Groups
    EXPIRED

WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE INTERNAL DOOR SIZES?

i have to replace the doors in my old house to make them wheelchair accessible. can anyone tell me the width these need to be to pass nhs occupational therapy requirements. i dont want to buy the door and then have it replaced. thanks

8 Comments

Banned

surely its down to what the width of the wheelchair is, not to do with nhs therapy requirements

Ask an NHS occupational therapist?

I don't think it's a case of changing the doors though, surely you have to widen the frames?

If you want to widen the doors you'll need to widen the frames, which is a slightly more complicated job, chances are you'd need to get a professional in to do it. As for the width, I'm not sure what NHS Occuptational Therapy requirements are. Best bet is to go to a library and get a copy of the current Building Regulations, they give details etc. of what is required for disabled access amongst other things (I'd guess NHS requirements would be within the Building Regs, but you'd need to check).

Original Poster

our OT off sick so that doesnt help and her assistant is a muppet, yes will have to get someone in to fit new frames and corridor door, but wanted idea of the measurements to find a door i liked first so know if need to save or if have enough for the job.

surfed the net but could only find measurement for disabled accessible toilets and commercial stuff. tried b and q but just got the any of our doors should do and didnt want to take the chance.

The Lifetime Homes website has useful info on this if you look under the "16 criteria"
    lifetimehomes.org.uk

Basically it says
    Doorway clear opening width (mm) ............Corridor/passageway width(mm) minimum
    750 or wider...............................................900 (when approach is head-on)
    750 or wider...............................................1200 (when approach is not head-on)
    775 or wider...............................................1050 (when approach is not head-on)
    900 or wider...............................................900 (when approach is not head-on)

The clear opening width of the front door should be a minimum 800mm.

There should be a 300mm nib to the side of the leading edge of doors at entrance level.

Hope this helps

Alternatively, you can download Part M of the Building Regs here for free
    planningportal.gov.uk/eng…tml

The relevant section is Section 7 which starts on page 68

Original Poster

[gr8 thanks now i got a better idea, appreciate u help

QUOTE=agnes;4885827]The Lifetime Homes website has useful info on this if you look under the "16 criteria"
    lifetimehomes.org.uk

Basically it says
    Doorway clear opening width (mm) ............Corridor/passageway width(mm) minimum
    750 or wider...............................................900 (when approach is head-on)
    750 or wider...............................................1200 (when approach is not head-on)
    775 or wider...............................................1050 (when approach is not head-on)
    900 or wider...............................................900 (when approach is not head-on)

The clear opening width of the front door should be a minimum 800mm.

There should be a 300mm nib to the side of the leading edge of doors at entrance level.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Where do I find doors for wheelchair accessibility to fit
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions