Wheel bearing noise. Skint. Cheapest way to fix?

Found 13th Aug 2011
Drivers side wheel bearing noise, ford focus, T redg, old.
My question is:
Would it be cheaper to take to a garage for bearing change... think it's a 2 hour job, or
Buy full disc drum thing with bearings and get mate to do it for £20. Apparently it's easier to change the whole thing than remove the worn bearing, but obviously cheaper to just buy the bearings than the whole thing. Any advice welcome.
Community Updates
10 Comments
Banned
Its easy, do it yourself
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

Its easy, do it yourself

Not what it says, as far as what I have read.
And I am not a karmamechanic
I'm assuming this is the front bearing ? if you have a mate that he knows what he's doing get him to strip it & take the hub off, take it to your local garage & get them to press it out & press the new one back in,bung them a few quid for the tea break fund because without a press you wont be able to do it. we normaly charge a tenner to do it.
It is easier for they diy mechanic to change the whole lot, but if your fitting second hand, then you have know way of knowing the second hand one you have spent ages fitting is any good !!!

Edited by: "richp" 13th Aug 2011
Original Poster
richp

if you have a mate that he knows what he's doing get him to strip it & … if you have a mate that he knows what he's doing get him to strip it & take the hub off, take it to your local garage & get them to press it out & press the new one back in,bung them a few quid for the tea break fund because without a press you wont be able to do it. we normaly charge a tenner to do it.YYYYYEEESSSS... that's what I call an answer, great idea.. thanksSo to clarify: take whole break drum off... take the bit so the garage can "knock" the bearing out, and friend can fix new one in? Is it easier to put in than take out?... I know nothing, pls explain in more detail, thanks

earplugs only £1.99 (_;)
Original Poster
FRANK

earplugs only £1.99 (_;)

It is surprisingly loud, esp between 40 and 60...
Cheapest way is to cruise the roads until you spot an elderly person driving....get in front of them and wait for the opportunity to slam on the brakes.

You get your car wrote off and a whiplash claim........quids in!

Disclaimer; I in no way encourage fraudulent behaviour.
do you have breakdown cover? i had mine looked at by the AA, he took me to local garage bought a new bearing £20 i think, then he used there local facilities to press the bearing out, he fitted the new one and job done.
Original Poster
transit

Cheapest way is to cruise the roads until you spot an elderly person … Cheapest way is to cruise the roads until you spot an elderly person driving....get in front of them and wait for the opportunity to slam on the brakes.You get your car wrote off and a whiplash claim........quids in!Disclaimer; I in no way encourage fraudulent behaviour.

Be back in a minute... worth a try

Edited by: "jonb2412" 14th Aug 2011
transit

Cheapest way is to cruise the roads until you spot an elderly person … Cheapest way is to cruise the roads until you spot an elderly person driving....get in front of them and wait for the opportunity to slam on the brakes.You get your car wrote off and a whiplash claim........quids in!Disclaimer; I in no way encourage fraudulent behaviour.

Why an elderly person??? there are loads of young chavs that would oblige.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions