Groups

When can a child (16 years) legally leave home?

Is it when theyre 16,when theyre 18 or when they finish full time education?

8 Comments

I married and left home at 16, when I had days off school, I would write my own absence notes :-D

Original Poster

i left home at 16 too but im just wondering what the law is on it these days

lots of info ]here

i left home at 16, don't know if the law is different in England

If over 18 you can decide yourself when to leave home - your parents have no legal control over you. If homeless, the local authority may have a duty to house you. Contact them for the relevant information.
    If you are 16 or 17 you can still leave home if your parents give their consent or if you get married (again with your parents' consent)
    If you are 16 or 17 and leave home without consent you can be reported to the police as 'missing'. If you are safe, the police are generally reluctant to get involved, but may ask other agencies to play a part.
    If 16 or 17 and homeless, the social services department have a duty to provide you with accommodation if they feel you will suffer more without it. If you cannot return home and ask social services to help, they have an obligation to find you accommodation.
    If you leave home aged under 16, your parents are still legally responsible for you. You could stay with another adult if he or she can obtain a legal residence order, but that's only if there is a clear reason why you can't return home. This is a complex area of law and you will need to seek help from a housing advice centre.
    If under 16 you're still legally obliged to attend school, you cannot claim benefits or work full-time. Consequently, many young people in this situation end up sleeping on the streets and are very vulnerable.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4463516

If over 18 you can decide yourself when to leave home - your parents have … If over 18 you can decide yourself when to leave home - your parents have no legal control over you. If homeless, the local authority may have a duty to house you. Contact them for the relevant information. If you are 16 or 17 you can still leave home if your parents give their consent or if you get married (again with your parents' consent) If you are 16 or 17 and leave home without consent you can be reported to the police as 'missing'. If you are safe, the police are generally reluctant to get involved, but may ask other agencies to play a part. If 16 or 17 and homeless, the social services department have a duty to provide you with accommodation if they feel you will suffer more without it. If you cannot return home and ask social services to help, they have an obligation to find you accommodation. If you leave home aged under 16, your parents are still legally responsible for you. You could stay with another adult if he or she can obtain a legal residence order, but that's only if there is a clear reason why you can't return home. This is a complex area of law and you will need to seek help from a housing advice centre. If under 16 you're still legally obliged to attend school, you cannot claim benefits or work full-time. Consequently, many young people in this situation end up sleeping on the streets and are very vulnerable.

a big thanks for this rep left

I had a social worker and was made a ward of court until I was 18.

I think it's still generally frowned upon for a child to leave home so young.

Hope this helps!

Also, when my son ( who is now twenty ) was considering leaving home at 18, I gave him a run down of all the bills we pay each month... council tax, water rates, rent/mortgage, gas, electricity, cable, phone, car, food, clothing, travel expenses... he tried to be clever about it but financial sense prevailed and he's still home now lol

I left after school but still aged 15 as my birthday is the end of July - moved to a fruit farm in Kent - it was awesome!

Mockbeggar Farm, Higham, Kent

maps.google.co.uk/map…ddr

In 2000.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047106
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927359
      3. love affairs1344
      4. word association Game73944484

See more discussions