When did the Amazon Fire TV 4k Come out?

Found 8th Jul 2017
just got a 4k tv, and my android box I have is quite old now and not able to do 4k streaming very well, and looking at alternatives, Mi box has me worried with futureproofing of no ethernet and lack of ports, nvidia shield bit to pricey for me atm, and would prefer a android tv for the easier interface rather then android boxes as they cant even what full hd netflix or youtube which sucks,

so looking at amazon fire tv heard you can now sideload android tv apks so good option, when did the current one 4k at 80£ come out? only asking as if its like 8 months or so ill just wait till next one comes out
Community Updates
8 Comments
18 months or so ??.. there is a new version coming soon but it's kinda inbetween the current model and the fire stick.

aftvnews.com/exc…-7/
Came out around November 2016 (in UK), it is the 2nd gen Fire TV Box but 2nd gen box added 4K if that makes any sense.
For 4K certified boxs to run Netflix/Youtube/Amazon you need one running offical android TV os and not the cheaper ones running mobile android. So basically choice is as you have mention through adding in the Wetek range. (just like Amazon's offering run a skinned version of Android TV)
As an alt the windows based sticks and boxs will also run everything under the sun including NOWTV and SkyGo, although personally I don't like the interface. Have a shield myself which I admit was the best money I've ever spend.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 8th Jul 2017
December 2015 the 4K came out i still have the Amazon receipt.
SilverBlack

December 2015 the 4K came out i still have the Amazon receipt.

Helps if I count back from the correct year. Oppsies lol.
Wait for Prime day (Monday from 6PM), Fire products will get reduced.
cecilmcroberts

Came out around November 2016 (in UK), it is the 2nd gen Fire TV Box but … Came out around November 2016 (in UK), it is the 2nd gen Fire TV Box but 2nd gen box added 4K if that makes any sense. For 4K certified boxs to run Netflix/Youtube/Amazon you need one running offical android TV os and not the cheaper ones running mobile android. So basically choice is as you have mention through adding in the Wetek range. (just like Amazon's offering run a skinned version of Android TV) As an alt the windows based sticks and boxs will also run everything under the sun including NOWTV and SkyGo, although personally I don't like the interface. Have a shield myself which I admit was the best money I've ever spend.

Which Shield have you got? I've been looking at these myself.
ipswich78

There are pros and cons to both Shield generations. They both have the same processor so the performance is identical, however, if you are getting the 16Gb one then I would go for the 2015 model as it includes a micro-sd card slot, and micro-usb connectivity which are missing from the 16Gb 2017 model. The 2017 models do have a better gaming controller though (but these can be purchased individually).
ipswich78

1st gen 2015 model. Robertr has summed up the difference in generations already.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants