When are school likely to open again ?

Posted 31st Mar
just wondering what is everybody's thought on that...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
September I'd think.
cwj382031/03/2020 15:45

How long is a piece of string

Twice the size of half it’s length
44 Comments
I think I have heard enough of peoples Opionons for some years.

DAMN I JUST SHOWED MINE, Christ
Edited by: "Gumbon" 31st Mar
Start of june
Your guess is as good as the rest of us... only time will tell!

The earlier the better. Otherwise, I don't think I will last till the end of the lockdown
Edited by: "niffer1" 31st Mar
May 19th
September I'd think.
When are , "When are school likely to open again ?"

0% - three weeks
5% - three months
50% - September

The string is as long as above. If 100% is 1 m.
ChelseaRae31/03/2020 15:46

You young lady are in a playful mood this afternoon
Jan 2021
I really worry about people
August?
No-one knows for sure. That said June and September seem to be the likely candidates. Any later than June it doesn't make it worth while going back from an education stand point as there would be limited weeks before the summer holiday. During that time they would need to re-gauge where children are at and then try to educate from there. With that in mind, September being a new year would be a cleaner time to do this.

From a parenting and business point of view the sooner the better.
sparx198131/03/2020 16:27

No-one knows for sure. That said June and September seem to be the likely …No-one knows for sure. That said June and September seem to be the likely candidates. Any later than June it doesn't make it worth while going back from an education stand point as there would be limited weeks before the summer holiday. During that time they would need to re-gauge where children are at and then try to educate from there. With that in mind, September being a new year would be a cleaner time to do this.From a parenting and business point of view the sooner the better.

If it's later than June the school year will be extended and eat in to the 6 weeks if the 6 weeks exists at all this year.
University’s are closing until October ! I would expect schools to close until September
sparx198131/03/2020 16:27

No-one knows for sure. That said June and September seem to be the likely …No-one knows for sure. That said June and September seem to be the likely candidates. Any later than June it doesn't make it worth while going back from an education stand point as there would be limited weeks before the summer holiday. During that time they would need to re-gauge where children are at and then try to educate from there. With that in mind, September being a new year would be a cleaner time to do this.From a parenting and business point of view the sooner the better.

I’d think that June would be better than September so at least kids have the chance to return to normality and get help with skills/gaps in their knowledge before going straight back into normal schooling in September. If you think about current year 10s, that’s a lot of GCSE-level catching up to do if they’re meant to do their exams as normal next May. They’ll have been out of school from February until September and will be massively behind where their classes should be. They need to be given the chance to get their year 10 exam work done & dusted (& understood!) before the rush of year 11 exams prep. Unless of course the schools minister has a plan in place to adapt next years GCSE exams to reflect their lack of school time this year.
Westwoodo31/03/2020 16:33

If it's later than June the school year will be extended and eat in to the …If it's later than June the school year will be extended and eat in to the 6 weeks if the 6 weeks exists at all this year.

I would have thought the same but I also imagine you would have chaos in trying to do that. Imagine all the families, and teachers, that have holidays booked during those 6 weeks. This is assuming that we are able to travel then and that schools are open, you will have lots of families and teachers away.
A few weeks : unlikely
A few months : likely
A few years : unlikely

Hopefully this narrows it down. As for how many months precisely, that's anybody guess.

If I was to pin the tail on the donkey, I would hazard a guess at the donkeys butt being somewhere around the 6-18 months end of the scale.

There's always the chance of homeschooling becoming a real thing for more than one term. Equally, there's always a chance that schools restart too early, and then homeschooling becomes a thing for a 2nd instance.
Edited by: "Pualle" 31st Mar
I have resigned myself to thinking Scottish schools will commence in Aug again...anything sooner will be a bonus though for mine and the boys sanity(excited)
shelliebish31/03/2020 16:36

I’d think that June would be better than September so at least kids have t …I’d think that June would be better than September so at least kids have the chance to return to normality and get help with skills/gaps in their knowledge before going straight back into normal schooling in September. If you think about current year 10s, that’s a lot of GCSE-level catching up to do if they’re meant to do their exams as normal next May. They’ll have been out of school from February until September and will be massively behind where their classes should be. They need to be given the chance to get their year 10 exam work done & dusted (& understood!) before the rush of year 11 exams prep. Unless of course the schools minister has a plan in place to adapt next years GCSE exams to reflect their lack of school time this year.

I think every year will be impacted regardless. My eldest was devastated to miss out on her exams after all the work she has put in. She's starting to come to terms with it, but clearly exams have been the focus of her schooling for all these years, so it's strange to just finish and then be given a guesstimate grade.

Where you mention the academic year starting again in September. I had this conversation with my daughter before our schools closed, and I do wonder if the start of the academic year could be permanently affected. Let's say schools don't reopen until, let's say, November. Would we be happy having one year cut 2 months short, after the previous year cut short, or would we start with catch up term on reopening, followed by a new term and the new academic year in the new year?
Pualle31/03/2020 16:55

I think every year will be impacted regardless. My eldest was devastated …I think every year will be impacted regardless. My eldest was devastated to miss out on her exams after all the work she has put in. She's starting to come to terms with it, but clearly exams have been the focus of her schooling for all these years, so it's strange to just finish and then be given a guesstimate grade.Where you mention the academic year starting again in September. I had this conversation with my daughter before our schools closed, and I do wonder if the start of the academic year could be permanently affected. Let's say schools don't reopen until, let's say, November. Would we be happy having one year cut 2 months short, after the previous year cut short, or would we start with catch up term on reopening, followed by a new term and the new academic year in the new year?

I’m in the same boat with my son, it’s been a real rollercoaster of emotions... he started off on the Wednesday (when closure was first announced) being over the moon that he wouldn’t have to do his exams, but by the Friday he was in bits. He came home sobbing his eyes out because it hit him that this was the end, like running a 5 year marathon but there being no finish line at the end. Thankfully his college place is confirmed and he took his mock exams at the start of March, as well as his final cooking practical and his actual business studies exam, so on the bright side at least there’s a solid bank of real, genuine data to base the teacher predictions on.
I do worry about when and how we’ll all return to school. I went back into my classroom today and it felt so alien... it’s definitely a long, bumpy road ahead!
ChelseaRae31/03/2020 15:46

I thought it was half the size of twice its length.
sparx198131/03/2020 16:40

I would have thought the same but I also imagine you would have chaos in …I would have thought the same but I also imagine you would have chaos in trying to do that. Imagine all the families, and teachers, that have holidays booked during those 6 weeks. This is assuming that we are able to travel then and that schools are open, you will have lots of families and teachers away.

Even if people were able to travel then, education should come first but we all know it won't.
Ringfinger31/03/2020 17:06

I thought it was half the size of twice its length.

That's only if it's in Ireland, it's changed since Brexit
sparx198131/03/2020 16:40

I would have thought the same but I also imagine you would have chaos in …I would have thought the same but I also imagine you would have chaos in trying to do that. Imagine all the families, and teachers, that have holidays booked during those 6 weeks. This is assuming that we are able to travel then and that schools are open, you will have lots of families and teachers away.

Your absolutely not going to be able to travel abroad this summer! I would be surprised if we’re even allowed to next year!

50m. See below
40241026-EOtH7.jpg
ChelseaRae31/03/2020 15:42

Your guess is as good as the rest of us... only time will tell!

How long is time?
Soon hopefully, my kid’s rapidly turning into a surly idiot. But my money’s on September
teachers have been asked to predict exam grades for their students so I assume it will be September.
April 2021
I don’t have kids but are the online lessons being touted by the media available nationwide? Are they optional or as compulsory as could be expected. What’s happening for children who don’t have access to iPads/ laptops or even internet access ?
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 31st Mar
captainbeaky31/03/2020 22:10

I don’t have kids but are the online lessons being touted by the media a …I don’t have kids but are the online lessons being touted by the media available nationwide? Are they optional or as compulsory as could be expected. What’s happening for children who don’t have access to iPads/ laptops or even internet access ?

Are they optional or compulsory as could be expected?

The resources/expectancy and communication is different for every child/school/year.

Personally I have three children in three different key stages across two schools. Along with that I obviously have my own work to do from home.

Today I received an email (in my personal inbox) reminding me that child 1 has some home learning due and could I please make sure they submit it. Now it's only because I have a lot of respect for teachers as a whole that I didn't reply and tell them to stuff their learning where ...... well I will leave that up to your imagination.

I am concentrating on making sure they all do some Maths and English every day along with 15 minutes of reading. I am not and never could home school my children. I am a working parent trying my best to cope with a very difficult situation.

None of this is the schools or teachers fault but if people seriously think I can keep up with all the stuff that the schools are throwing at me then they are deluded.
40246198-mh9wp.jpg
ajfrenchie20024276331/03/2020 16:35

University’s are closing until October ! I would expect schools to close u …University’s are closing until October ! I would expect schools to close until September

Most university courses only have two terms of teaching ending at the end of March, there is no summer term.
For school where there is a summer term, I would predict either going back in June and a reduced summer break or just going back in September.
Who knows? Stupid question really...
They have only been closed 10 days !
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions