Groups

WhatsApp to share user data with Facebook for ad targeting — here’s how to opt out

How to opt out from WhatsApp data sharing with Facebook.

Partial opt-out

Opting out of the data-sharing entirely does not seem to be possible, but WhatsApp is offering a partial opt out — specifically for Facebook ad targeting and product-related purposes.

However it notes that data will still be shared “for other purposes such as improving infrastructure and delivery systems, understanding how our services or theirs are used, securing systems, and fighting spam, abuse, or infringement activities”.

So there is no way to totally opt out, short of short of stopping using WhatsApp.

A WhatsApp spokesperson declined to comment on why it is not offering users a complete opt out of data-sharing with Facebook, but in a statement the spokesperson said: “We understand people with WhatsApp accounts might want to opt out of sharing their account information to improve their Facebook experiences. They have an additional 30 days to opt out after accepting the new terms so they have time to consider their choices.”

How to opt out of sharing data for Facebook ad targeting

WhatsApp details two ways to opt out of sharing data for Facebook ad targeting on its blog here.

Firstly if you haven’t already agreed to the new T&Cs you can opt out before agreeing to the new terms by tapping to read the full terms of service and privacy policy — and scrolling to a control at the bottom of the document — where there’s a check-box option for sharing the data which you then untick before hitting agree…

WhatsApp T&CIf you’ve already accepted the new T&Cs without unchecking the box to share your information with Facebook WhatsApp is also offering a thirty-day window to make the same choice — via the settings page in the app.

To exercise your opt out in this scenario you need to go to Settings > Account > Share my account info in the app and uncheck the box/toggle the control displayed there. And do so within the thirty-day window. Presumably, after that, even this partial opt out will expire.

References
    techcrunch.com/201…ut/

independent.co.uk/lif…tml

16 Comments

Just had the new terms pop up on my app having opened it after reading this.

Cheers for the heads up OP

Original Poster

RossD89

Just had the new terms pop up on my app having opened it after reading … Just had the new terms pop up on my app having opened it after reading this. Cheers for the heads up OP

You are welcome

This is why these things are so ridiculous, and people get so irate over receiving so many cold calls and spam advertising. I think the government should pass legislation that says everybody is to be opted out by default, and can opt in if they so choose, instead of being automatically signed up to everything all the time.

Thanks for the heads up

Good post thanks.
    My what'sapp doesn't have such an option under account but I expect it'll update and then be there.

So do I have to create a facebook an whatsapp account to do this?

I don't see what the problem is if you have a Facebook account already, they'll already have all your data.

thanks. just opted out

Excellent tip.
    Here's where to turn it off, on the Android app:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39366187/WhatsAppSettings.png
    Edited by: "UncleMikeAgain" 30th Aug 2016

So how are they planning on doing this.. Your whatsapp is linked to mobile number and Facebook to email.. If you don't have your number in your facebook wheres the link going to be?

Allosunshine

I don't see what the problem is if you have a Facebook account already, … I don't see what the problem is if you have a Facebook account already, they'll already have all your data.

​I don't have a personal Facebook and I assume there's many people who don't!

UncleMikeAgain

Excellent tip.Here's where to turn it off, on the Android app:

does 'hi i'm divorced, are you single?' line work??????????
    could add ' do you like the smell of chloroform?' also ...
    Edited by: "brilly" 30th Aug 2016

brilly

does 'hi i'm divorced, are you single?' line work??????????

I posted this image (along with the fake WhatsApp messages) on Facebook, to see which of my friends would notice the subtle PhotoShop improvements !!

Edited by: "UncleMikeAgain" 30th Aug 2016

spot on - cheers

UncleMikeAgain

I posted this image (along with the fake WhatsApp messages) on Facebook, … I posted this image (along with the fake WhatsApp messages) on Facebook, to see which of my friends would notice the subtle PhotoShop improvements !!

phew!

thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      4. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44

See more discussions