when did the franked mail enter the postal system?

18 replies
Found 3rd Jan
Is is possible to find out when a franked item entered the postal system. I suspect the franking label on an item I have received was printed but then then posted the following day, the franking label has a number on it I wondered if it was tracked in some way by royal mail? The date is extremely important

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

You can't. The date on a franked label is the date it was franked. The sorting office is supposed to refuse and return to sender if not sent by the end of the next working day it was franked, but in my experience this never happens.

your right grant, the only guarantee for posting date is trackable delivery

The barcode on the letter is the date it entered the system....hope this helps.

Original Poster

such a shame thanks for confirming, but surely if it was an important document which had to sent on a specific day if they wanted proof of postage they should have gone into a post office to get a proof of postage from there, franked already or not, yes it wouldn't be tracked but it would say what day/time an item was handed over and where it was headed.

Bottom line if important use a better postal service.. Its not even £1 is it to add recorded..

If the letter was sent the day after the item was franked, the sender is required to re-frank the item on the rear with the correct date at a zero balance to meet Royal Mail requirements.

Recorded Delivery, which is now called 'Signed For' is NOT tracked. It requires a signature, and the sticker the Post Office put on the parcel/letter will display the date it was posted.

There is no way to tell if the sender paid for standard postage online then took it to a post box or the Post Office the next day.

Original Poster

cabbagepatch

The barcode on the letter is the date it entered the system....hope this … The barcode on the letter is the date it entered the system....hope this helps.

there is no barcode I'm afraid just saying amount paid, where it was franked an a number ref as well, but royal mail say they cant track it through system

Original Poster

devices

If the letter was sent the day after the item was franked, the sender is … If the letter was sent the day after the item was franked, the sender is required to re-frank the item on the rear with the correct date at a zero balance to meet Royal Mail requirements.

I wish this was the case but people above say you can send franked till end of following day, other says royal mail doesnt even follow that rule??

Taken from Royal Mails website:-

'Mail must be postmarked with the date it is posted or collected on as part of the presentation requirements.'

So it has to be sent the day it's dated.

royalmail.com/bus…pdf

The send the following day, is for pre-paid labels not for franking.

Dawsy

Bottom line if important use a better postal service.. Its not even £1 is … Bottom line if important use a better postal service.. Its not even £1 is it to add recorded..

Really? It's £1.10 extra at my post office.

Original Poster

Huggett93

Taken from Royal Mails website:-'Mail must be postmarked with the date it … Taken from Royal Mails website:-'Mail must be postmarked with the date it is posted or collected on as part of the presentation requirements.'So it has to be sent the day it's dated.http://www.royalmail.com/business/system/files/Royal-Mail-How-to-prepare-Franked-mail-March-2015_0.pdfThe send the following day, is for pre-paid labels not for franking.

Thank I have read the same on royal mail faq about what they do 'on paper' whether this rule is followed by all of the royal mail is unclear though, and I read online of people having mail refused over counter when having old franking dates but I wonder what happens when posted in a franking mail box with an old date I suspect royal mail will just send it as apposed to returning to sender surley?

GrantG182

You can't. The date on a franked label is the date it was franked. The … You can't. The date on a franked label is the date it was franked. The sorting office is supposed to refuse and return to sender if not sent by the end of the next working day it was franked, but in my experience this never happens.

It depends if you have a real jobsworth at the local post office; I have had them refused the day after they were franked by the local witch.

If they are a Post Office stamp, that is the day they entered, if it is a company stamp, it is usually that day, or the day after; 99% of ours go the same day, only when a mistake has been made, or an issue with getting them printed do we hold one over till the next day (the self stamping PO system is up and down like a huwers knickers; so often, they now have a permanent "emergency" system up and running alongside the main system).

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

It depends if you have a real jobsworth at the local post office; I have … It depends if you have a real jobsworth at the local post office; I have had them refused the day after they were franked by the local witch.If they are a Post Office stamp, that is the day they entered, if it is a company stamp, it is usually that day, or the day after; 99% of ours go the same day, only when a mistake has been made, or an issue with getting them printed do we hold one over till the next day (the self stamping PO system is up and down like a huwers knickers; so often, they now have a permanent "emergency" system up and running alongside the main system).

So it very likely this company could have franked and item and then posted it in a box (not in person) and it has been sent with a day old franking stamp?

potatokid

So it very likely this company could have franked and item and then … So it very likely this company could have franked and item and then posted it in a box (not in person) and it has been sent with a day old franking stamp?

If it is printed onto a label as a "Q" code (PPI system), then they have to be taken directly to a post office counter, only the older system allowed you to put them in a post box, and AFAIK, PO has stopped that, as there was too much fraud going on.
Most business users will be using PPI, as it is about 30% cheaper than the old system was, and 40% cheaper than just sticking a stamp on it.

Of course, that doenst mean the PO counter wont forget to hand everything over when the van comes to collect it.

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

If it is printed onto a label as a "Q" code (PPI system), then they have … If it is printed onto a label as a "Q" code (PPI system), then they have to be taken directly to a post office counter, only the older system allowed you to put them in a post box, and AFAIK, PO has stopped that, as there was too much fraud going on.Most business users will be using PPI, as it is about 30% cheaper than the old system was, and 40% cheaper than just sticking a stamp on it.Of course, that doenst mean the PO counter wont forget to hand everything over when the van comes to collect it.

I dont know of the franking changes and types but it looks like this frank picture 2.bp.blogspot.com/-Fc…jpg

you have a price in the box with an number under and then a date in a circle and then the company/senders details, only difference is I have no vertical numbers as pictured.

Edited by: "potatokid" 4th Jan

potatokid

I dont know of the franking changes and types but it looks like this … I dont know of the franking changes and types but it looks like this frank picture http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FcEqpPDG1Uo/UT9WnhbV2xI/AAAAAAAAG9w/rfRzmtWYgJ4/s1600/Delby_on_franked010.jpg you have a price in the box with an number under and then a date in a circle and then the company/senders details, only difference is I have no vertical numbers as pictured.

OK, that is a different system, they pay PO for "X" amount of postal franks - that is (I think( what the numbers mean), and have their own high speed machine to print them directly onto parcels and packages.

In theory, they should also go into the PO system within 24 hours, but as above, I dont know how lenient the PO are about them going in late.

Everywhere I have used either this or the PPI system, it has been 99% same day.

Original Poster

Gentle_Giant

OK, that is a different system, they pay PO for "X" amount of postal … OK, that is a different system, they pay PO for "X" amount of postal franks - that is (I think( what the numbers mean), and have their own high speed machine to print them directly onto parcels and packages.In theory, they should also go into the PO system within 24 hours, but as above, I dont know how lenient the PO are about them going in late.Everywhere I have used either this or the PPI system, it has been 99% same day.

Thanks for confirming
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…910
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66
    3. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75865
    4. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88

See more discussions