Groups

whats wrong with my phone?

I have a bt line, we use a splitter on the connector on the wall so the router can be plugged in as well as the phone.

For months now the phone has been acting odd, it rings once then cuts off if anyone tries to call it from a mobile, if you ring from a home phone it still only rings once but will stay connected for as long as the caller keeps on the line, but no more rings.

we bought a new phone today but its doing exactly the same thing, the Internet works fine obviously as I'm typing this, thinking of buying a new splitter thing incase its that. Could the line be messed up even if the Internet is working fine?

17 Comments

Banned

you're phone has been tapped.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

you're phone has been tapped.

I blame the daily mail

The splitter thing, is it a filter or just a splitter? you need a filter on a line which is used for Broadband and Phone.

It's the CIA.

Original Poster

ZaphodBeeblebrox

The splitter thing, is it a filter or just a splitter? you need a filter … The splitter thing, is it a filter or just a splitter? you need a filter on a line which is used for Broadband and Phone.

probably both it was given to me by my brother along with the previous router, (gave me this router too) he fixes computers and things for a living, had it all for years but the phones only just started messing up

looks like this not sure if its exactly the same, could this be doing it?
    http://www.markdownelectricals.co.uk/images/DSL.jpg
    Edited by: "Error440" 13th Jan 2015

The filters can go wrong so worth replacing, I have also seen routers cause issues even with a filter in place. Have you tried plugging the phone in directly to the wall? If the fault still occurs then you need to ring your phone service supplier other wise if it works Ok then you probably need to replace the filter first then if that fails replace the router.
    Edited by: "ZaphodBeeblebrox" 13th Jan 2015

Original Poster

ZaphodBeeblebrox

The filters can go wrong so worth replacing, I have also seen routers … The filters can go wrong so worth replacing, I have also seen routers cause issues even with a filter in place. Have you tried plugging the phone in directly to the wall? If the fault still occurs then you need to ring your phone service supplier other wise if it works Ok then you probably need to replace the filter first then if that fails replace the router.

yeah I will have to try just having the phone in later

Change the filter and if it continues phone you phone company to test the line. They do charge if an engineer comes out and there isn't a fault on there end. Make sure there's nothing else plugged in, even an unused extension cable dragging down the line before calling them.

Original Poster

Nope, new phone, new cable straight into the wall socket and its still buggered. I think it must be a fault on the linè maybe at the exchange, I've just been told by someone that when they tried to phone this number last time they kept getting put through to a 999 service in the devon. oO

It's a short circuit on the line causing the ring trip. That can be either outside or in, get BT to check the line.

Argoj

It's a short circuit on the line causing the ring trip. That can be … It's a short circuit on the line causing the ring trip. That can be either outside or in, get BT to check the line.

Indeed, I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, it turned out to be an external cable that had part rotted through.

Openreach ( BT ) Engineer soon sorted it.

The first thing to do is to run the BT Fault check. Go here and enter your phone number...

bt.com/con…=21

It will do an automated line test. Depending on the results I would be tempted to speak to BT and explain these issues.

MI5 have you on the radar Lol

Original Poster

Tony68k

The first thing to do is to run the BT Fault check. Go here and enter … The first thing to do is to run the BT Fault check. Go here and enter your phone number...https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21It will do an automated line test. Depending on the results I would be tempted to speak to BT and explain these issues.

how long does it normally take because I did it hours ago and keep getting emails saying they are investigating further

Error440

how long does it normally take because I did it hours ago and keep … how long does it normally take because I did it hours ago and keep getting emails saying they are investigating further

If I do it on my line it's instant, so it sounds like they have detected an issue and are indeed investigating it. This obviously may now take days depending on what they find and how they need to fix it. Good progress though.

Original Poster

Tony68k

If I do it on my line it's instant, so it sounds like they have detected … If I do it on my line it's instant, so it sounds like they have detected an issue and are indeed investigating it. This obviously may now take days depending on what they find and how they need to fix it. Good progress though.

yep hopefully it gets resolved without them having to visit here

BT broadband fibre intent don't use this anymore, just the hub. If you do it causes problems
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media - what is a good price?615
      2. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?67
      3. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??56
      4. GAP Insurance Recommendations11

See more discussions