WhatsApp will stop working on THESE phones soon – is yours on the list?

Found 20th JunEdited by:"amour3k"
WhatsApp will stop working on THESE phones soon – is yours on the list?.

thesun.co.uk/tec…ad/

Check EVERY Phone/Phone's you have out there?.

The clock is now 'ticking' ...

(Reminds me a bit of the sort of things that Apple have started doing of late also - leave you on your ear after x-mount of iOS updates too, etc?).

Either way, keep an eye on allllllll. :-)
Community Updates
Misc
13 Comments
WhatsApp will stop working on THESE phones soon – is yours on the list?.

thesun.co.uk/tec…ad/
deleted1315437
Talk about pushing people to buy new phones. Get them spend more money perhaps? Make those companies richer. Just saying.
deleted131543720th Jun

Talk about pushing people to buy new phones. Get them spend more money …Talk about pushing people to buy new phones. Get them spend more money perhaps? Make those companies richer. Just saying.

No different from many apps that won't run on older model phones. Unless the app developers are willing to spend money to continually configure apps for older systems, then sooner or later the apps will stop working. WhatsApp are not alone in this, and it's understandable
Gingerbread 2.3.7, come on people that is like the original HTC desire range and similar as in you can buy a better phone for 20 now.
deleted131543720th Jun

Talk about pushing people to buy new phones. Get them spend more money …Talk about pushing people to buy new phones. Get them spend more money perhaps? Make those companies richer. Just saying.

You're jumping to the conclusion that someone is trying to profit from this. The reality is, Whatsapp wont make any money when people ditch their old phone to buy a new phone that works with whatsapp. And as mentioned above, nearly all apps don't accommodate for extremely old versions of IOS/Android, unless the developers take time/effort and spend extra money trying to accommodate for presumably...a very small audience.

I have a really old S2 or S3 that I use a paygo number in when I sell used items on gumtree and so on. Luckily thats 4.4.2v. There really can't be that many people using 2.3.3 or older. Its over 8 years old!!
J4GG428 m ago

You're jumping to the conclusion that someone is trying to profit from …You're jumping to the conclusion that someone is trying to profit from this. The reality is, Whatsapp wont make any money when people ditch their old phone to buy a new phone that works with whatsapp. And as mentioned above, nearly all apps don't accommodate for extremely old versions of IOS/Android, unless the developers take time/effort and spend extra money trying to accommodate for presumably...a very small audience.I have a really old S2 or S3 that I use a paygo number in when I sell used items on gumtree and so on. Luckily thats 4.4.2v. There really can't be that many people using 2.3.3 or older. Its over 8 years old!!

I totally agree ...

But in fairness to the previous commenters comment is this.

Apple
Microsoft
Whats App

Are all major players in their respective fields ...

(So they're far from poor, a piece).

The only difference is, Microsoft has been supporting 'backward compatibility' for so many, so many, so many things, from time! - going back to DOS Day's a few Decades ago infact ...

(Something similar to which Whats App also formally also prided itself on?, at almost the 1 Decade of the same backward compatibility for 'older Devices', is not to be sniffed at? - in stark contrast to Apple's only 5 Year 'window' of the same also?).

So it can be done, IF they want it to be done? (if they really wanted too, etc?).

We're talking about the big boy's here? (of which Whats App is definitely one of them ... )

We're not talking about the small boy's here? (in any of my above list of 3).

Smaller Companies have other obvious (and not so obvious) 'issues', to constantly contend with, when supporting itself via third-party Platforms, etc?, eg. Angry Birds on Android, iOS, PlayStation format, etc etc etc, and eventually Big Screen/Movie format too (and it done all very well).

In comparison, what has a massive Company like Apple got to contend with in a similar vain, really? (when all it's actually doing is just supporting it's own products, with it's own products?.

(The parallels are not strictly the same I believe?).

But I do hear what you're saying though ... :-)

Ps.

I have an old S2 too (which has the same Android version to which you speak of above).

I also still have one of the old/original HTC Fire (not HTC Fire mini) Phone's knocking about somewhere? (which has an Android version which is ONLY 0.1 version away from still being supported ... )

The HTC Fire has something like Android 2.2.2 on it, and the minimum that Whats App on Android currently supports is Android 2.2.3, or something like that?.

Not that I've used them much again for anything in a while now, but saying that, you never really know what 'uses' it may prove itself to be? (like how you use your old S2, and S3 for, etc?).

Even when Whats App initially ceased to work on my old HTC Fire Phone, I was still using things like SKYPE, Viber, Tango, and the like on it (though I doubt them 'versions' of Apps will work again, if I ever went back to that Phone, lol).

If nowt else, normal phone calls, and normal text's will always work on such Phone's regardless?.

So nothing is ever really/truly lost I reckon?, lol. :-D
benrobertsno19 h, 12 m ago

Gingerbread 2.3.7, come on people that is like the original HTC desire …Gingerbread 2.3.7, come on people that is like the original HTC desire range and similar as in you can buy a better phone for 20 now.

Point taken.

But at the same time, it also depends on who the audience you're buying it for are really?.

Those old Android Phone's were the art of sophistication in.their Day. :-)

But by Today's standards, they are very very basic!.

Basic enough for say the older Generation, who haven't got too much time/need, and/or confidence to flaff about with too much Techie stuff's (perhaps?).

Hence why those simple/basic DORA Phones are making a ragggging Business in their 'Dumb Phones'! (in a 'Market' that's more than casually over-saturated with it's fair share of Smart Phones, etc ... )

But yeh, I hear what you're saying also.

Or the older Generation aside, there's a common 'theme' going on about these Day's, of where Parent's are prepared to over-lavish their little one's with excessively expensive Phones ...

If you have to give your 3-4 Year old a Smart Phone for them to make basic text's, and/or basic phone calls to you, etc etc, then the way I see it is this, what's wrong with your now defunct Smart Phone from the Day's of Lore?.

As long as it still works for it's main/basic 'features' (calls, and texts) , then I seriously don't see any problem there to be honest?.

And at only 3-4 Year's old, they'll (HOPEFULLY) be toooooooo young to have already developed for themselves some 'Phone envy', between themselves, and/or their Nursery friend's, or whatever? (or perhaps for that matter, even care either way?). :-)

That's how I see it anyway ... lol.
Edited by: "amour3k" 20th Jun
you can get basic phone cause for Very cheap price which can run lastest software, there a reason why he all not using xp no more,its no longer supporting or safe, but hey unlike computer , you can pick an up to date basic phone for less than thirty, and running old basic software, having old phone thats slow, do ya self a favour and upgrade and you find it more much pleasent,
deleted79467
will not work on any phone ....

in china
deleted7946720th Jun

will not work on any phone ....in china

Loooooooooooool.
Since Facebook bought WhatsApp they've been killing support for older app versions and platforms. Barely happened with the old owners.
jamie0151 h, 29 m ago

Since Facebook bought WhatsApp they've been killing support for older app …Since Facebook bought WhatsApp they've been killing support for older app versions and platforms. Barely happened with the old owners.

Amen to that!.

(From earlier/before), that too was pretty much my indirect sentiments exactly ...

It's a crying shame really?.
For those older/semi-defunct Phones out there, using them as a Sat Nav is also a viable 'option' too I guess?, lol.

hotukdeals.com/dis…007

As requested for, above ...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants