Groups

When i leave BT can i keep the email address?

I have called BT 4 times about this and get a different reply each time. Has anyone left BT and managed to keep the emails or redirect it?
    Cheers

14 Comments

yeah i left BT over 3 years ago and can still access my account

I always recommend that you set up and email address with a free provider such as gmail and get every to use that address in the future, so you never have this problem when swapping ISP.

Banned

Sc0ward;2628145

yeah i left BT over 3 years ago and can still access my account

Me too! But only receives e-mail, I can't send.

i left BT over 5 years ago and can still send and receive emails using that address. i downgraded the account to a PAYG and providing you dial in occasionally you're OK

Original Poster

Thanks guys spend hours looking lol

Should be ok as long as you connect via dial up every so often. Only problem is that you'll need someone to send the e-mail on your behalf, you'll need an smtp server I think, about £10 a year, or you can pay BT a similar amount for e-mail plus or whatever it's called.

Banned

Yes you can

Benjimoron;2628594

Only problem is that you'll need someone to send the e-mail on your … Only problem is that you'll need someone to send the e-mail on your behalf, you'll need an smtp server I think, about £10 a year, or you can pay BT a similar amount for e-mail plus or whatever it's called.

you can use another SMTP server or you can simply goto mail.yahoo.com and use the webmail system

Banned

Although I personally would set up my own domain at [url]www.1and1.co.uk[/url] for about £3 per year you can have as many email addresses in your own domain as you can shake a stick at, and the email address moves with you whenever you change broadband suppliers, leaving the supplied email address as a spam address :-D

wolf359;2628622

you can use another SMTP server or you can simply goto mail.yahoo.com and … you can use another SMTP server or you can simply goto mail.yahoo.com and use the webmail system

That's what I'm saying, I'm not aware of a free one though.

I forgot about th webmail side of things, it's not that convenient for most people though.

Easy way to get SMTP working, is not to use SMTP Rather set up the BT address on gmail as a verified mail alias (they send a email to the account with a code to check you have access to it). Then set up POP3 access on Gmail also to the BT account, which will let ypu access all your emails from the gmail web interface. Replies then can be sent using your original BT email address in the FROM field.
    Sound convultued but really is easy to do. I don't know if you have to log on using Dial Up occassionaly to keep it alive though. I don't with a old tiscali account, and it works great 6 years later!

I switched from BT broadband to O2. This was one of my concerns before swapping and a BT advisor told me email would continue indefinately providing I logged in at least once every 90 days.
    Can send BT using the O2 SMTP with no problem at all.

Original Poster

I just came back to say i found the info i wanted and if i had looked back earlier i would have seen Sigma had already posted it lol

Thanks everyone
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1936
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767295
      3. Beer experts help required!22
      4. word association Game73944500

See more discussions