Where are eggs the cheapest?

Posted 22nd Apr
The cheapest I found so far are from Iceland, 2 pack for £1.60, each pack containing 10 Large Eggs, so 8p each.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Get mine off allotment.

fresh as they come £3 for tray of 30

40504442-Jo8pN.jpg
35 Comments
Morrison’s 15 Free Range £1.20 (Chippendale) Morrison’s have made Free Range only pledge.

Iceland cheap eggs are caged hens I believe and pictured online.
OP, you said, "The cheapest I found so far are from Iceland, 2 pack for £1.60, each pack containing 10 Large Eggs, so 8p each."
You have made a mistake if you read or knew that the packet said "free range".
Yep, Iceland are from caged birds.

However last week was the first time in four weeks that I managed to get eggs (actually from Iceland) as I had been unable to get any anywhere apart from a local Tesco Express who had one box of six spotted brown for £2.85 I think, thanks but no thanks.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 22nd Apr
OBH6UK22/04/2020 17:49

Yep, Iceland are from caged birds.However last week was the first time in …Yep, Iceland are from caged birds.However last week was the first time in four weeks that I managed to get eggs (actually from Iceland) as I had been unable to get any anywhere apart from a local Tesco Express who had one box of six spotted brown for £2.85 I think, thanks but no thanks.

ChuckTheDuck22/04/2020 17:41

Morrison’s 15 Free Range £1.20 (Chippendale) Morrison’s have made Free Rang …Morrison’s 15 Free Range £1.20 (Chippendale) Morrison’s have made Free Range only pledge. Iceland cheap eggs are caged hens I believe and pictured online.

I buy free ranged eggs from Iceland, they are in green cartons, always placed above the caged eggs.
splender22/04/2020 18:02

I buy free ranged eggs from Iceland, they are in green cartons, always …I buy free ranged eggs from Iceland, they are in green cartons, always placed above the caged eggs.

Are they frozen?
I was referring to the £1 for 10 or 2 packs for £1.60 the OP mentioned.

My local Iceland and sister Food Warehouse have had no free range eggs for weeks.
I pay for 6 large eggs £1.70 and know any hen in person. Don't care how much they are, it's all about quality.
Buckyball22/04/2020 18:24

I pay for 6 large eggs £1.70 and know any hen in person. Don't care how …I pay for 6 large eggs £1.70 and know any hen in person. Don't care how much they are, it's all about quality.

I don't think Iceland have a hen 'meet & greet' facility
Mate got robbed at Sainsbury. Couldn’t source eggs for 2 weeks. Got 6 fancy organic range from a special brand with chicken eggs the size of quail eggs for £2.36. They were the only ones there
Most farm shops sell eggs if you have one local.
From next door neighbours chicken coop
Get mine off allotment.

fresh as they come £3 for tray of 30

40504442-Jo8pN.jpg
When I was in America I noticed there eggs have white shells? Don't know why?
Im a tight git but one of the very few things I spend a bit more on is fresh farm eggs, the taste, the colour, the texture... Everything about them makes a massive difference
Ukguy10122/04/2020 20:57

When I was in America I noticed there eggs have white shells? Don't know …When I was in America I noticed there eggs have white shells? Don't know why?

Probably what they are fed changes the colour... But that's a guess

When I was in America I noticed there eggs have white shells? Don't know …When I was in America I noticed there eggs have white shells? Don't know why?

Different breeds of chicken
nopartylikeansclubparty22/04/2020 21:34

Probably what they are fed changes the colour... But that's a guess

Different breeds lay different colour eggs, ranging from white to dark brown but also including blues and greens. As a general rule the colour the eggs a chicken lays are the same (or similar) to the colour of there skin on their legs and ears.
At 8p an egg they can’t be free range. Please buy at least free range eggs rather than caged hen eggs.
£1-2.00 for six from most gates if you drive around the countryside if you go looking for them
deleted622739

My American friends who are currently residing over here tell me their eggs are all bleached white.
Dyslexic_Dog22/04/2020 22:59

Different breeds lay different colour eggs, ranging from white to dark …Different breeds lay different colour eggs, ranging from white to dark brown but also including blues and greens. As a general rule the colour the eggs a chicken lays are the same (or similar) to the colour of there skin on their legs and ears.

Chickens have ears?
Sainsbury's 15 free range eggs mixed sizes £2.35 but £3 a tray above even better value. But with buying restrictions might be tricky to buy in certain places atm.
deleted62273923/04/2020 00:54

My American friends who are currently residing over here tell me their …My American friends who are currently residing over here tell me their eggs are all bleached white.

Your American friends are wrong
Can they not ban chicken to be caged and then sell their eggs to the consumers?

My American friends who are currently residing over here tell me their …My American friends who are currently residing over here tell me their eggs are all bleached white.

Just like their chicken!

You wonder why they do it? Seems to be a bit pointless?
tom2kadd123/04/2020 04:39

Chickens have ears?

Yes, not quite like humans ears but they do have ears which basically look like a small hole (they're normally covered by feathers so you don't really notice them). You didn't think all chickens were deaf did you?
joyf453622/04/2020 18:04

Are they frozen?

Can you freeze eggs, how long do they last?
15 eggs for 99p at Farm Foods
Dyslexic_Dog23/04/2020 09:12

Yes, not quite like humans ears but they do have ears which basically look …Yes, not quite like humans ears but they do have ears which basically look like a small hole (they're normally covered by feathers so you don't really notice them). You didn't think all chickens were deaf did you?

No I just like imagining chickens with human ears!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions