Whats with ebay bidders?

Posted 28th Mar
I was looking for a ps4 pro on ebay and started watching a used console with 4 games that can be bought used for £20.. a brand new one from argos is going for £349.99, so i wait and the bids start, towards the end there is a bidding war with bids jumping up so at around the £280 mark i decide its not worth it for a used console,
however others keep bidding and it sells for £380 which by my maths is £10 more than they would have paid for a brand new console with full warranty and a few used games. wft?

I was also watching a ps4 with vr setup which can be bought brand new for £599.98 and it sold used for £580 without the camera needed ( which when bought separatly would be more than the brand new console)?
whats with people?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually lose out.
32 Comments
Many things are selling high at the moment, i had a mate ask me if i want to buy a ps4 slim silver this morning.
I went on ebay to see what they're selling at but there isnt any silver on there however the black used were bidding over £200 im sure thats a lot more than usual.
He offered it me for 120 so im wondering how much i could get for a limited edition silver console
People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually lose out.
deleted1279550
People get carried away or some sellers have been know to use others to push up the bids . ( It's strange that new from a retailer with warranty is sometimes cheaper than 2nd hand or used ) . Know your limits
Bidding fever. People get competitive bidding and want to outbid others, so the war begins and the rrp is forgotten.
It's always been like this, I don't get it either.
Scammers overbid to ensure they win, then the fun starts!
Gambling addiction = must win, must win.
Tragically that scenario is also often linked to sorry can't pay, sorry can't pay.
Bought an unpatched Switch. They sell well. Tempted to sell mine as not even bothered to play it. Had grand plans to play old PS1 / SNES game etc but after downloading the SNES games that come free with Nintendo Online I realised I have little long term interest. Theoretically I could download Switch games too but again I only really want to play Mario Kart.

They are going for silly money so perhaps I should cash in.
And more on thread... I am risk averse so always do a BIN. Yet I constantly see auctions on nearly finished items for more £££s than other Buy It Nows. It explains a lot about the real IQ of the average person unfortunately.
I think people have (perhaps dodgy people/ illegitimate money) stashed in PayPal accounts & so they buy things this way to avoid the system/ detection
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 28th Mar
you can now report items as price gouging if you want to stop this
Tell me about had a phone on for sale and went a little above what I expected it to go for and I messaged the buyer and he replied with ‘yeah mate you will get paid on the 26th’ even tho I stated buyer must pay within 24hours I let it slide 3 days go by it’s the 26 no contact no nothing on the 27th I opened a case wasn’t going to waste my time. I hate that idiots bid on something even tho they have no intention to pay
Mark_Hickman28/03/2020 14:56

Many things are selling high at the moment, i had a mate ask me if i want …Many things are selling high at the moment, i had a mate ask me if i want to buy a ps4 slim silver this morning.I went on ebay to see what they're selling at but there isnt any silver on there however the black used were bidding over £200 im sure thats a lot more than usual.He offered it me for 120 so im wondering how much i could get for a limited edition silver console

try your luck on ebay the idiots seem to be out in full force.
AndyRoyd28/03/2020 15:09

Gambling addiction = must win, must win.Tragically that scenario is also …Gambling addiction = must win, must win.Tragically that scenario is also often linked to sorry can't pay, sorry can't pay.

yes seems online "virtual" buying makes people lose touch with the value of money.
Sacredarts28/03/2020 14:57

People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually …People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually lose out.

ye i agree, maybe the process of making transactions yourself makes you maintain some sort of sense whereas the virtual buying makes them lose touch with reality.
People get carried away, or don't even know the item's true worth, or simply don't have a clue. about 20 years ago, I used to go to a weekly local(ish) auction and a lot of factory clearance sales, it was always annoying when the price for something I was interested in would go crazy.

One item I particularly remember the bidding going crazy on was a large, well used, tatty Flymo hover mower, that I'd looked at before the auction and noticed a chunk of the blade was missing and so had dismissed it. I had also wondered why it had foam pipe lagging over the handle. The auction house plugged it in to show it running before taking bids, at which point the reason for the pipe lagging became obvious, it shook and vibrated like mad, made a deafening row, and kept stuttering as the brushes arced, lighting the room like a camera flash.

Clearly the owner had been using it with the broken blade and had ruined the bearings, and likely the commutator too, but despite its knackered state, it went for well over 100 pounds, something like £168 I think.
Edited by: "melted" 28th Mar
Sacredarts28/03/2020 14:57

People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually …People get hyped up with bidding that they forget the maths and actually lose out.

Bid once (snipe) within the last few seconds if you can, and bid you max price (so avoiding a bidding war) using the auction time to CHECK-OUT the other bidders, as in...
Does it have a history of bidding with the seller in question
And/or
Does it have a history of bid retractions, and if you don't like what you see, well...walk away.

Ebay blocked us...
We were blocked from performing this simple check (in the UK) by eBay a few months ago, but the workaround is simple enough.

Say you are on the BID HISTORY page of an auction, having clicked on the bids made.
Where as we COULD have now "clicked" on the bidding ID of a bidder to be taken to that bidders Bid History ID page, that is now greyed-out (blocked) but get this...while still in the Bid History page, simply CHANGE the ADDRESS from ".co.uk " to ".com" and refresh the page, and bingo, you are now once again able to access any bidders Bid History ID page
I hope some of you find this little workaround handy.
it will be a none payment strike
Gazz5928/03/2020 16:26

Bid once (snipe) within the last few seconds if you can, and bid you max …Bid once (snipe) within the last few seconds if you can, and bid you max price (so avoiding a bidding war) using the auction time to CHECK-OUT the other bidders, as in... Does it have a history of bidding with the seller in questionAnd/orDoes it have a history of bid retractions, and if you don't like what you see, well...walk away.Ebay blocked us...We were blocked from performing this simple check (in the UK) by eBay a few months ago, but the workaround is simple enough.Say you are on the BID HISTORY page of an auction, having clicked on the bids made.Where as we COULD have now "clicked" on the bidding ID of a bidder to be taken to that bidders Bid History ID page, that is now greyed-out (blocked) but get this...while still in the Bid History page, simply CHANGE the ADDRESS from ".co.uk " to ".com" and refresh the page, and bingo, you are now once again able to access any bidders Bid History ID page I hope some of you find this little workaround handy.

nice re: change address
Just because people bid silly money doesn't mean they actually pay.

Many people get friends or relatives to drive up the price.
Westwoodo28/03/2020 17:06

Just because people bid silly money doesn't mean they actually pay.Many …Just because people bid silly money doesn't mean they actually pay.Many people get friends or relatives to drive up the price.

but whats the point in that if you want to sell you want to get money at the end of it and actually sell the item?. if people are bidding more than a new item would cost because the sellers friend or family are driving teh price up then they may as well go buy new from a reputable company.
Shill bidding is very common at the moment.
Azztec28/03/2020 17:39

but whats the point in that if you want to sell you want to get money at …but whats the point in that if you want to sell you want to get money at the end of it and actually sell the item?. if people are bidding more than a new item would cost because the sellers friend or family are driving teh price up then they may as well go buy new from a reputable company.

i wonder if some of this is simply money--laundering. Put in for a bid, claim that seller didnt honor the payment, and get a refund from PayPal => "clean money".

Or, as others have said, its an attempt to shill the prices.

I suspect, if people are over-paying, its not because they are stupid. They are doing something close to illegal or immoral - but it depends if the people are frequent buyers. (A newbie is likely to be mistaken).

There can be a case to over-purchase (eg time pressure - want it now; local pickup, replace stolen item/insurance payout etc)
I have stopped being surprised at gift cards going for more than the face value, especially the Amazon ones.
Azztec28/03/2020 17:01

nice re: change address

Yes, I said it was simple

Lets go one better...
A bidders encrypted ID IS made up from our actual user ID...

If YOU (as a user) bid, eBay take your ID and encrypt it, but the feedback score never changes, so think of it (the score) as the fingerprint of a scammer.

If your eBay ID is? Azztec, you will be seen by others (when you bid) as well...a***z or z***t, even t***c. In this way you could spot a scammer....if you can access the bidders BID HISTORY ID page, and you can also see if the bidder had a habit of BID RETRACTIONS.

The encrypted bidders ID remains the same for as long as it
A, bids in the auctions of the same seller, and
B, doesn't change its user ID (as it can every 30 days, as was seen on our feedback page) so if you suspect a bidder is a shill bidder?, suspect the seller is using a friend/family member or OTHER account (we can have multiple accounts) to bid-up its own auctions? knowing how an encryption works, and knowing the feedback score remains the same AND still being able to visit a bidders bid history ID page should help you spot it, despite eBay's best (to date) efforts in blocking our ability to do so.

but whats the point in that if you want to sell you want to get money at …but whats the point in that if you want to sell you want to get money at the end of it and actually sell the item?. if people are bidding more than a new item would cost because the sellers friend or family are driving teh price up then they may as well go buy new from a reputable company.

You haven't understood what i've put.
Westwoodo28/03/2020 18:47

You haven't understood what i've put.

maybe! i meant that if a family member bids things up then they wont buy teh item meaning it does not sell? and if someone is taken in by shill bidding and ends up bidding more than the new price they may as well of bought it new?,

Friends, relatives and/or the seller can and do bid on the sellers items. The seller (for example) can legitimately have multiple accounts, so multiple bidding ID's.

The idea is to keep pushing up the price, but obviously not get stuck with the item at actions end, so it's a question of timing and greed. Know when to stop bidding after you've pushed up the price, and don't get TOO greedy.

IF (as happens) you (as seller, friend or family member) look to be about to get stuck with the top bid, you can cancel the auction, but to do so at a certain (near auctions end) stage will require you to pay the final value fee of 10% SO expect that auction to be cancelled (after bid retractions) due to a scammers favourite errors in the listings, or perhaps the item was found to have a fault, or perhaps it was lost?, in any case expect bids to be "retracted" to reduce the price, so the final value fee.

I have proof of 3 sellers of the same Sony Laptops.
I could ID them all as bidders, bidding in each others auctions AND I could place 2 of them (as sellers) at the SAME address, and no doubt would have done the same fer seller Nr3 had not the courier facilitator SHIPLY.COM not changed its system, you see, eBay and shiply work hand in glove. Shiply (the site) is designed to import eBay item numbers in order to facilitate collection/delivery.
Justsuperman28/03/2020 15:35

Tell me about had a phone on for sale and went a little above what I …Tell me about had a phone on for sale and went a little above what I expected it to go for and I messaged the buyer and he replied with ‘yeah mate you will get paid on the 26th’ even tho I stated buyer must pay within 24hours I let it slide 3 days go by it’s the 26 no contact no nothing on the 27th I opened a case wasn’t going to waste my time. I hate that idiots bid on something even tho they have no intention to pay

You can open a case after 2 days but you have to give them 4 days to pay after that so they can still waste your time for a week as it cannot be closed until day 7.

ebay.co.uk/hel…137
Back in the days when you could make money on ebay, I used to sell a lot. I would regularly have an auction start at 99p, but also have the same items on buy it now, and there was loads of times the auction would sell for 50% or more higher than the BIN. Never made any sense to me.
julieallen29/03/2020 09:29

Back in the days when you could make money on ebay, I used to sell a lot. …Back in the days when you could make money on ebay, I used to sell a lot. I would regularly have an auction start at 99p, but also have the same items on buy it now, and there was loads of times the auction would sell for 50% or more higher than the BIN. Never made any sense to me.

Yes, that does sound crazy. I guess the buyers didn't bother to "look around", and simply got fixed on the auction item without looking fer an alternative. To this end, I find the site picclick.co.uk/ a great site, especially if you have a particular item in mind.
hillton28/03/2020 15:33

you can now report items as price gouging if you want to stop this

Its not price gouging if its the bidders themselves choosing the sale price by bidding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions