Where best to sell my mx5?

Found 23rd May
Hi, so far I have put up my car on auto trader (which resulted in Jack xxxx), free ads (no one is looking), gum tree and Facebook and I have received 0 emails and 0 calls, basically 0 interest. So these days, where is best to sell my little car? My wife is pregnant and we have an imminent baby so I'm under pressure to get rid!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Put a sign up in the window of your local hairdressers. People always look there for mx5's.

The price is too high. Everything sells if the price is right.
29 Comments
Oh and also, is there any website that can tell me why I have had 0 interest also?
The price is too high. Everything sells if the price is right.
Put a sign up in the window of your local hairdressers. People always look there for mx5's.

no matter where you gonna put it mx5 is a very niche car. its like BMW Z3/Z4 they look nice but are just impractical (basically the reason you are selling is why people dont buy such cars). so you are looking at a teenager or someone with a middle life crisis that would like to buy it.
as stated above, change the price and perhaps post in a local newspaper
We Buy Any Car will take it off you.
Like Brooky said, you're obviously want more than people are willing to pay. If you put it on Ebay at a £1 starting price you will get somewhere near what it is worth but probably not the best price but it WILL sell.
Edited by: "qwales" 23rd May
Fair point on price and it being a niche car. So I bought it for 7.7k last year, trade price and webuyanycar is 5.3k, which I always thought was about 25% less than resale value, so I'm selling at 7k. Traders are selling for between 8.5 for similar milage, so not sure this is unreasonable?

But in general, no one seems to think the locations of sale are bad?
No link to the ad so can't give specifics but

No 1 reason is usually price as Brooky says. Have you tried being a buyer and doing a search for an MX5? That tells you what you are up against and you have to get real.

What value does Autotrader say? Be very careful. I had a car which they had the wrong listing for the number plate AT had registered was for a model £1,000 less and I had a hell of a job getting it sorted. Honestjohn showed the correct spec and therefore the correct value.

Get a value from webuyanycar.com and similar sites. Do we loathe those sites? YES. But they tell you where the bottom line truth is on price.

No 2 reason is a poor/inadequate description. You have to sell the car's unique good points - the extras, the low mileage. FDSH etc. If you cant say anything good/unique to make people want it then its a run of the mill banger and no-one is looking to pay extra for it.

Have you taken good quality pics so people can seethe car in detail? Inside and out. Take loads of pics, not just one of the car on the drive. Go to a park and get a backdrop of trees.
Its an MX5 - they want to know all about the top. Have you shown them how good condition it is?
Have you taken pics of alloys to show they are clean? (and blacked the tyres to look good)
Does it have a FDSH and have you said that? Any old garage for a service is no good for the MX5 enthusiast

Have you put a sign in the window and parked it in a good place of an evening to advertise it?

I've always had a lot more success with Gumtree than anything else but only if I have been honest with myself about the price the market values it at.

Read this honestjohn.co.uk/buy…ng/
and this honestjohn.co.uk/how…ar/

Did I mention price? Its usually price. Get someone else to work out the value.
Blofse2 m ago

Fair point on price and it being a niche car. So I bought it for 7.7k last …Fair point on price and it being a niche car. So I bought it for 7.7k last year, trade price and webuyanycar is 5.3k, which I always thought was about 25% less than resale value, so I'm selling at 7k. Traders are selling for between 8.5 for similar milage, so not sure this is unreasonable?But in general, no one seems to think the locations of sale are bad?

I assumed the 25% bit as well but the market is completely b*ggered at the moment. I sold 2 cars last year and got 5% & 10% better than webuyanycar. I was gutted but that's the info buyers use as well.
ccnp3 m ago

No link to the ad so can't give specifics butNo 1 reason is usually price …No link to the ad so can't give specifics butNo 1 reason is usually price as Brooky says. Have you tried being a buyer and doing a search for an MX5? That tells you what you are up against and you have to get real. What value does Autotrader say? Be very careful. I had a car which they had the wrong listing for the number plate AT had registered was for a model £1,000 less and I had a hell of a job getting it sorted. Honestjohn showed the correct spec and therefore the correct value.Get a value from www.webuyanycar.com and similar sites. Do we loathe those sites? YES. But they tell you where the bottom line truth is on price. No 2 reason is a poor/inadequate description. You have to sell the car's unique good points - the extras, the low mileage. FDSH etc. If you cant say anything good/unique to make people want it then its a run of the mill banger and no-one is looking to pay extra for it. Have you taken good quality pics so people can seethe car in detail? Inside and out. Take loads of pics, not just one of the car on the drive. Go to a park and get a backdrop of trees. Its an MX5 - they want to know all about the top. Have you shown them how good condition it is?Have you taken pics of alloys to show they are clean? (and blacked the tyres to look good)Does it have a FDSH and have you said that? Any old garage for a service is no good for the MX5 enthusiastHave you put a sign in the window and parked it in a good place of an evening to advertise it?I've always had a lot more success with Gumtree than anything else but only if I have been honest with myself about the price the market values it at.Read this https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/selling/and this https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-sell-your-car/Did I mention price? Its usually price. Get someone else to work out the value.

