Whats the next step to take when a retailer keeps lying and not refunding you?

Posted 3rd JanEdited by:"J4GG4"
Its argos, I bought something online using a gift card 17 days ago, the website came up with a error message, so i place the order again and it went through. Upon checking my gift card balance, they had actually charged me twice. I've spoken to 5 or 6 different people through various different channels (phone calls, facebook, live chat) and they have all told me lies throughout. My last contact was 5 days ago when they said they have 100% pushed the refund through (they said that last time) and I should wait 5 working days, today is the 5th working day and zero refunds.

I don't trust them now. Never been in this situation before, what would be the next best step?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Day 1: Polite minimalistic bullet-pointed letter to Argos reg office
Day 8 if no accecptable resolution: polite minimalistic bullet-pointed 7-day LBA to Argos reg office
Day 15 if no acceptable resolution: blunt MCOL via moneyclaim.gov.uk/web…ome
21 Comments
Day 1: Polite minimalistic bullet-pointed letter to Argos reg office
Day 8 if no accecptable resolution: polite minimalistic bullet-pointed 7-day LBA to Argos reg office
Day 15 if no acceptable resolution: blunt MCOL via moneyclaim.gov.uk/web…ome
5 Business working days ago would have been Xmas Eve. So you might want to work out when the 5th working day is in your situation.

The next step would be to write to Argos (send it by registered post). Explain what happened with the requested outcome (balance added back to your gift card) and a timeframe (10 working days is a reasonable time for an investigation).
GAVINLEWISHUKD03/01/2020 13:21

5 Business working days ago would have been Xmas Eve. So you might want to …5 Business working days ago would have been Xmas Eve. So you might want to work out when the 5th working day is in your situation.The next step would be to write to Argos (send it by registered post). Explain what happened with the requested outcome (balance added back to your gift card) and a timeframe (10 working days is a reasonable time for an investigation).

Usually best not to send by "registered" nor any other signed-for service. Simply send via standard first class mail at Post Office and both retain postage receipt and proof of posting (typically two items); legislation defines such service as definitive and the recipient at the addressed location has received the communication regardless of if RM delivered or not.
As above, you said that you last spoke to them 5 days ago. Since then we have had New Year’s Day which wasn’t a business day and they won’t count Sunday and possibly Saturday as business days either. Plus it’s a very busy time of year for them. But you have it in writing that they are going to give you it back so you have that hold on them.

Basically I know it’s not what you want to hear but if I was you I would hold tight until at least Monday afternoon at the earliest to see whether it is credited back before you escalate it further.
jimmyw56603/01/2020 13:35

As above, you said that you last spoke to them 5 days ago. Since then we …As above, you said that you last spoke to them 5 days ago. Since then we have had New Year’s Day which wasn’t a business day and they won’t count Sunday and possibly Saturday as business days either. Plus it’s a very busy time of year for them. But you have it in writing that they are going to give you it back so you have that hold on them.Basically I know it’s not what you want to hear but if I was you I would hold tight until at least Monday afternoon at the earliest to see whether it is credited back before you escalate it further.

GAVINLEWISHUKD03/01/2020 13:21

5 Business working days ago would have been Xmas Eve. So you might want to …5 Business working days ago would have been Xmas Eve. So you might want to work out when the 5th working day is in your situation.The next step would be to write to Argos (send it by registered post). Explain what happened with the requested outcome (balance added back to your gift card) and a timeframe (10 working days is a reasonable time for an investigation).

I spoke with them at 1pm Monday, their exact words were.. "I expect this to be returned to your card by Friday". As i've spoken to them so many times, I thought they said 5 working days, they did say that at one stage. Regardless if it were 5 working days or not, i've waited 17 days in total, contacted 5 or 6 different representatives and been told various different things each time.

Just now i've spoken to them again, guess what they said? "I've emailed the finance department, this will be back on your card within 48 hours". Its like a script they're copying off a PC as I've heard this line 4 times now, its an absolute load of rubbish.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 3rd Jan
deleted210456803/01/2020 13:41

Comment deleted

We've already established that the order did not go through, hence why they agreed Im due a refund. Im at the stage where they've told me I will get my refund in.. 24 hours, 48 hours, 3 working days, 5 working days and "by friday 3rd". Now its back to 48 hours again. One guy even told me that I don't need to check my gift card balance as I quote "100% this will be on your card within 48 hours as i've personally issued it and it will 100% go through, you don't need to worry". Its getting tiresome.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 3rd Jan
J4GG403/01/2020 13:43

I spoke with them at 1pm Monday, their exact words were.. "I expect this …I spoke with them at 1pm Monday, their exact words were.. "I expect this to be returned to your card by Friday". As i've spoken to them so many times, I thought they said 5 working days, they did say that at one stage. Regardless if it were 5 working days or not, i've waited 17 days in total, contacted 5 or 6 different representatives and been told various different things each time.Just now i've spoken to them again, guess what they said? "I've emailed the finance department, this will be back on your card within 48 hours". Its like a script they're copying off a PC as I've heard this line 4 times now, its an absolute load of rubbish.

