Expired

Wheelie bin lock?

Found 16th Aug 2014
Does anyone know of a wheelie bin lock (to stop other people from using your wheelie bin) which doesn't require drilling?

I live in flats where each resident has their own wheelie bin - just a bog-standard wheelie bin. I got a new replacement bin a few months back and I keep it spotlessly clean - I give it a wipe every 2 weeks after emptying and also use a wheelie bin liner (I also give the outside a little skoosh of Mr Sheen too

Someone has taken to dumping their stinking bags of rubbish (really smelly...yuk) in my bin. Today I opened the bin to put a liner in, which should have been empty, and found another revolting bag and the bottom of the bin was crawling with goodness knows what - wriggly things bigger than maggots and absolutely horrible. I had to empty the bin and wash it out with boiling water and bleach which wasn't the best job for Saturday teatime!

I have seen bin locks which need drilling (not sure how to do that) and also saw one which clips on but it sticks up above the bin lid and my bin nest is only the same height as the bin so I can't have anything higher.

Any suggestions to keep this manky moron out my bin?

28 Comments

This does look super easy to do...

youtu.be/QBq…dM4

Original Poster

sickly sweet

This does look super easy to do...http://youtu.be/QBq_AnKVdM4

Thank you for that - it appears to require drilling and I a) don't have a drill and b) haven't a clue how to use one, but maybe I should get one and learn how to use it! I'll keep this in mind unless I see something else which fits the bill. Thanks again!

I'm thinking... A good length of chain going through one of the handles... Then down the bin on that side... Round the axle of the wheel that side... Then under the bin... Round the axle of the other wheel... Then up the side of the bin and through the other handle. Bring the ends together nice and tight and padlock them together. It won't stop the most determined of people but will be too much hassle (and noise) for them to bother with.

Ps the idea being of course that it stops the lid being lifted, and the chain going through the handles and round the axles means it can't just be slipped off.

ive an idea fill a big bin bag of lightweight rubbish and keep it in u bin so it looks full just scrunch up newpaper boxes ect

Every wheelie bin I've seen is only plastic, so wouldn't need a drill, just make holes with a screwdriver. The chain method mentioned above also sounds good though.

A simple sign might do the job. A wierd dog walker (never actually caught her, but just know it's her) who was letting her dog use the tree outside my house decided it was ok to use my bin to dispose of her dogs business - I had the same clean up job as you, with bin crawling with maggots and unbelievable stench. I typed up a sign (politely requesting they use their own bin for their dogs poo), put it in a plastic sleeve and stuck it to said tree. It seems to have worked with my scumbag, might work with yours too! I think once the culprit is aware you are onto them, they are less inclined to risk getting caught.

Stick one of these on the bin, it may just work.

ebay.co.uk/itm…199

Python

Every wheelie bin I've seen is only plastic, so wouldn't need a drill, … Every wheelie bin I've seen is only plastic, so wouldn't need a drill, just make holes with a screwdriver. The chain method mentioned above also sounds good though.

I'd love to see you push a screw driver through a wheelie bin! You really think it'd be easy?

Python

Every wheelie bin I've seen is only plastic, so wouldn't need a drill, … Every wheelie bin I've seen is only plastic, so wouldn't need a drill, just make holes with a screwdriver. The chain method mentioned above also sounds good though.

Ha, funniest thing I've read this week! Or did I mean Stupidest.......

Original Poster

northeastkev

I'm thinking... A good length of chain going through one of the … I'm thinking... A good length of chain going through one of the handles... Then down the bin on that side... Round the axle of the wheel that side... Then under the bin... Round the axle of the other wheel... Then up the side of the bin and through the other handle. Bring the ends together nice and tight and padlock them together. It won't stop the most determined of people but will be too much hassle (and noise) for them to bother with.

Something to bear in mind if all else fails. The only thing is I guess I would have to take it all off again before the bin men came, but it might just be worth it. Thanks!

Original Poster

feefee1970

ive an idea fill a big bin bag of lightweight rubbish and keep it in u … ive an idea fill a big bin bag of lightweight rubbish and keep it in u bin so it looks full just scrunch up newpaper boxes ect

Not a bad idea A friend suggested I hide in the bin and watch the reaction of the culprit as they lifted the lid...:p

Original Poster

Askrulous

A simple sign might do the job. A wierd dog walker (never actually caught … A simple sign might do the job. A wierd dog walker (never actually caught her, but just know it's her) who was letting her dog use the tree outside my house decided it was ok to use my bin to dispose of her dogs business - I had the same clean up job as you, with bin crawling with maggots and unbelievable stench. I typed up a sign (politely requesting they use their own bin for their dogs poo), put it in a plastic sleeve and stuck it to said tree. It seems to have worked with my scumbag, might work with yours too! I think once the culprit is aware you are onto them, they are less inclined to risk getting caught.

Yes, I was thinking about a sign....not sure it would be 100% polite though!

Find out who it is and go crazy on them. show them who is boss

Original Poster

thehottest

Find out who it is and go crazy on them. show them who is boss

It might just come to that....

Original Poster

ceres

Maybe you'll read it this time.

Did I miss it before? Thanks for this, brilliant idea and it fits the bill perfectly, except that it seems to stick up a bit above the bin - the bin housing we have only gives enough clearance for the top of the bin. When you pull the bin out or put it back you have to try to avoid catching the top of the bin as it is, so anything higher would catch/break/get stuck. It's brick built with slabs over the top which are concreted in place, so no room for manoevre there. The search continues......

Lou Scotland

Yes, I was thinking about a sign....not sure it would be 100% polite … Yes, I was thinking about a sign....not sure it would be 100% polite though!

Lol, if I ever caught them red handed(or should that be poo handed), polite is definitely one thing I wouldn't be! Good luck finding a solution!

andyb83

Ha, funniest thing I've read this week! Or did I mean Stupidest.......

think he may of meant if you heated the screwdriver up first over the stove?i do this to make holes in the bottom of my plant pots

Original Poster

UPDATE: I bought a BinPin lid lock from eBay but sadly it doesn't fit! Lovely seller, though, who has sorted out a refund for me so all is good. (Thank you to William). May still be worth other people trying though, as not all wheelie bins are the same. Now, to decide on plan B.... (_;)).

ebay.co.uk/itm…295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

That's not a Binloc.

Original Poster

ceres

That's not a Binloc.

You are quite right and I have now amended to show that it is a BinPin lid lock.

Get a child lock things, there are some that use a special magnet that parent carries in their pocket. Pretty sure they are stock ons.
Or get a cheap camera ,stick it in the bin and see who opens it.

Or get some practical joke device, the ones that blows up in their face on opening, like flour or blue paint.
Oh dear, the devil child in me has woken up haha

Try this, do no drilling
binloc.com/
Edited by: "AnnaMak" 20th Aug 2014

Original Poster

AnnaMak

Get a child lock things, there are some that use a special magnet that … Get a child lock things, there are some that use a special magnet that parent carries in their pocket. Pretty sure they are stock ons.Or get a cheap camera ,stick it in the bin and see who opens it.Or get some practical joke device, the ones that blows up in their face on opening, like flour or blue paint. Oh dear, the devil child in me has woken up haha :)Try this, do no drilling http://www.binloc.com/

I love your ideas! The Binloc you have linked to would have been great but I have very little clearance height-wise when putting the bin away and this seems to stick up above the lid. I shall think of something....I will not be defeated!

If there's no clearance at the top, do you have to pull the bin out of it's box to put stuff in?

Lou Scotland

UPDATE: I bought a BinPin lid lock from eBay but sadly it doesn't fit! … UPDATE: I bought a BinPin lid lock from eBay but sadly it doesn't fit! Lovely seller, though, who has sorted out a refund for me so all is good. (Thank you to William). May still be worth other people trying though, as not all wheelie bins are the same. Now, to decide on plan B.... (_;)). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161378885295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Plan B put super glue on the handle, only joking.

Original Poster

ceres

If there's no clearance at the top, do you have to pull the bin out of … If there's no clearance at the top, do you have to pull the bin out of it's box to put stuff in?

Yes, the bin housing is built with bricks and has a flat top so the bin has to be pulled right out to put bags in. There is a little bit of clearance at the top but not much, so when you tilt the bin to wheel it you have to be careful not to catch the top.

Original Poster

LLANDWROG

Plan B put super glue on the handle, only joking.

Or that sticky, anti-climb paint?
Post a comment
@
    Text