Whatsapp - msgstore-.1.db - large backup files delete?

Found 23rd Mar
I have just copied across pictures from my phone to laptop as my phone is low in memory.

In the Whatsapp databases folder I've noticed several large files named 'msgstore-2018-03-21.1.db'

I don't recall automatically configuring Whatsapp to make backups, but if I delete them will they delete my current conversation or are these old backups? Very confusing
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
They are backups - I believe Whatsapp backs up databases by default at 2am (or so) every morning.

I don't think you can turn this feature off currently, and I don't think these files contain images. If you've backed up the images and videos, you can delete them from your whatspap folder using a file manager. I think if you delete images/videos from within whatsapp it also deletes the files - whichever is easier for you.

You can safely delete the ones that don't have today's date on it - but it will re-create them eventually.

There's an app that might help (haven't used it myself):
play.google.com/sto…ner
Edited by: "r2mahara" 23rd Mar
r2mahara1 h, 21 m ago

They are backups - I believe Whatsapp backs up databases by default at 2am …They are backups - I believe Whatsapp backs up databases by default at 2am (or so) every morning.I don't think you can turn this feature off currently, and I don't think these files contain images. If you've backed up the images and videos, you can delete them from your whatspap folder using a file manager. I think if you delete images/videos from within whatsapp it also deletes the files - whichever is easier for you.You can safely delete the ones that don't have today's date on it - but it will re-create them eventually.There's an app that might help (haven't used it myself):https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vAlmaraz.miniApp.WCleaner

Thanks so should we delete these everyday, as they're pretty large files, each one is 32mb or so.. I'm guessing they're cumulative?
Mine only go back for 9 days so maybe they delete the oldest as a new one is added
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions