What's your biggest advertising hate?

Posted 2nd May
I'll start...car lease deals that have an attractive monthly repayment, only to find a MASSIVE up front cost!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Vorderman encouraging older people to equity-release their homes, which must be a good idea because she's good at maths and that.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 2nd May
It's perf with surf, good lord kill the ad team that came up with that blasted commercial.
40 Comments
All the current ads featuring lockdown related stuff .. I think I even saw Cadbury’s are at it now
Vorderman encouraging older people to equity-release their homes, which must be a good idea because she's good at maths and that.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 2nd May
That peleton add especially the older one!
Used to get loads of TV advertising telling you that certain Tv was unmissable.
Then there is the Sale stick saying all stock must go, but doesn't say where to. How frustrating.
I nominate adverts in general. They’re all atrocious.
Not officially an advert, a headline that's an advert for thexstory.

Any headline with the word "hilarious'.

Debatable at best.

Once saved for the rags, now regularly seen on the BBC main page. Well, pre C-19 anyway.
Up to £N/N% off...
They may as well say up to £1M/1000% off - £1/1% would be "up to" that!
Why does almost every bloke in current ads have beards!.... It will be women with beards next, you watch!
JumpMan198002/05/2020 10:03

All the current ads featuring lockdown related stuff .. I think I even saw …All the current ads featuring lockdown related stuff .. I think I even saw Cadbury’s are at it now

Totally agree. All a bit nauseous when the marketing people in these companies all jump on the same bandwagon just to try and sell stuff on the back of the current crises.
The way they show the same advert - but change something very slightly so you "notice" it more. It's an advertising ploy to get you to re-evaluate - and I hate it because IT WORKS!

They win! Grrr!

(P.S. - @whitehawk - Please get rid of the 'rogue' "T" in your thread title. It's triggering a twitch in my left eye! )
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 2nd May
Mine is, when your watching a video on social media or youtube and an advert pops up.
Phsycronix02/05/2020 11:07

The way they show the same advert - but change something very slightly so …The way they show the same advert - but change something very slightly so you "notice" it more. It's an advertising ploy to get you to re-evaluate - and I hate it because IT WORKS!They win! Grrr! (P.S. - @whitehawk - Please get rid of the 'rogue' "T" in your thread title. It's triggering a twitch in my left eye! )

Haha, fixed now I think
whitehawk02/05/2020 11:27

Haha, fixed now I think

How odd. Twitch in my right eye now...
I hate the ads that tell you how good a film is, usually wiht 'members of the public' telling you it's brilliant. If the film was that good they wouldn't have to spend thousands of pounds advertising it on TV.
Edited by: "cis_groupie" 2nd May
ALL the Philip Schofield ads!!
FREE!!
(Just pay this one off subscription fee or pay p&p or even minimum spend of at least £0.01p) Takes free meaning away (Not Zero Cost!!)
availablecar.com and the woman who can't walk in her heals
Deleted_02/05/2020 11:11

Mine is, when your watching a video on social media or youtube and an …Mine is, when your watching a video on social media or youtube and an advert pops up.

At the moment it seems to be the same Filmora advert and someone shouts just before you can skip the ad
Advertising something as unlimited but they put a limit on the unlimited part. Usually in the fine print.
cis_groupie02/05/2020 11:33

I hate the ads that tell you how good a film is, usually wiht 'members of …I hate the ads that tell you how good a film is, usually wiht 'members of the public' telling you it's brilliant. If the film was that good they wouldn't have to spend thousands of pounds advertising it on TV.

You can tell the rubbish films being advertised at the cinema by the length of the trailer, the longer the trailer the more rubbish the film.
Games that require you to install and launch a third party store program, even though it's unrelated to either the shop you bought it from or the game itself.
When the ads lately cover every combination of race, religion, disability and sexual orientation to sell us products like chips, bank accounts and soup. Too over done.
It's perf with surf, good lord kill the ad team that came up with that blasted commercial.
The current microsoft teams advert is up there with most annoying ever.
The one with the smelly washing machine... The engineer puts his hand in the muck and then sniffs it... gross 😝
Not an individual advert as such, but I once read that toothpaste adverts are deliberately poorly dubbed so you notice the actors mouth not being in sync with any speech and therefore you notice their teeth.
Now I can’t stop noticing.. Get out of my head!!
‘gerrum up there girls’
or
‘every vip needs a vi-poo’

always when I’m eating
Deleted_02/05/2020 11:11

Mine is, when your watching a video on social media or youtube and an …Mine is, when your watching a video on social media or youtube and an advert pops up.

xda-developers.com/you…pk/

Install YouTube vanced, zero adverts..ever
Holiday adverts, Still spamming my inbox too lol
Mendoza02/05/2020 12:51

‘gerrum up there girls’or‘every vip needs a vi-poo’always when I’m eating

That first one I had to rewind to make sure I had heard it correctly...
terriclarkfan02/05/2020 10:08

Vorderman encouraging older people to equity-release their homes, which …Vorderman encouraging older people to equity-release their homes, which must be a good idea because she's good at maths and that.

I agree. She should be ashamed of herself.
Edited by: "markpj777" 2nd May
Gawjus02/05/2020 12:49

Not an individual advert as such, but I once read that toothpaste adverts …Not an individual advert as such, but I once read that toothpaste adverts are deliberately poorly dubbed so you notice the actors mouth not being in sync with any speech and therefore you notice their teeth.Now I can’t stop noticing.. Get out of my head!!

That marketing technique completely failed with me, I've always thought it's just a sign they're too tight to film a separate advert for the UK so have given us a badly dubbed US version instead.
Gawjus02/05/2020 12:49

Not an individual advert as such, but I once read that toothpaste adverts …Not an individual advert as such, but I once read that toothpaste adverts are deliberately poorly dubbed so you notice the actors mouth not being in sync with any speech and therefore you notice their teeth.Now I can’t stop noticing.. Get out of my head!!

Ah that makes sense. I could never understand why they did that but now I do. Thanks
Including something FREE as if they haven't already upped the price to include it.
Holiday advert prices for which they never seem to have availability. If they do, it'll be middle of the coldest month in a hotel in the middle of nowhere.
Sam22302/05/2020 14:50

Funds her surgeons

These equity release companies are running what is basically a financial scam to rob the elderly. The fees and interest they charge can be horrendous. It should be banned.
Edited by: "Stanmorepark" 2nd May
I rarely watch ads, but something that frustrates me is when paid services include ads. Prime Video for example, before you start a show they always advertise another show. Twitch is another example, even if you are subscribed you still have to view ads unless you are watching a partner who specifically opted to turn it off (or you have Twitch Turbo on top).

Netflix, Disney+, YouTube Premium, etc. all no ads
Adverts for terrible "unlocking" financial services that rip people off. Doubly so any that try to pretend that them saying the warnings, that they're legally mandated to say, are examples of how caring they are: "They were very good, they told me the risks and said how getting £10,000 in cash would only lower my pension by £5000 a year!"

Badly dubbed adverts. If you can't fork out to reshoot your advert, I'm you obviously don't care much about me as a customer. I hated this advert with a passion (and it was always on when you were eating):

youtube.com/wat…gyo

Lastly why do all formula adverts end with am oversaturated shot of you being stared at by a baby with creepily blue eyes that are practically glowing. I feel like they're about to try and mind control me like in Village of the Damned.
I just seen a nationwide advert that done my head in

it was like the girl said ‘take for granted’ 10 times in 1 minute
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions