EXPIRED

Whats wrong with my barclaycard credit card?

Hi All

I have a barclaycard credit card and its acting strange. I only have a £500 limit on it, and it has a £50 ATM withdraw limit. Today its stopped allowing me to do the £50 withdraw and after trying to withdraw from 2 different ATMs it wouldnt even let me use it in a shop as contactless.

What gives?

16 Comments

Have you rang them?

Phone Barclaycard and ask, they will inform you

Original Poster

No not had chance to ring them yet. But they havent rang me to say weve noticed suspicious activity on your card or something I would expect if they thought my card was being used too often.

Any reason you guys could think they didnt allow the transactions? Theres nothing on my account when I log in to day the card has been stopped or anything.

Hmm, what to do...ask Barclaycard or strangers on the internet?

bbfb123

No not had chance to ring them yet. But they havent rang me to say weve … No not had chance to ring them yet. But they havent rang me to say weve noticed suspicious activity on your card or something I would expect if they thought my card was being used too often.Any reason you guys could think they didnt allow the transactions? Theres nothing on my account when I log in to day the card has been stopped or anything.

Phone them now intead of spending the time asking here. We will not have a definite answer
Edited by: "tregs" 13th Feb

Probably a security flag. People don't tend to withdraw money on credit cards because of the high fees, so if you've tried in multiple areas it could have triggered their security system.

Likely flagged as possibly fraudulent activity since cash advances can signal that your card is potentially compromised. You're aware that you'll likely incur fees and interest for cash?

You've "accidentally" picked up your mum's Barclaycard by mistake and you mum has reporting it lifted.

By the sounds of it this isn't the first time you've drawn money out on your credit card. If you're not aware of the fees, they're obscene, and it certainly used to be the case that cash withdrawals had the highest interest rate and were paid off *last* when it came to your balance. Not sure if much has changed. Not meaning to sound like a nag but it's probably seen by the bank as reckless spending, so they might have blocked withdrawals because it's the sort of activity that occurs with stolen credit cards - e.g. When people steal a relative's card (because they obviously don't know or care about the fees involved.

Seriously OP stop withdrawing cash on your card. As others have said it's very expensive to do and it's also a major factor in a companies lending to you that if you do it all the time like you suggest you may be doing.

The reason it's a big issue is that it looks like you've not got enough cash so using your card to tide you over till pay day. Infrequently is one thing, but regular looks like possible signs of debt issues on the horizon and Barclays can and do have a habit of cancelling cards of those sorts of customers with no clear cut explanation why other than "you don't meet our lending criteria any more". They also present a major barrier to credit limit increases because you automatically flag as a higher risk.

To finally add, yes you might have a totally legitimate reason to do this and have no issues with repaying. However, banks don't really look at individual customers, they look at statistics and statistics on cash withdrawals on credit cards make for grim reading.

Gimme your card number and cv2 code and I can tell you what's wrong

why would you withdraw cash from a credit card ? I think you need to get some help

cliosport65

why would you withdraw cash from a credit card ? I think you need to get … why would you withdraw cash from a credit card ? I think you need to get some help

When my friend was doing it a few years ago it was because he was in a financial mess. Even the banks themselves discourage it, so I'm not surprised if too many withdrawals can lead to your card getting blocked.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 14th Feb

so have u found out what was the issue intergiud know

bbfb123

No not had chance to ring them yet. But they havent rang me to say weve … No not had chance to ring them yet. But they havent rang me to say weve noticed suspicious activity on your card or something I would expect if they thought my card was being used too often.Any reason you guys could think they didnt allow the transactions? Theres nothing on my account when I log in to day the card has been stopped or anything.

What was the problem

Original Poster

no idea sorry I've not rang them yet. I'm guessing it's just once a month they allow a £50 withdraw
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. whats a worthy sony x3 compact replacement?11
    2. What dog food do your feed your dog2333
    3. harley benton guitars11
    4. £18 per month sim only deal 25gb with EE good or bad?33

See more discussions