Wheelchair Recommendations

Posted 1st Mar
Hi, my father-in-law has finally conceded that he needs a wheelchair to get him self from the car into the shops, with me to push!

Can anyone recommend a light weight folding (for car boot) wheelchair?

I have looked on Eby and Amazon and the choice is endless, plus what size wheels? Whats is a 'transit' wheelchair?
Preferably £100 or less.
Any advice gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Get something with removable wheels
If you have a mobility centre near then go and have a look and a try out. As you say there are loads on the market.
nannafish01/03/2020 18:21

If you have a mobility centre near then go and have a look and a try out. …If you have a mobility centre near then go and have a look and a try out. As you say there are loads on the market.

This.
If you can, try your father-in-law in the wheelchair before you buy - as a general rule the easier & smaller a wheelchair folds the flimsier it is and the harder it is to push & steer.
Been through the same process. My sympathies. £100 is the problem. We ended up spending £500 on this and it is very good. amazon.co.uk/Lig…8-2

Its been abroad (a Lidl shopping bag means the wheels go in the plane once you reach the door). Smaller wheels which are removable.

As said above; go to every shop and let him try them. It took us most of a day and most were not comfortable to sit in for 30 mins.
A friend of mine got a good one on freecycle
Thanks for the helpful comments.
Tell your GP he needs one, they will arrange for an assessment for him FOC and get one provided for him..
I am inclined to get a big wheel version, rather than a transit smaller wheel, even though it will be me pushing 99% of the time. Is there any hidden dis-advantage (apart from the size of the collapsed chair) to big wheels?
dufflecoat_moon_turkey02/03/2020 09:48

Comment deleted

Yes, it is an issue. My car is a Mini, so both back seats down to get the frame in. His car is ok, but that means he drives, which is frankly a bit scary.
Big wheels smoother ride also occupant can self-propel much easier if able to do so, small wheels make the occupant look more disabled IMHO. Solid tyres give a much more rough ride but require less maintenance than conventional inflatable equivalent altough you can use a tyre sealent if you prefer traditional inflatable tyres..
You may want to investigate decent gel seat cushioning via a wheelchair forum or similar recommendations from those who use them, depending on how much mobility he has / anticipated decline in mobility & obviously account for the seasons, wheel chairs for the more immobile (paralysed) can be both sweat buckets & freezing cold if you cannot move / shift to modify temperature etc.
& of course, there is the ability / desire to move yourself ..so how would he get along with padded cycling gloves to move around some shops / out of the way of others?

(tempers may fray on both sides if he relies entirely upon you to move him even a few inches, when he is capable of manouvering of his own volition).

Also, please consider seeking advice on the motability scheme depending on your status, be it as a carer / regular driver, & his vehicular mobility needs, some folk get the allowance as the main driver of another person, ..thus you may need to do some scrupulous checking of the details / grey area's etc.

Ensure that the first place you look is not a "wheelchair warehouse" offering a seemingly great deal ..but only if you sign today!
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 2nd Mar
@Mr_Gus Thank you for that, I will investigate this as his needs are likely to increase over the coming year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants