What’s the xl mean for tyres and do i need xl for seat Leon 1.4?

Found 6th Jul
Hi guys my front tyres need changing and I keep getting the option for XL when looking for tyres online? My car is a 2012 Seat Leon 1.4tsi.
Community Updates
AskHome & GardenSeatTyres
7 Comments
I think XL for tyres means is for Alloy rim protection of sorts.
Barthanes8 m ago

I think XL for tyres means is for Alloy rim protection of sorts.

Nope. Quick google = Some vehicles are equipped with “XL” tires. It doesn’t mean that they’re extra large, but it does mean that they are extra-load tires. The load index on these tires is much higher than a standard-load tire, which is why it is important to replace an XL tire with another XL tire.
Also you don’t need them for your car OP
Edited by: "andy186186" 6th Jul
Just check the spec for the OEM tyres and match.
Nothing wrong with having a higher load index than required of course.
parsimony5 m ago

Just check the spec for the OEM tyres and match.Nothing wrong with having …Just check the spec for the OEM tyres and match.Nothing wrong with having a higher load index than required of course.

Couldn't a higher load index mean stiffer tyres and a bumpier ride?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 6th Jul
A higher tyre load capacity increases the resistance to high speeds. Therefore, when a given size and model of tyre with several speed indexes are given, the XL tyre will be associated with the highest speed index.

What Benefits Do Reinforced Tyres Bring?The advantages of reinforced tyres results from their increased load capacity. This includes:

• When normal and reinforced tyres are used in the same way, the latter will last longer. XL tyres can travel for a greater total distance without suffering internal damage, even when under intensive use. This applies so long as the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended pressure is being adhered to.
  • Resistance to mechanical damage caused, for example, by driving at high speeds into the kerb.
  • Better traction and adhesion properties. The tyre’s greater rigidity ensures stability, more effective transmission of the vehicle’s power to the road surface, better handling on corners, a faster reaction to turns and a greater resistance to additional loads and forces.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Reinforced Tyres?Of course, there is no such thing as a perfect tyre. All models are a designed and calculated compromise between various parameters and this still applies to reinforced tyres. The more important drawbacks to reinforced tyres are:

• Higher noise levels. The tyre certification requirements permit reinforced tyres to produce 1 dB (decibel) more noise than normal tyres.
  • The use of reinforcement may involve increasing the thickness of the face (under the tread) and shoulder of the tyre. This, in turn, can cause increased rolling resistance and greater fuel consumption.
  • Reinforcement usually involves an increase in the tyre’s weight and mass, which again leads to higher fuel consumption.
  • Modifications may lead to a lowering of the driving comfort, when compared to using normal tyres, although such differences will be minimal and rarely felt by the driver
Is It Worth Buying Reinforced Tyres?First of all, any information concerning the need to use XL tyres will usually be found in the vehicle’s manual. This will detail what reinforced tyres can be used, giving a recommended pressure value.

This may often apply in the case of vans, large saloons, estate cars and delivery vehicles. Reinforced tyres are also often used in high-performance sports cars. If the vehicle manufacturer has gained certification for the vehicle running on reinforced tyres, then it is unconditionally necessary to comply with that requirement. Buying tyres with a standard load index because they are cheaper than XL tyres is a breach of safety conditions and can have unpleasant consequences. Insurance companies, for example, may refuse to put in the case of an accident.

It is also a good idea to purchase reinforced tyres if:

• You often travel with a significant load. In this case, using XL tyres may improve the lifetime of your tyres.
  • You have a vehicle with a powerful engine. XL tyres will then provide greater stability on corners and a better reaction to both acceleration and braking at high speed.

Quote taken from Here
Edited by: "ding" 6th Jul
So I don’t need XL? Thanks
You do NOT NEED XL rated tyres on that vehicle..but check ALL the other numbers correct eg 185/65x15 93V... where the "185/65x15" are merely size the "93" is load rating, and "V" speed rating, -but hey a quick google would answer that!!
Buy the best tyres you can afford, what were original fitment? continentals/michelins..AVOID linglongs,wanlis, or nasty Chinese brands, unless you like filing in accident forms..
Each tyre has approx the size of your palm in contact with the road, think of that at 60mph on a country road in the wet....should make you think!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions