When you wished you had listened to HUKD advice but you didn't

Posted 22nd Aug
always been with AA breakdown. I know they are not the cheapest but way I see it when your car does break down, you want a decent service.
in 10 years AA arrived within 1 hour.
saw a cheap deal here with RAC, many people said they were awful.
RAC were cheaper so I left AA.
yesterday the side window dropped and not coming up.
it's a fairly flashy. car so not exactly ideal for it to be parked with the entire window open.
called RAC. given 90 mins waiting time. 3 hours later no RAC. just repeated Texts we are busy & be with you. soon.
Had to go to work on a night shift so parked it in the drive trying to park it so not too visible.
The wind kept blowing into the car triggering the alarm so. had to disable the alarm.
Cancelled the RAC assistance and went to work.
Roll on today, called 10 times and can't even get through.
I should have listened. 😩
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
First rule of HUKD club, always listen to HUKD club.

Second rule of HUKD club, always buy a glitch, because if you have to be in it, to win it
30 Comments
First rule of HUKD club, always listen to HUKD club.

Second rule of HUKD club, always buy a glitch, because if you have to be in it, to win it
Mines included with my Halifax ultimate reward bank account
£15 PM for AA , home emergency, mobile phone insurance and holiday insurance .

Look into that if cost is an issue
ashmac22/08/2020 15:50

Mines included with my Halifax ultimate reward bank account £15 PM for AA …Mines included with my Halifax ultimate reward bank account £15 PM for AA , home emergency, mobile phone insurance and holiday insurance .Look into that if cost is an issue

Is that account available for new accounts

Mines included with my Halifax ultimate reward bank account £15 PM for AA …Mines included with my Halifax ultimate reward bank account £15 PM for AA , home emergency, mobile phone insurance and holiday insurance .Look into that if cost is an issue

According to website £17 month
Would have been better to drive down to the nearest auto glass garage, I had a similar issue few years back and that worked the best.
if you have a flashy car. then should have an option not to have internal alarm when dogs or kids are in it

FlexPlus is better especially if you don't need the home emergency.

Reasons: £13 vs £17
Phone cover is for entire family that lives in the same household, max 4 claims per year vs Halifax only covers account owners phone? 2 claims per year - also lower excess.
Breakdown cover with nationwide covers the car even if it isn't yours or you driving it

And probably more

nationwide.co.uk/pro…its
halifax.co.uk/ban…tml
You should have tried your car insurance, if you have windscreen cover it may also include cover for other windows & they would have sent out a windscreen company.
I sympathise Op but you are the least of their problems and will be bottom of the list. You aren’t actually broken down, you are at home, it was daytime and going by your name, male. You ticked all the boxes for lowest priority call out.

A vehicle glazing company as previously mentioned might be a better option.
OMG - i'm in RAC for the personal cover, as I have 2 vehicles, but maybe next renewal I'll consider moving on.
AMaky22/08/2020 16:19

if you have a flashy car. then should have an option not to have internal …if you have a flashy car. then should have an option not to have internal alarm when dogs or kids are in it

Often long press or double press on the key remote to enable that.
Edited by: "mutav" 22nd Aug
Having a window permanently down is a real wind up
u66454122/08/2020 17:40

Having a window permanently down is a real wind up

or wind down
we had an issue with our car - alarm kept going off every few minutes. turns out, eventually, a moth was inside the car, and, after dark, was triggering the motion sensor.

and for motion sensor based cars, theres a switch (on the rear view mirror) to disable it, until the next time you start the car. (This was a quashqai, but assume other cars have a similar immobiizer).

(Annoying thing was even although it was shown in the car manual, the drawing - written by 3y olds (and apologies to 3yr olds - as they can draw so much better than some "fully qualified, I know much better than the reader, what <funny-squiggle> means).
They're all crap.

You can find a copy of your story repeated a million times over for any breakdown service. Even your beloved AA.
Would a breakdown service cover a window problem?
adamderak22/08/2020 15:51

...yesterday the side window dropped and not coming up. it's a fairly …...yesterday the side window dropped and not coming up. it's a fairly flashy. car so not exactly ideal for it to be parked with the entire window open. called RAC. given 90 mins waiting time. 3 hours later no RAC. just repeated Texts we are busy & be with you. soon. Had to go to work on a night shift so parked it in the drive trying to park it so not too visible. The wind kept blowing into the car triggering the alarm so. had to disable the alarm. Cancelled the RAC assistance and went to work. Roll on today, called 10 times and can't even get through.

Surprising that RAC would even consider attending to a non-breakdown, or maybe the RACs non-attendance is not surprising.
Just take the car to your local workshop or sort a mobile technician.
Had the same issue with my last car, called the RAC out who couldn't fix it or get the window back up. Needed to leave the car at my parents house so it was down the drive rather than on my street. It turned out that the electric window switch had broken and needed replacing.
AndyRoyd22/08/2020 21:42

Surprising that RAC would even consider attending to a non-breakdown, or …Surprising that RAC would even consider attending to a non-breakdown, or maybe the RACs non-attendance is not surprising. Just take the car to your local workshop or sort a mobile technician.

Although drivable, I can't really use it to go anywhere. Hardly safe to park it and leave it with window open. if stolen, potentially insurance could refuse to pay
adamderak22/08/2020 23:13

Although drivable, I can't really use it to go anywhere. Hardly safe to …Although drivable, I can't really use it to go anywhere. Hardly safe to park it and leave it with window open. if stolen, potentially insurance could refuse to pay

How would a window being down make it easy to steal? Doesn't your flashy car have a immobiliser?
I’m genuinely surprised a breakdown service would fix a broken window , I wouldn’t have even considered phoning them . My parents had a similar issue a year or so ago and just paid to get it fixed , would the breakdown companies even carry the parts needed to fix it ? I’m genuinely curious.
tinkerbellian23/08/2020 07:35

I’m genuinely surprised a breakdown service would fix a broken window , I w …I’m genuinely surprised a breakdown service would fix a broken window , I wouldn’t have even considered phoning them . My parents had a similar issue a year or so ago and just paid to get it fixed , would the breakdown companies even carry the parts needed to fix it ? I’m genuinely curious.

Not really. after a fix, just a temporary fix to get the window back up.
it's a common. problem on the Audi A5, window regulator breaks
jb6623/08/2020 07:25

How would a window being down make it easy to steal? Doesn't your flashy …How would a window being down make it easy to steal? Doesn't your flashy car have a immobiliser?

there are ways around immobilisers, depending on the. thieving ability. Also the factory fitted satnavs are targeted.
Just switched from RAC to AA. £19 for the year once you receive the £20 boots voucher :
theaa.com/bre…ail

Used both and no complaints with service. Just have an issue with the renewal price jumping every year. RAC increase was 50% last week even with Covid empty roads. They had no explanation besides knocking a few quid off. I explained I’m going for AA as £19 and said I’ll stay with you guys for £15 as a compromise . Just keep switching folks
Quick update, rang RAC today, here in 20 mins. removed door card and managed to pull window up.
So all good in the end.
I can't believe that VAG are STILL having issues wih windows dropping into doors!! My old Mk4 Golf had exactly the same issue and we're going back 20 years now and its due to the plastic clips they used. If it breaks they now replace them with metal ones. I believe at the time anyone with this issue in the US was covered under a specai guarantee for 7 years?
adamderak22/08/2020 23:13

Although drivable, I can't really use it to go anywhere. Hardly safe to …Although drivable, I can't really use it to go anywhere. Hardly safe to park it and leave it with window open. if stolen, potentially insurance could refuse to pay

Although drivable? The policy t&c you accepted includes the definition of breakdown, where no cover is contractually available for an instance of "it's drivable, but might get stolen if I choose not to arrange a non-breakdown solution myself".

Respect for successfully coercing RAC to take pity; less respect for apprently complaining that a service was not being provided when there is no agreement (nor payment made) to provide the service.

"...“breakdown”/“break down”/“broken–down” means an event during the policy period that stops the vehicle from being driven because of a mechanical or electrical failure, including as a result of battery failure or flat tyres but not as a result of mis–fuel, road traffic collision, fire, flood, theft, acts of vandalism, or any driver– induced fault;..."
rac.co.uk/pdf…pdf
AndyRoyd24/08/2020 13:45

Although drivable? The policy t&c you accepted includes the definition of …Although drivable? The policy t&c you accepted includes the definition of breakdown, where no cover is contractually available for an instance of "it's drivable, but might get stolen if I choose not to arrange a non-breakdown solution myself". Respect for successfully coercing RAC to take pity; less respect for apprently complaining that a service was not being provided when there is no agreement (nor payment made) to provide the service."...“breakdown”/“break down”/“broken–down” means an event during the policy period that stops the vehicle from being driven because of a mechanical or electrical failure, including as a result of battery failure or flat tyres but not as a result of mis–fuel, road traffic collision, fire, flood, theft, acts of vandalism, or any driver– induced fault;..."https://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/breakdown/310314-drive-uk-breakdown-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Respectfully disagree.
window dropping was a mechanical failure. As a result of this failure it prevented me from driving it. Therefore indirectly classed as a breakdown.
adamderak24/08/2020 14:26

Respectfully disagree. window dropping was a mechanical failure. As a …Respectfully disagree. window dropping was a mechanical failure. As a result of this failure it prevented me from driving it. Therefore indirectly classed as a breakdown.

Equally respectfully: you stated that the car was drivable;
you simply chose not to drive it to a workshop and / or chose not to employ an at-home solution.
Now irrelevant as the service has been obtained.
Post a comment
@
    Text