Send an email to the CEO. ceoemail.com/s.p…019 It can help get problems sorted quicker than going the legal routes with letters etc.
A few months ago I gave the details of argos, with I think the P.A.'s direct dial number / email

Try looking for that
deleted210456803/01/2020 14:08

Comment deleted

I already placed the order again and picked up the item, which was a Christmas gift for my niece.
AndyRoyd03/01/2020 13:26

Usually best not to send by "registered" nor any other signed-for service. …Usually best not to send by "registered" nor any other signed-for service. Simply send via standard first class mail at Post Office and both retain postage receipt and proof of posting (typically two items); legislation defines such service as definitive and the recipient at the addressed location has received the communication regardless of if RM delivered or not.

If you expect to be taking the legal route then it is not necessary. But people often take more notice of 'signed for post' so might get the outcome you are after in a more timely manner.
But either way at least we both agree on the next step is to send a letter.
GAVINLEWISHUKD03/01/2020 14:23

If you expect to be taking the legal route then it is not necessary. But …If you expect to be taking the legal route then it is not necessary. But people often take more notice of 'signed for post' so might get the outcome you are after in a more timely manner. But either way at least we both agree on the next step is to send a letter.

The issue with signed-for items is that the recipient can choose either not to sign or not collect, which is then counter-productive as the recipient can then legitimately state the "item has not been successfully delivered" and the tracking will show not delivered regardless of the actual reason of non-successful delivery.
Try resolver or find head office ceo and complain there. If you have the evidence of the balance and transactions, send them it all
Go straight to the CEO, always start at the top!!
The Argos refund system is flawed. It will probably go through. They use the standard '5 working days', but each time I've had a refund it has been in excess of 8 working days.
If you have a record of them saying they will refund you, just relax and give it a few days more. Argos are worse than the chinese and their 5 day delivery window.
Chill, just give it a few days, small amount of money is it?
Little update..

I decided to email the CEO as per @Biddy2 post. The next day (Saturday) I was refunded. Someone from their executive office also replied to my email and offered an additional £10 e-voucher and said i'll get it within 48 hours(or will it take 18 days ) . Assuming they'll send me the e-voucher to the email I messaged them on, which is different the email I used to originally place the orders. They do not have my address or anything. Lets see. Not too bothered about the voucher, just wanted the original money returned when they said they would, or ideally instantly. I will be responding to advise them to retrain their staff.

Be careful when using gift cards with Argos guys. Stick to amazon I say.
J4GG405/01/2020 13:19

Little update..I decided to email the CEO as per @Biddy2 post. The next …Little update..I decided to email the CEO as per @Biddy2 post. The next day (Saturday) I was refunded. Someone from their executive office also replied to my email and offered an additional £10 e-voucher and said i'll get it within 48 hours(or will it take 18 days ) . Assuming they'll send me the e-voucher to the email I messaged them on, which is different the email I used to originally place the orders. They do not have my address or anything. Lets see. Not too bothered about the voucher, just wanted the original money returned when they said they would, or ideally instantly. I will be responding to advise them to retrain their staff.Be careful when using gift cards with Argos guys. Stick to amazon I say.

Glad it is sorted.

Did you originally email on the same email that you placed the orders with, or was that a different one? Just wondered if that had added to the delays.
JimboParrot05/01/2020 13:29

Glad it is sorted.Did you originally email on the same email that you …Glad it is sorted.Did you originally email on the same email that you placed the orders with, or was that a different one? Just wondered if that had added to the delays.

Nope, Argos don't have an email option on their contact page.

I always used their customer service number, live chat or facebook chat. They knew the gift card number which links it to the failed transaction from the get go.

The delay was due to incompetent staff who didn't push the refund through the first time I contacted them and consistently gave me false times/dates as to when it will be sorted.

Glad its sorted though, so much hassle chasing things up that are completely out of your hands.
J4GG405/01/2020 13:19

Little update..I decided to email the CEO as per @Biddy2 post. The next …Little update..I decided to email the CEO as per @Biddy2 post. The next day (Saturday) I was refunded. Someone from their executive office also replied to my email and offered an additional £10 e-voucher and said i'll get it within 48 hours(or will it take 18 days ) . Assuming they'll send me the e-voucher to the email I messaged them on, which is different the email I used to originally place the orders. They do not have my address or anything. Lets see. Not too bothered about the voucher, just wanted the original money returned when they said they would, or ideally instantly. I will be responding to advise them to retrain their staff.Be careful when using gift cards with Argos guys. Stick to amazon I say.

Glad to hear it's all sorted out. I'm sure it's not nice to be left short of money over the Christmas period.
RChew6905/01/2020 16:22

Glad to hear it's all sorted out. I'm sure it's not nice to be left short …Glad to hear it's all sorted out. I'm sure it's not nice to be left short of money over the Christmas period.

Yes, it can be a pain during the christmas period.

Thanks
ByeChee.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions