Groups

When you give a purse as a present and place a coin in it is it meant to be copper or silver or does it not matter?

As above, also is their any stupid other superstitions about what you do when you give someone a handbag?

16 Comments

There is a tradition of taking a piece of straw from the baby Jesus manger in the church and placing it in your purse.

I have never had a purse or handbag given to me with a coin in. Why would you want to put a coin in it? For good luck?

If so, i would put a shiny new penny as that is the epitome of luck.

Original Poster

mutley1

I have never had a purse or handbag given to me with a coin in. Why … I have never had a purse or handbag given to me with a coin in. Why would you want to put a coin in it? For good luck?If so, i would put a shiny new penny as that is the epitome of luck.

Pass, some superstition about if you give an empty purse it is bad luck and if you place a coin into it means it will never be empty. Doesn't say if it matters what type of coin though. Just before I wrap it up!
    Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 24th Dec 2016

It's supposed to be a silver coin for good luck, when giving a purse or wallet as a gift.

I think you are supposed to put a quality Street wrapper in it but it has to be a purple one.

Original Poster

matthews9479

I think you are supposed to put a quality Street wrapper in it but it has … I think you are supposed to put a quality Street wrapper in it but it has to be a purple one.

Aint you meant to eat those wrappers though!
    p_campbell

It's supposed to be a silver coin for good luck, when giving a purse or … It's supposed to be a silver coin for good luck, when giving a purse or wallet as a gift.

Thank you.

Original Poster

fearghalg

There is a tradition of taking a piece of straw from the baby Jesus … There is a tradition of taking a piece of straw from the baby Jesus manger in the church and placing it in your purse.

Thanks, although she is not religious so might ponder why a bit of straw.

matthews9479

I think you are supposed to put a quality Street wrapper in it but it has … I think you are supposed to put a quality Street wrapper in it but it has to be a purple one.

p_campbell

It's supposed to be a silver coin for good luck, when giving a purse or … It's supposed to be a silver coin for good luck, when giving a purse or wallet as a gift.

​yes definitely eat it but dip it in tile grout first

cecilmcroberts

Pass, some superstition about if you give an empty purse it is bad luck … Pass, some superstition about if you give an empty purse it is bad luck and if you place a coin into it means it will never be empty. Doesn't say if it matters what type of coin though. Just before I wrap it up!

I see. I have never heard of that one. I would prefer a shiny new penny if it had a coin in it. Personally, i would be very puzzled if it had any other coin in it as it wouldnt make sense to me at all.

Yea had a new wallet once given to me and had no coin in it, since I've been married I've never had money in it. superstition .....no reality.

happy Christmas all.

Damn you!!!

Only just finished wrapping my presents and forgot to do this.

Damn you to hell. (I'm not unwrapping it might just stick it to the outside)

I got my niece a silly savings bank images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/ima…jpg and just put what spare change I had in my purse Didn't realise the tradition was a silver coin

stick a £20 in it would make me happier than 1p

cecilmcroberts

Pass, some superstition about if you give an empty purse it is bad luck … Pass, some superstition about if you give an empty purse it is bad luck and if you place a coin into it means it will never be empty. Doesn't say if it matters what type of coin though. Just before I wrap it up!

​this explains it had this happen fote the purse was 2nd hand

Whenever I've been handed a purse and I had chance to stop running it was always full of cash, cards, make up, and other useless crap that's no good to me...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. plusnet mobile terrible34
      2. Virgin Media - what is a good price?26
      3. Recommend a free reminder app1314
      4. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??11

See more discussions