When reinforcing damaged stairs do you need to use fire retardant wood ?

6 replies
Found 14th Aug 2016
I know it's a daft question but are UK staircases wood fire retardant/treated or is it just normal wood ?

6 Comments

I would say no but check on you tube.

Banned

Replace like for like is your best opinion. You can never go wrong.

Hardwood is better for obvious reasons unless soaked in petrol.

Contrary to belief hardwood & brick are probably the safest materials in a house... Unlike furnishings & fittings & TVs, curtains etc etc
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 15th Aug 2016

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

Replace like for like is your best opinion. You can never go … Replace like for like is your best opinion. You can never go wrong.Hardwood is better for obvious reasons unless soaked in petrol. ;)Contrary to belief hardwood & brick are probably the safest materials in a house... Unlike furnishings & fittings & TVs, curtains etc etc

​I'm not replacing but putting supportive struts made from old fence posts underneath to strengthen it. It's just the 1st four steps which are at a 90 angle to the rest of the stairs. Just cheap builders doing a poor job.

Well if it is currently fire retardant wood then yes,use fire retardant wood. If its old and just pine then no . What's the point! I guess it won't be inspected so you can do what you want, but you need to be sensible about it. All the stairs I have repaired have been pine wood so just used mdf and pine to fix.

Original Poster

wayners

Well if it is currently fire retardant wood then yes,use fire retardant … Well if it is currently fire retardant wood then yes,use fire retardant wood. If its old and just pine then no . What's the point! I guess it won't be inspected so you can do what you want, but you need to be sensible about it. All the stairs I have repaired have been pine wood so just used mdf and pine to fix.

Yeah I think it's just pine as it's 20 years old but wasn't sure if they sprayed it with a fireproofing agent. I can remember hearing that stairs have to withstand fire for x amount of time but I've no idea if that applies to this case. There's no electrics or heating around this area so there's no reason that a fire would start there.

Banned

kester76

​I'm not replacing but putting supportive struts made from old fence p … ​I'm not replacing but putting supportive struts made from old fence posts underneath to strengthen it. It's just the 1st four steps which are at a 90 angle to the rest of the stairs. Just cheap builders doing a poor job.

You'll be fine mate. Dont worry.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769585
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!810
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810997
    4. Linkin Park and Friends Celebrate Life in Honor of Chester Bennington strea…44

See more discussions