What's wrong with mobile phones prices?

Found 4th Oct 2017
not too long ago, a £500 would get you the best mobile phone.. now, even a nexus-successor aka pixel sets you back £899.

consumers need to boycott... otherwise prices will only continue to increase..

oh wait.. I think most of you here will happily pay £1200 for iPhone X..

I'll move along
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
EndlessWaves1 h, 13 m ago

Welcome to brexit.

Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad when we're no longer cucked by Brussels.
denchington35 m ago

Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad …Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad when we're no longer cucked by Brussels.

Some people will - sadly there's no chance of educating them
As for the thread - most people who will spend £500+ on a mobile only because it's a status symbol/fashionista and they are the reason these companies can try to rip off other potential buyers.

For example if everyone stopped buying Apple IPhones then Apple would reduce the price - they are manufactured in China at a disgusting low cost making extortionate profits for Apple but the fashionistas don't care about child labour/low pay/working conditions unless it affects them directly.
Edited by: "philphil61" 5th Oct 2017
meanwhile good android phones can be had for about 150 i.e,moto g4 or Vodafone smart v8

you have to laugh when you see the iphone users with their broken screens on the train though.
Stop moaning and buy a Xiaomi, I'm old enough to remember when a Mobile phone was a handset attached to a suitcase that you needed an 18th century strongman to carry around for you.

Phones have never been cheaper, I can go asda and get a phone that does calls and texts for a tenner, i can go on Amazon and get an entry level smartphone that does internet for £50 from Blu or someone.

No ones forcing you to walk into carphone warehouse and demand the most expensive phones in all humanity.
133 Comments
iphone x z3000 £1500 coming in the next few months stay tuned
Edited by: "kevlfc" 4th Oct 2017
Welcome to brexit.
Mine cost £69.99 . Quite enough money
EndlessWaves1 h, 13 m ago

Welcome to brexit.

Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad when we're no longer cucked by Brussels.
denchington35 m ago

Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad …Can't blame everything negative on our right to sovereignty, will be glad when we're no longer cucked by Brussels.

Some people will - sadly there's no chance of educating them
As for the thread - most people who will spend £500+ on a mobile only because it's a status symbol/fashionista and they are the reason these companies can try to rip off other potential buyers.

For example if everyone stopped buying Apple IPhones then Apple would reduce the price - they are manufactured in China at a disgusting low cost making extortionate profits for Apple but the fashionistas don't care about child labour/low pay/working conditions unless it affects them directly.
Edited by: "philphil61" 5th Oct 2017
philphil614 h, 58 m ago

Some people will - sadly there's no chance of educating them As …Some people will - sadly there's no chance of educating them As for the thread - most people who will spend £500+ on a mobile only because it's a status symbol/fashionista and they are the reason these companies can try to rip off other potential buyers.For example if everyone stopped buying Apple IPhones then Apple would reduce the price - they are manufactured in China at a disgusting low cost making extortionate profits for Apple but the fashionistas don't care about child labour/low pay/working conditions unless it affects them directly.

So do you think the cheaper phones are made in other countries in better conditions? At least Apple have better control over their supply chain, half the phones on the market I bet management don’t have a clue where it’s made.
meanwhile good android phones can be had for about 150 i.e,moto g4 or Vodafone smart v8

you have to laugh when you see the iphone users with their broken screens on the train though.
If phones were cheaper people (especially women) would find another expensive item to display as they walk around
My next phone will be a motorola. £150 max and that should last me 2-3 years. Im still using an S5 and no real need to swap just yet.
Stop moaning and buy a Xiaomi, I'm old enough to remember when a Mobile phone was a handset attached to a suitcase that you needed an 18th century strongman to carry around for you.

Phones have never been cheaper, I can go asda and get a phone that does calls and texts for a tenner, i can go on Amazon and get an entry level smartphone that does internet for £50 from Blu or someone.

No ones forcing you to walk into carphone warehouse and demand the most expensive phones in all humanity.
Predikuesi35 m ago

If phones were cheaper people (especially women) would find another …If phones were cheaper people (especially women) would find another expensive item to display as they walk around

Thats funny i see plenty of men walking around playing with phones, why do you see fit to try and make out its women wasting Money?

I've had comments about how lovely my phone is, but then most people seem to assume its an iPhone because its white at the front
It’s nothing to do with Brexit, these would have been same prices regardless, pound always matches the dollar in Apples case i.e $1000 phone is £1000 in UK before or after Brexit, and as far as I know the USA wasn’t in the EU before Brexit anyhow!
I’m more than happy to pay £999 for the cheapest X and I’ll happily skip my way to the Apple shop come the 27th to place my pre-order. Each to their own, some people just like Apple stuff regardless of where or how it’s manufactured – I like their phones, some like their Macs etc.

It is a lot for a phone I must admit, most I’ve paid to date and for the first time I’ll probably be buying it out of a contract, either outright or through Apple Finance. Even factoring in a sub £10 Sim only deal over 24 months and finance interest its still significantly cheaper than an EE contract.
Predikuesi51 m ago

If phones were cheaper people (especially women) would find another …If phones were cheaper people (especially women) would find another expensive item to display as they walk around

I don't know any women with iPhones. Only old men who can barely use a computer (mac) and think they are trendy.
MSK.30 m ago

I don't know any women with iPhones. Only old men who can barely use a …I don't know any women with iPhones. Only old men who can barely use a computer (mac) and think they are trendy.

Diamonds shine brighter, last longer and hold their value. Who needs an iPhone?
MSK.40 m ago

I don't know any women with iPhones. Only old men who can barely use a …I don't know any women with iPhones. Only old men who can barely use a computer (mac) and think they are trendy.

I didn’t mention iPhones
lumsdot29 m ago

have to say it mostly women that buy iphones, …have to say it mostly women that buy iphones, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/iphone/11335574/Women-more-likely-to-own-an-iPhone-than-men.html

Is a 1% difference that significant?
Predikuesi2 m ago

I didn’t mention iPhones

Oh, which massively expensive phone or phones were you thinking of?
Simple Economics - Supply & demand
so annoying when ppl spend a different amount on a phone than i do when i purchase a phone i expect all other ppl to have exactly the same or they must be (insert your insult of choice ) sheep/idiots/chavs/hipsters Etc
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 24 m ago

Stop moaning and buy a Xiaomi, I'm old enough to remember when a Mobile …Stop moaning and buy a Xiaomi, I'm old enough to remember when a Mobile phone was a handset attached to a suitcase that you needed an 18th century strongman to carry around for you.Phones have never been cheaper, I can go asda and get a phone that does calls and texts for a tenner, i can go on Amazon and get an entry level smartphone that does internet for £50 from Blu or someone.No ones forcing you to walk into carphone warehouse and demand the most expensive phones in all humanity.

This post is all anyone needs to read here.
I have a selection of phones in this household including iphones and galaxy s7, but the two Xiaomi Redmi phones perform equally well as the flagships at around a fifth of the price.
MSK.24 m ago

Is a 1% difference that significant?

World population is 7.5 billion.
So does this mean 75 million more women use iPhones than men. Not sure.
Maybe I should spend a grand on a phone and ask Siri
MSK.32 m ago

Oh, which massively expensive phone or phones were you thinking of?

Most of the top brands are far too expensive.
Flagship products are for flagship people, nothing wrong with flagship pricing at all. There are plenty of cheaper models under the flagship.

Apple Macs running Windows only or mainly, people pay more to do the same as commoditised Windows.
denchington8 h, 53 m ago

No-one's saying that. What EndlessWaves refers to is that the Pound has tanked in value since the referendum result was announced, and further uncertainty is likely to devalue it even further. This has a direct effect on the pricing of import goods, and has added around 20% to the price of things like the iPhone X.
i think it's more that manufacturers now try and hit every price point, you can pick up a decent phone at most price points these days, obviously with more features the higher the price.

there will always be those who buy the most expensive phone for the reasons already discussed.

as consumers, we've never been in a better position. there are flagship style phones at half the price of Apple/Samsung.
lumsdot1 h, 22 m ago

World population is 7.5 billion.So does this mean 75 million more women …World population is 7.5 billion.So does this mean 75 million more women use iPhones than men. Not sure.Maybe I should spend a grand on a phone and ask Siri

Maybe we should ask Alexa? She doesn't have a stake in Google or Apple.

I wonder if there will be an Amazon/Alexa/Fire phone?
MSK.2 h, 33 m ago

splender1 h, 15 m ago

Flagship products are for flagship people,

Flagship people???

Well I suppose it's quicker to type than 'image obsessed fashion victims'
deeky4 m ago

Do you have a Mackintosh deeky ?

32180583-8b4nq.jpg
Wongy11058 s ago

Do you have a Mackintosh deeky ?[Image]

Shurrup wongy, I'm just waiting here til she comes back
deeky12 m ago

Sorry deeky couldn't resist
Edited by: "Wongy110" 5th Oct 2017
spoo13 m ago

Flagship people??? Well I suppose it's quicker to type than 'image …Flagship people??? Well I suppose it's quicker to type than 'image obsessed fashion victims'

I like flagship phones because they're nice quality. I just don't buy the latest ones!
deeky8 m ago

You have an android phone now though, right?

32180685-3PWye.jpg
MSK.1 m ago

You have an android phone now though, right? [Image]

Yeah, I learned my lesson
deeky1 m ago

Yeah, I learned my lesson

I owned an ipod once and it was a joy to use
so if I had 157 million pounds yes I probably would have an iPhone
would still take something cheaper down the pub mind

right now no way happy enough with my £2 Harrier mini thanks
by the way I am right in concluding they impossible to unlock/root ?
Destard2 h, 1 m ago

This post is all anyone needs to read here.I have a selection of phones in …This post is all anyone needs to read here.I have a selection of phones in this household including iphones and galaxy s7, but the two Xiaomi Redmi phones perform equally well as the flagships at around a fifth of the price.

Plus there's never been a bigger second hand market, the calls have changed too, you can get pay as you go or locked into a contract, many of these phones are second hand "free" upgrades, o?d ones sold or given away. They all the same now days.

I must admit i look at peoples phones on the bus to see if i spot another Xiaomi and I can not tell i dont know a new iPhone from an old one or whatever.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Oct 2017
Google Chrome youtube and a camera get all in a 99 quid phone not sure what ya pay 1000 quid for and it lasts 1 or two years before they want a new one crazy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants