Groups

When does SPAM occur?

I have submitted some pretty good deals yet not soon after they have gained some decent momentum they get taken off for being SPAM.

Whats the deal here? Can someone explain when SPAM occurs when posting a deal on this site?

Can someone simply report a deal as SPAM maliciously and it gets taken off or is it checked out properly before being removed?

Your response is greatly appreciated!

9 Comments

Was it a Playtrade deal? If so that was removed because of the very low feedback of the seller (3).......

Normally it takes 2 or 3 members to spam a deal and usually its done for good reasons eg the deal has already been posted.....

Don't let that put you off posting deals

Original Poster

gari189

Was it a Playtrade deal? If so that was removed because of the very low … Was it a Playtrade deal? If so that was removed because of the very low feedback of the seller (3).......Normally it takes 2 or 3 members to spam a deal and usually its done for good reasons eg the deal has already been posted.....Don't let that put you off posting deals

Yeah it was a playtrade deal and the trader did have 3 feedback (did you see my post - you sound almost psychic - LOL!).

I'm started to get tired of posting (what I think are good) deals cos the best ones are always there.. doh!

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Doesn't need checking, just takes a few members to vote.Normally it … Doesn't need checking, just takes a few members to vote.Normally it happens because you didn't bother reading the rules so posted an ebay deal, amazon market place, play trade, a banned seller or you didn't bother searchng and posted an existing deal.

I did read the rules when I first joined the site many years ago and 'brush-up' on the them now and then but is a member really expected to remember every single rule off by heart, whenever posting a deal? I beg to differ. However, it was a playtrade deal so I'm guessing thats why it was SPAM.

As for a few members voting then couldnt a group intentionally SPAM another users deals and then repost themselves later (e.g. a premeditated action)?

Edited by: "shuwaz" 2nd Feb 2011

need 2 people to spam if I remember correctly, unless they have changed that.

Yes people can intentionally spam but misuse of spam/expire can lead to infractions.

As people above have said you posted a playtrade deal so thats why it was spammed.

Original Poster

numptyj

need 2 people to spam if I remember correctly, unless they have changed … need 2 people to spam if I remember correctly, unless they have changed that.Yes people can intentionally spam but misuse of spam/expire can lead to infractions.As people above have said you posted a playtrade deal so thats why it was spammed.

Thats interesting cos I have come across people who setup multiple secondary membership accounts (on certain sites) in order to influence deals/listings/posts, etc.

There needs to be a better system in place!

shuwaz

Yeah it was a playtrade deal and the trader did have 3 feedback (did you … Yeah it was a playtrade deal and the trader did have 3 feedback (did you see my post - you sound almost psychic - LOL!).I'm started to get tired of posting (what I think are good) deals cos the best ones are always there.. doh!

I find the easiest way to check if a deal has already been posted is to try filtering by merchant and see what recent deals have been posted for that merchant.

If you do think a thread has been incorrectly spammed post in this thread in Feedback and the mods will investigate.
    hotukdeals.com/fee…675
    Edited by: "gari189" 2nd Feb 2011

shuwaz

Thats interesting cos I have come across people who setup multiple … Thats interesting cos I have come across people who setup multiple secondary membership accounts (on certain sites) in order to influence deals/listings/posts, etc.There needs to be a better system in place!

Then maybe the moderators of them certain site you refer to need to fix up and do their jobs properly.

Are you saying there should be a better system in place for those sites?! If you are why dont you take it up with their admins/mods

Original Poster

numptyj

Then maybe the moderators of them certain site you refer to need to fix … Then maybe the moderators of them certain site you refer to need to fix up and do their jobs properly.Are you saying there should be a better system in place for those sites?! If you are why dont you take it up with their admins/mods

Yes, all sites (including this one).

As for taking action, its more a case of intending on doing it, but neve getting round to it. I will have to make a start this weekend but its going to be a long process and I dont think I'll have enough time for it.

Original Poster

gari189

I find the easiest way to check if a deal has already been posted is to … I find the easiest way to check if a deal has already been posted is to try filtering by merchant and see what recent deals have been posted for that merchant.If you do think a thread has been incorrectly spammed post in this thread in Feedback and the mods will investigate.http://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/brand-new-where-did-my-thread-go-th/323675

Thanks for a very useful and helpful comment... your my kind of fellow-site member!

Edited by: "shuwaz" 3rd Feb 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3441248
      2. Best advert ever to be seen.2024
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…1632
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?1830

See more discussions