Put it in primetime and say to the viewers that this type of show is not some confusing, unwieldy behemoth.

They showed Twin Peaks at prime time, How many viewers understood David Lynchs masterpiece?
    Anything with a complex plot with numerous sub-plots will struggle to get a prime time audience.

anyway i think its cack and was completely underwhelmed :w00t:

Original Poster Banned

kungfu;4806830

anyway i think its cack and was completely underwhelmed :w00t:

At least you gave it a shot.

I just think we bury too many great shows on either late-night or digital channels.

Shows like The Daily Show, Deadwood, Battlestar, Lost... These shows should be bought by the BBC and put on in primetime.

Stop making daytime tv...we have enough episodes of Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt if we just repeat them. Hire cheap immigrant actors to act in EastEnders (which would actually make it more realistic).

Original Poster Banned

DKLS;4806782

They showed Twin Peaks at prime time, How many viewers understood David … They showed Twin Peaks at prime time, How many viewers understood David Lynchs masterpiece?Anything with a complex plot with numerous sub-plots will struggle to get a prime time audience.

I don't believe that. Maybe I'm in denial, but I think people are smart enough to understand complex storylines and not have to be fed the same repetitive rubbish like The Apprentice or EastEnders.

FilthAndFurry;4806863

Shows like The Daily Show, Deadwood, Battlestar, Lost... These shows … Shows like The Daily Show, Deadwood, Battlestar, Lost... These shows should be bought by the BBC and put on in primetime..

and then the people who didn't like them could complain that a huge amount of their license fee was going on American imports rather than home grown dramas.

Original Poster Banned

hellfire;4806941

and then the people who didn't like them could complain that a huge … and then the people who didn't like them could complain that a huge amount of their license fee was going on American imports rather than home grown dramas.

Quality programming is quality programming. If they want to get protectionist then fine. I'd rather have well made American programmes than sub-standard British fare. It would also educate young writers on how to construct an engrossing world.

I actually use to support the licence fee but recent events have changed my mind.

It would be cut to heck on primetime.

I've put off watching it as a cousin is buying the entire box set collection, so I may watch the whole thing in one extended weekend of gritty urban realism.

Original Poster Banned

Ungreat;4807091

It would be cut to heck on primetime.I've put off watching it as a cousin … It would be cut to heck on primetime.I've put off watching it as a cousin is buying the entire box set collection, so I may watch the whole thing in one extended weekend of gritty urban realism.

I don't think it's that bad. CSI is on at about the same time and that's more gruesome.

If the BBC commited to quality programming from 8-10, I think the country would be better off. Honest programming leads to honest discussions.

FilthAndFurry;4807123

I don't think it's that bad. CSI is on at about the same time and that's … I don't think it's that bad. CSI is on at about the same time and that's more gruesome. If the BBC commited to quality programming from 8-10, I think the country would be better off. Honest programming leads to honest discussions.

Most people understand 9pm is the watershed but you would be lucky to sneak some of the more colourful language through uncut just after with Daily Mail readers still on the warpath.

I get 90% of my TV off the net and most of the rest from Sky+ so luckily I can watch whenever I wish and don't have to worry about the 'won't somebody please think of the children' brigade. The only show I make a note to watch as it's on is Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe and Newswipe on BBC4.

no people are stupid full stop. most people wouldn't know a good bit of tv if it came up and bit them on the ****.

In your list you forgot to mention the way channel 4 treated the sopranos and 3rd watch, sticking them on at midnight while wife swap etc got prime time wall to wall coverage as well the way bbc treat quality like mad man and especially arrested development.

thankfully with the internet more and more people are cottoning on that they don't have to settle for britains got talent 5 nights a week or poorly written hackneyed soaps.

oh and this isn't limited to the uk. the US is just as bad with excellent shows like firefly being passed over in favour of more dross reality tv nonsense.

Original Poster Banned

Apparently David Simon (the creator of The Wire) was asked why we don't produce much quality programming in this country. He said we needed a subscription-based channel. The reporter replied that we have one - the BBC.

Original Poster Banned

ants97;4807578

no people are stupid full stop. most people wouldn't know a good bit of … no people are stupid full stop. most people wouldn't know a good bit of tv if it came up and bit them on the ****. In your list you forgot to mention the way channel 4 treated the sopranos and 3rd watch, sticking them on at midnight while wife swap etc got prime time wall to wall coverage as well the way bbc treat quality like mad man and especially arrested development.thankfully with the internet more and more people are cottoning on that they don't have to settle for britains got talent 5 nights a week or poorly written hackneyed soaps. oh and this isn't limited to the uk. the US is just as bad with excellent shows like firefly being passed over in favour of more dross reality tv nonsense.

You're right about The Sopranos, and there's also The West Wing (towards the end of it's run), Lost, (which they shouldn't have lost), Studio 60 (although it's self-indulgent it was still better written than anything on British tv), The Office USA (arguably better than the British, certainly considering the number of episodes).

EDIT - we do make some good shows in this country. Life On Mars, State of Play, The Deal, Shameless, Peep Show. Even Law and Order UK isn't terrible (by ITV's standards).

We have the talent. Hugh Laurie, Dominic West, Jamie Bamber, Ian McShane, Idris Elba etc. but look where they are.

FilthAndFurry;4807619

You're right about The Sopranos, and there's also The West Wing (towards … You're right about The Sopranos, and there's also The West Wing (towards the end of it's run), Lost, (which they shouldn't have lost), Studio 60 (although it's self-indulgent it was still better written than anything on British tv), The Office USA (arguably better than the British, certainly considering the number of episodes).

yep add entourage to that list and on the west wing, the final season was scary how close it echoed or mirrored obamas future election.

add the thick of it to that list of british tv as well which if memory served got stuffed away on bbc 4.

Didn't even know this had started airing, stupid BBC. All they plug these days is mindless crap like the Apprentice and Eastenders, how can they expect to get an audience for something like this if they stick it on so late and don't advertise its presence on their schedule?

On the subject of dumbing down, has anyone else noticed the Breakfast news has become nothing more than a vehicle for advertising the latest prime time tat the BBC churn out.

kungfu;4806659

maybe no one gives a rats ass about it?

+1

Intelect has nothing to do with my tv viewing. I work hard enough through the day on my intellect so tv is a nice escape most of the time.

If people believe tv should be the source of their intellect i think that is a poor reflection on them...

cbryanp;4808240

Intelect has nothing to do with my tv viewing. I work hard enough through … Intelect has nothing to do with my tv viewing. I work hard enough through the day on my intellect so tv is a nice escape most of the time. If people believe tv should be the source of their intellect i think that is a poor reflection on them...

normally i'd agree with you as I like nothing better than occaisionally watching some popcorn tv but when it gets to the stage that american idol, wife swap or some dancing nonsense means that the stuff I want to invest a little more thought and time into gets shafted about or cancelled completely then I'm going to shout from the loudest rooftop about the dumbing down of tv and the idiocy of the viewers and tv execs.:x

Original Poster Banned

cbryanp;4808240

Intelect has nothing to do with my tv viewing. I work hard enough through … Intelect has nothing to do with my tv viewing. I work hard enough through the day on my intellect so tv is a nice escape most of the time. If people believe tv should be the source of their intellect i think that is a poor reflection on them...

I disagree totally. Firstly, I don't believe tv is a 'source of intellect'. It doesn't bestow upon you extra IQ points. But it can expand your knowledge about a particular subject.

Secondly, I don't particularly feel that tv is an escape.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764172
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2955
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891819
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24112

See more discussions