whatsapp or telegram?

Found 19th Jan 2016
Just had the popup of lifetime whatsapp the 2 min later a popup that whatsapp expires march 2016!

Ive been using telegram for a while now and find it way more feature filled than whatsapp as a messaging app I.e. ability to send documents/files and also the secret chat feature which deletes a conversations at intervals tailored to suit.

Anyone else using telegram
Community Updates
Ask
24 Comments
Simples. Whichever has your friends. I agree. Telegram is good for file transfers. But nobody is using it...
Never even heard of it. Which would be a problem if no one else has either.
I don't even know what telegram is
I haven't heard of Telegram either, but it does sound handy from the app description. +1 for the cat image in the app info images, BTW.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/23rk9wk.jpg

I agree with Rulandas though. It is best to use whichever app your friends use (for the time being, at least).

Edited by: "RossD89" 19th Jan 2016
whatsapp released a statement saying they are scrapping the yearly fee of .69p as there was a glitch giving alot of people it free so they have decided use advertising on it instead to make money
I've tried telegram before, the file transfer is really slow compared to whatsapp (although this might've changed since I last used it months ago)
all my family use telegram have been doing for almost 2 years now. mainly friends on WhatsApp. Personally prefer telegram I find it more user friendly but they are very similar.
michaelgell

whatsapp released a statement saying they are scrapping the yearly fee of … whatsapp released a statement saying they are scrapping the yearly fee of .69p as there was a glitch giving alot of people it free so they have decided use advertising on it instead to make money

Had a whatsapp message this morning saying lifetime so no expiry
My partner had the same message
When in the Telegram app, how do you know who has it without clicking their names ? The likes of Whatsapp used to put a little note next to everyone who had it.......

Unsure why these apps are so popular to be honest, a lot of people have iPhones anyway which uses a free integrated service (imessage) & most people have unlimited free text as part of their packages anyway ?
deleted79467
ChrisUK

When in the Telegram app, how do you know who has it without clicking … When in the Telegram app, how do you know who has it without clicking their names ? The likes of Whatsapp used to put a little note next to everyone who had it.......Unsure why these apps are so popular to be honest, a lot of people have iPhones anyway which uses a free integrated service (imessage) & most people have unlimited free text as part of their packages anyway ?

free text no good if your communicating with ppl in other countries or abroad and using wifi
whatsapp is getting pretty much universal and is cross platform - i.e. iOS Android W8 BB ....

not everyone has iPhone - thankfully!

you can see which of your contacts has it - can you do that with Telegram?

maybe Whatsapp is going free because of eth likes of Telegram ...... however 69p / year is peanuts for no adverts and the service / backup provided

for alround versitility Whatsapp is still the app of chioce for me and many more

EliTom
mattmerch

free text no good if your communicating with ppl in other countries or … free text no good if your communicating with ppl in other countries or abroad and using wifi

I get that point, but for most people that's 4-5 weeks a year when you're not really wanting to speak with anyone at home
I've heard of Telegram but nobody I know is using it.
deleted79467
ChrisUK

I get that point, but for most people that's 4-5 weeks a year when you're … I get that point, but for most people that's 4-5 weeks a year when you're not really wanting to speak with anyone at home

having family in japan usa germany i find these apps very useful all year round

Edited by: "deleted79467" 20th Jan 2016
Never heard of Telegram. Neither has anyone else I have ever met
ChrisUK

When in the Telegram app, how do you know who has it without clicking … When in the Telegram app, how do you know who has it without clicking their names ? The likes of Whatsapp used to put a little note next to everyone who had it.......Unsure why these apps are so popular to be honest, a lot of people have iPhones anyway which uses a free integrated service (imessage) & most people have unlimited free text as part of their packages anyway ?

​in telegram all your contacts that have telegram are listed first then those without are listed and you can send them an invite.

I and most of my family do not have an iPhone and do not want one.

I can't text my family that live abroad with my unlimited text messages or send photos/videos without the use of these services. also text messages have a limit of characters and then you get charged for a multimedia message with such apps there's no hidden charges.
WhatsApp is free now.

bbc.co.uk/new…rts
Edited by: "WonkyDoctor" 20th Jan 2016
whatsapp is the best messaging app, but telegram has the ability to send a file of any size whereas whatsapp has limits. that's the biggest difference between them both. so I keep both but use whatsapp all day and telegram only for big files to send.
Rulandas

Simples. Whichever has your friends. I agree. Telegram is good for file … Simples. Whichever has your friends. I agree. Telegram is good for file transfers. But nobody is using it...

​agreed what ever your friends use
Most my contacts use viber and i use it to message and call friends abroad
Tbh i prefer viber over whatsapp
I had never heard of telegram either until today
EdWasHere

I've tried telegram before, the file transfer is really slow compared to … I've tried telegram before, the file transfer is really slow compared to whatsapp (although this might've changed since I last used it months ago)

​slow because it uploads file first to the server. Therefore can be downloaded any time by the other end or even you.
I wanted to use telegram because it had a desktop app (as does viber). it's so much more convenient for me to use these apps through the laptop. this was before whatsapp web (which is still very poor, but does the job just about).
the problem is network effect. a message service is only as good as the users, it could be full of features and a joy to use but if only 3% of your mates have it, it's useless.
apparently telegram is secure (not an issue for me as my correspondence is bog-standard and mundane), and it is popular in asia
whatsapp is the only one that is universal for my social circle, so it's used heavily
deleted79467
Line is very popular in asia
Signal or telegram. WhatsApp is Facebook.

If friends don't have signal or telegram they have to text me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants