Expired

When to give notice on rented flat?

Found 6th Jun
Hello

As per the title, I'm on a 1 month periodic tenancy as my fixed term ended. My rental period starts on the 7th of each month.

When do I need to give notice? Does it have to be by the end of the 6th or can I give notice on the 7th and move out the 6th in the next month?

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
It can be simple but isn't always. Can't stress strongly enough that you should READ THE CONTRACT and look at Citizens Advice pages.

Theoretically, you owe the same notice period as your rent payment. Getting really pedantic, that can in some circumstances be due on the day you pay the rent and not at a time to suit you.

If you get on with your landlord, I suggest you talk it through with them. Most appreciate some warning. If you have a scumbag landlord, do your research and then decide. Your deposit is supposed to be safe but may be at risk.

It's easier to be out of pocket by a months rent than out on the street with nowhere to go.
ccnp15 m ago

It can be simple but isn't always. Can't stress strongly enough that you …It can be simple but isn't always. Can't stress strongly enough that you should READ THE CONTRACT and look at Citizens Advice pages. Theoretically, you owe the same notice period as your rent payment. Getting really pedantic, that can in some circumstances be due on the day you pay the rent and not at a time to suit you.If you get on with your landlord, I suggest you talk it through with them. Most appreciate some warning. If you have a scumbag landlord, do your research and then decide. Your deposit is supposed to be safe but may be at risk. It's easier to be out of pocket by a months rent than out on the street with nowhere to go.

Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer in that I am aware that my notice period is 1 month. My query is on what day I must give the 1 month.

Some sites suggest on or before the renewal (7th) whereas others say 1 clear month (so the 6th or earlier)
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 6th Jun
adamspencer9515 m ago

Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer in that I am aware that …Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer in that I am aware that my notice period is 1 month. My query is on what day I must give the 1 month.Some sites suggest on or before the renewal (7th) whereas others say 1 clear month (so the 6th or earlier)

The minimum one month's notice should be dated to end on the day of or day before the monthly renewal day. CA is quite clear:
The notice you give has to end on the first or last day of your tenancy period.
If your tenancy period runs from the 4th of each month to the 3rd of the next month this would mean:
  • the first day of your tenancy period would be the 4th of the month
  • the last day of your tenancy period would be the 3rd of the next month
So your notice would have to end on either the 3rd or 4th of the month.
citizensadvice.org.uk/hou…cy/
AndyRoyd36 m ago

The minimum one month's notice should be dated to end on the day of or day …The minimum one month's notice should be dated to end on the day of or day before the monthly renewal day. CA is quite clear:The notice you give has to end on the first or last day of your tenancy period.If your tenancy period runs from the 4th of each month to the 3rd of the next month this would mean:the first day of your tenancy period would be the 4th of the monththe last day of your tenancy period would be the 3rd of the next month So your notice would have to end on either the 3rd or 4th of the month.https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-privately/ending-your-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/

I have seen these links but doesn't make it any clearer.

Does that mean I can give notice on the day the tenancy renews? i.e. the 7th and then leave the following 7th? But this would mean the first day of the next rental period...
You have to give at least one months notice, so in your case I would give notice on the 6th and move out on the 6th. If you want to give exactly one month then give notice on the 7th and move out on the 6th.
As a landlord I would prefer as much notice as possible and advise the former so there are no arguments.
as above, notice must be given on 7th of the month (or earlier) for you to leave on the 6th of the following month. Some contracts allow you to move out on the 7th but before a certain time in the morning. our contract states before 11.00am
At least one month's notice. Why not give five weeks notice? That way, either way you are safe.
Edited by: "mrty" 6th Jun
A reasonable landlord would allow a "mid payment" cycle termination - so discuss with your landlord. As long as you give the one months notice a decent landlord (may of course exclude some of the HUKD property owners) would only charge you appropriately for any part month.
All good advice but permit me to labour the point; read the original agreement so you have all the facts before taking a decision. It should be vanilla but assuming that is potentially dangerous.

You can help your landlord by keeping the flat in good condition and giving them a key/permission to do viewings outside of your being there. The landlord should value that if you make the offer.

Is there any chance the landlord has another property that interests you is worth considering.
mrty4 h, 34 m ago

At least one month's notice. Why not give five weeks notice? That way, …At least one month's notice. Why not give five weeks notice? That way, either way you are safe.

This.

Unless your landlord is a scumbag and treated you badly then give notice on the 7th for leaving day the following 6th.

But if he/she's been good with you, give as much notice as you can, helps them organise the new tenant easier/quicker.
mrty6 h, 35 m ago

At least one month's notice. Why not give five weeks notice? That way, …At least one month's notice. Why not give five weeks notice? That way, either way you are safe.

I think the op is planning to give his notice today or tomorrow
thanks all for comments.

yes i was planning to give notice today or tomorrow. i ended up giving it today just to make sure it wouldnt roll over to another month.

the agent still insists it had to be the 6th and giving it tomorrow (7th) would mean not moving until August whereas a lot of people said the notice can be given on the 7th.

strange.
adamspencer9510 h, 6 m ago

Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer in that I am aware that …Thanks for responding. I should have been clearer in that I am aware that my notice period is 1 month. My query is on what day I must give the 1 month.Some sites suggest on or before the renewal (7th) whereas others say 1 clear month (so the 6th or earlier)

Isn’t 1 month the minimum. You could let them know your going in 1 month and 2 weeks on xxxxxx date.
cmdr_elito8 h, 40 m ago

Isn’t 1 month the minimum. You could let them know your going in 1 month a …Isn’t 1 month the minimum. You could let them know your going in 1 month and 2 weeks on xxxxxx date.

yes its the minimum but seeing as i am buying a house, i couldnt give notice until i know it was going ahead as otherwise i would be homeless
As you can decide at exchange of contracts the completion date, obviously try and tally the two dates up together and give notice to vacate on the exchange of contracts date or as soon as possible thereafter
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants