Groups

When should I get my timing belt changed on my VW Jetta 2.0TDI Sport 2006

I have been advised by letter twice now from a VW dealer that the timing belt needs changing. It has just gone 4 years old the car with 41K on the clock any advise please that I should get it changed been quoted £320 by a main dealer including 2 years warranty. I use to have a VW Passat 1.8T Sport on a 51 plate and that had done 61K and I never had the timing belt changed

7 Comments

40k sounds about right for a timing belt. Perhaps its age not mileage that has reached it's limit.

Googled it and not found many answers, some say up to 100K, why not phone a dealer?

Banned

Diesel engines should have thier belts changed around the 100k mark or 7 years.

Your dealer is obviously desperate for customers.

Banned

As the chap above said, diesel ones last longer than petrol, so you are a bit early yet. Also, I would certainly get another quote from a local garage as main dealer prices are usually a bit high. I had a belt change done a few months ago at a small garage that came highly recommended and it was around £200

My mechanic advises changing timing belt every 60k or 6 years,whichever is sooner.Cannot remember exactly what mine cost but I know that it was considerably less than what you have been quoted,about the £150 mark I think I was charged,so when it is needed have a good look for different quotes.:thumbsup:

Autodata says 80,000 Miles or every 4 years.

BaldieMark;8438223

Autodata says 80,000 Miles or every 4 years.

+1

I would go with autodata.

wierdowoss;8437794

Diesel engines should have thier belts changed around the 100k mark or 7 … Diesel engines should have thier belts changed around the 100k mark or 7 years.Your dealer is obviously desperate for customers.

Wrong....
    DJ1;8437953

As the chap above said, diesel ones last longer than petrol, so you are a … As the chap above said, diesel ones last longer than petrol, so you are a bit early yet. Also,

Wrong.....
    muckypup;8438198

My mechanic advises changing timing belt every 60k or 6 years,whichever … My mechanic advises changing timing belt every 60k or 6 years,whichever is sooner.

Could be the case on another model of car, but not on a BKD 2.0TDI 140.

^^^ Simply the wrong information for this engine......Every engine has different intervals for certain changes.

The BKD (2.0TDI 140) engine should have the Cambelt changed at 60K miles OR 4 years, which every comes sooner.

The service handbook will state that the belt should be changed at 80k, but due to a lot of belt failures at 60k this was decreased.

Also, when changing the cambelt and tensiosirs, I also recoomend the water pump is done at the same time as these aonly tend to last around 80-100k miles, and if it goes, you will need to remove the cambelt again to do it... so double labour.. the water pumps cost £35 RRP.

If you speak to the dealer, tell them you would like the cambelt offer of £299.95 as promoted via otther UK VW Dealers. (google it) + labour & cost of water pump . (you may also have to may for some more G12 coolant.)

If you you to an indi garage, expect to pay around £280 - £300 all in.

PLEASE --- Listen to what im saying. rather than ^^^ suggesting 100k miles etc...

If you need any further help post here or drop a post onto :- [url]www.VWAudiForum.co.uk[/url]

Also - the 1.8T should also be changed @ 60k or 4 years..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's up with people creating accounts just to ask for UNiDAYS codes?33
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047150
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      4. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66

See more discussions