Wheel locking nuts?

Posted 16th Oct
Is it worth removing them from the car? They seem to be a pain in the backside, and only seem to stop the owner from taking the wheels off.

Your thoughts?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
they are a security item to stop the wheels being stolen, if you want to risk it its up to you, would be daft though, take them off and find your car on bricks wouldnt be great.
Edited by: "eslick" 16th Oct
I was thinking this the other day.

All depends where you park your car. I've not seen a car on bricks for about 30 years, and that was in France.
whiteston16/10/2019 08:59

I was thinking this the other day.All depends where you park your car. …I was thinking this the other day.All depends where you park your car. I've not seen a car on bricks for about 30 years, and that was in France.

I don’t think I have ever seen stolen wheels. The elders say it was more of a thing in the 90s.
The reason you've not seen many wheels stolen these days is because......... They have locking wheel nuts fitted.
I don't understand why having them is a problem? The only problem I see is when the key isn't in the car or some numpty has used a impact gun to try & remove them & thus chewing the key or bolt/nut up.
Keep a note of the key number & the key in the glove box or boot & you'll never have a problem.
Edited by: "richp" 16th Oct
They are fine until the key or the locking nut wears down or breaks.
I ended up getting someone weld bolts to them to get them off. Just glad i didn't get a flat as there is no way in hell you can get them off without the correct key.

The hassle and pain to get the old ones off has put me off getting replacement locking nuts.
Quite easy to take them off anyway. You just hit a deep 19mm socket on, then they turn off as normal.

As it's hammered on it forces the turning round bit onto the actual nut inside, job done. Taken loads off that way by people loosing locking key.

It makes a bit of a racket hammering the socket on so I suppose you can hear if someone is doing it outside your house, if away from house that's another matter.
I would bother if I had an expensive car with desirable wheels
Why take the wheels when u can just take the car?
Waste of time in my opinion when for under £20 you (or anyone wishing to get their hands on your wheels) can buy a set of tools designed to remove locking wheel nuts without the correct key, even halfords sell them.
I haven’t had locking nut on my alloys for years due to the same hassles you talk about. A set of Expensive wheels on a BMW would set you back around £3k with tyres they are protected by locking nuts right. Wrong for £23 on eBay you can buy a full set of the removal keys. Same for Audi and vw.

but being honest the full car is a lot more likely to stolen than the wheels.
Edited by: "Wadda" 16th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants