Groups

When is it okay to laugh at death?

Banned
    To disassociate myself from threads that are dark, I'd like to start a thread about laughter, smiles and jokes.

So when is it okay to laugh at death? How long after the fact is it okay to make jokes?

There are jokes about the Holocaust, 9/11, celeb deaths etc.

Is there never a bad time, so long as you aren't mocking the family of the dead to their face?

72 Comments

It depends on how people have died

terrorist attacks - wars murders - no way

but say someone got squashed to death by orange squash it would be funny

Original Poster Banned

dandoc2;4708197

It depends on how people have died

300 kids mowed down by an out of control clown car?

Terrorists can be funny. The Animal Liberation Front are classed as terrorists. Imagine if they 'freed' 20 monkeys from a lab - and then the monkeys used their enhanced strength to eviscerate the terrorists.

FilthAndFurry;4708208

300 kids mowed down by an out of control clown car?

if i laughed immediately at that have i failed?

Original Poster Banned

dogvilledan;4708214

if i laughed immediately at that have i failed?

They're orphans. One armed orphans.

And the clowns are terrorists.

FilthAndFurry;4708218

They're orphans. One armed orphans.And the clowns are terrorists.

don't tell me, the orphans were lepers too...

why didnt they move out the way?

Original Poster Banned

Smeagol why didnt they move out the way?

Original Poster Banned

dogvilledan;4708227

don't tell me, the orphans were lepers too...

If they were lepers they could've lepered over the oncoming car.

and deaf? they would of herd the crys of the first orphans otherwise

Original Poster Banned

Smeagol and deaf? they would of herd the crys of the first orphans otherwise

Everyone has varying moral standards and values. The only way to determine an answer to your question would be to carry out a democratic vote or find an average.

ok, but there bodies being ravaged on the bumper of the car surely made a thump noise lol

And afterwards the driver thought he slammed on the brakes and put on the handbrake, but he accidentally put it in reverse and hit the accelerator.

Original Poster Banned

Smeagol ok, but there bodies being ravaged on the bumper of the car surely made a thump noise lol

Ungreat;4708271

And afterwards the driver thought he slammed on the brakes and put on the … And afterwards the driver thought he slammed on the brakes and put on the handbrake, but he accidentally put it in reverse and hit the accelerator.

the driver was also dyslexic so was unable to read the big 'SLOW' sign in his rear view mirror.

Blind and one armed with Ice cream smeared faces the survivors ran wailing into oncoming traffic.

The humanity!

lol, oops i just lol'd i guess it is funny then, I still want to know where the adult was that was supposed to be watching over them

Original Poster Banned

I'll come clean. 300 orphans weren't mown down by a clown car.

But when can you laugh at death?

I laughed when Lennon got shot.

Banned

i think there are many things in life we can laff at, but i dont laff at death

exactly 23.4years after someone has died.

Original Poster Banned

sassie;4708583

i think there are many things in life we can laff at, but i dont laff at … i think there are many things in life we can laff at, but i dont laff at death

Why? It happens to everyone. Even you and I. Would you rather people smile when they think of you, tell a little joke, or come over all morbid?

You have to see the humour in the whole life and death thing.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;4708620

Why? It happens to everyone. Even you and I. Would you rather people … Why? It happens to everyone. Even you and I. Would you rather people smile when they think of you, tell a little joke, or come over all morbid?You have to see the humour in the whole life and death thing.

i would love people to smile about me when they think of me, but not smile at how i died, or the devastation my death would have caused to my children, your asking about joking about death, not about a person that has died

Original Poster Banned

sassie;4708639

i would love people to smile about me when they think of me, but not … i would love people to smile about me when they think of me, but not smile at how i died, or the devastation my death would have caused to my children, your asking about joking about death, not about a person that has died

You don't know how you'll die. You might get killed in an irony laced death, or a freak pie-eating contest. That would be funny.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;4708661

You don't know how you'll die. You might get killed in an irony laced … You don't know how you'll die. You might get killed in an irony laced death, or a freak pie-eating contest. That would be funny.

however i die feel free to laugh, however whilst your laffing spare a thought for those left behind, so yes however someone dies i dont think there is a funny side to it, the consequences of death far out way a giggle for some

sassie;4708694

however i die feel free to laugh, however whilst your laffing spare a … however i die feel free to laugh, however whilst your laffing spare a thought for those left behind, so yes however someone dies i dont think there is a funny side to it, the consequences of death far out way a giggle for some

That is always the thing that chokes me at funerals.......Seeing those left behind. Nothing funny in that.

Original Poster Banned

tinkerbell28;4708719

That actually happened a year or so ago, someone died at a fairy cake … That actually happened a year or so ago, someone died at a fairy cake eating contest, they choked, I am sure their family could not stop laughing :roll:

Yes, but you can detach yourself from that surely?

dxx;4708575

I laughed when Lennon got shot.

Manic Street Preachers - Motown junk

monkey.nut;4709234

Manic Street Preachers - Motown junk

\m/

Banned

If I did laugh, would you say I have a wicked sense of humour?

Original Poster Banned

tinkerbell28;4709397

As in what respect? I did not cry buckets if that is what you mean, but I … As in what respect? I did not cry buckets if that is what you mean, but I remember reading it clearly. Obviously the family were devastated with loosing a man that meant a lot to them and at such a young age in freak circumstances.So did I empathise with them yes, did I find his death funny, no.But then I was not born with a swinging brick for a heart.............

I believe it was Eric Idle who said it best - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. You have to laugh at some of the tragedies in life. Death is a certainty, coping with it is down to the individual.

Doesn't mean you have a 'brick for a heart'. Maybe you can just rationalise the futility of taking the whole thing that seriously.

"I told you I was ill."

The inscription on Spike Milligan's gravestone.

Banned

When its in a cartoon..........squirrel from Ice Age comes to mind

I think it depends on the context how its meant etc.
    My sister was on her death bed at 29yrs We still joked.
    Told her she was selfish cos she was losing weight quicker than me.
    We had lots of jokes.
    But its how its said.

I want a karoke for my funeral and im having burn baby burn by dolly parton for me song.

Original Poster Banned

cherishu2;4709722

I think it depends on the context how its meant etc.My sister was on her … I think it depends on the context how its meant etc.My sister was on her death bed at 29yrs We still joked. Told her she was selfish cos she was losing weight quicker than me.We had lots of jokes.But its how its said.I want a karoke for my funeral and im having burn baby burn by dolly parton for me song.

That's cool. I think you have to just realise that life is a great big joke and to have a bit of fun where you can. We're a speck on a rock that exists because of a massive coincidence of physics. We aren't precious, or special.

We're just 65% water. At least add 1% fun.

Ungreat;4709636

"I told you I was ill." The inscription on Spike Milligan's gravestone.

That's what I want on my gravestone, something to bring a smile to your face.

depends on ur social group!!

Banned

cherishu2;4709722

I think it depends on the context how its meant etc.My sister was on her … I think it depends on the context how its meant etc.My sister was on her death bed at 29yrs We still joked. Told her she was selfish cos she was losing weight quicker than me.We had lots of jokes.But its how its said.I want a karoke for my funeral and im having burn baby burn by dolly parton for me song.

think you missed what the op wanted, your post is great and glad to see you could still joke about things, but im sure you never laughed at her death or laughed at the way she died, maybe you need to re-read the op it is about laffing at the death of, not laffing with someone whilst they are dyng
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?1921
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1626
      3. word association Game73944496
      4. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11

See more discussions