Am I allowed to link my ad here? Thought that might be against policy...
Blofse6 m ago

Am I allowed to link my ad here? Thought that might be against policy...

Good point. I dont think you are selling on here, just trying for advice which si what this board is all about. Do Autotrader have an add number is similar unique detail

If nothing else, give us the car model, colour, location, mileage and the price you have it on for and we can find it
I would have thought at this time of year a mx5 will sell in no time if it’s the right price. By the sounds o& it you have it priced too high. A lot of people are put off buying a car private as there’s no come back if anything is wrong with it. With a trader there is. Plus a trader can put finance in place where as a private sale relies on the buyer sorting it themselfs. I know it’s easy to sort finance but some people are lazy and take the fast option
Is it a UK model, or an import and what colour is it? These are two fairly common things that can put people off. If it it an import and an undesirable colour you could struggle to get a reasonable price for it.
SJHan56 m ago

We Buy Any Car will take it off you.

...and give him a bag of peanuts and charge half of it in fees!

Get rid of the wife and keep the car!
Dyslexic_Dog2 m ago

Is it a UK model, or an import and what colour is it? These are two fairly …Is it a UK model, or an import and what colour is it? These are two fairly common things that can put people off. If it it an import and an undesirable colour you could struggle to get a reasonable price for it.

Excellent point Dyslexic. If it isn't an import, say so (the V5 says if its an import or new at first registration).
ccnp9 m ago

Excellent point Dyslexic. If it isn't an import, say so (the V5 says if …Excellent point Dyslexic. If it isn't an import, say so (the V5 says if its an import or new at first registration).

UK model and it's dark blue, so not that bad there!
Blofse4 m ago

UK model and it's dark blue, so not that bad there!

Agreed. Worth stating in the ad (you should have had a msg)
ccnp53 m ago

Good point. I dont think you are selling on here, just trying for advice …Good point. I dont think you are selling on here, just trying for advice which si what this board is all about. Do Autotrader have an add number is similar unique detailIf nothing else, give us the car model, colour, location, mileage and the price you have it on for and we can find it

2009, 64k miles, dark blue, roadster hardtop, mx5 MK3.5, south Hampshire and currently at £7k, what do y'all think?
need a link really.

Have you tried the mx5 forums? If I was looking I'd be checking out the forums for info and ads.

Can't see it on AT? But I can see a lot of lower mileage, newer cars at lower prices...
Edited by: "mas99" 23rd May
Qick look through ads and it is over priced. £5750 is more realistic. Remember it's nearly 10 years old
Blofse1 h, 50 m ago

2009, 64k miles, dark blue, roadster hardtop, mx5 MK3.5, south Hampshire …2009, 64k miles, dark blue, roadster hardtop, mx5 MK3.5, south Hampshire and currently at £7k, what do y'all think?

Unfortunately for yourself, there appears to be quite a few advertised on autotrader from dealers with lower mileage and lower prices, and some of them are newer. Although i have'nt noticed any dark blue ones, maybe it's not a popular colour!
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 23rd May
Yeah looking on auto trader you have priced it too high. That’s why your not getting any interest. There’s loads on there cheaper than yours and only one dearer from a private seller. Personally I think you will be lucky to get £6k for it. What I would do though is sell the hard top separately. It’s worth £300-500.
Wadda9 m ago

Yeah looking on auto trader you have priced it too high. That’s why your n …Yeah looking on auto trader you have priced it too high. That’s why your not getting any interest. There’s loads on there cheaper than yours and only one dearer from a private seller. Personally I think you will be lucky to get £6k for it. What I would do though is sell the hard top separately. It’s worth £300-500.

It's a roadster, so it's a retractable roof :-) 6k seems low but God damn I paid too much in the first place!
mas991 h, 50 m ago

need a link really.Have you tried the mx5 forums? If I was looking I'd …need a link really.Have you tried the mx5 forums? If I was looking I'd be checking out the forums for info and ads.Can't see it on AT? But I can see a lot of lower mileage, newer cars at lower prices...

Yes but not the 2.0l sport tech. AT the advert expired :-(
Blofse55 m ago

It's a roadster, so it's a retractable roof :-) 6k seems low but God damn …It's a roadster, so it's a retractable roof :-) 6k seems low but God damn I paid too much in the first place!

Nope. You had fun and you loved it. An MX5 is still a car that drivers enjoy driving as opposed to looking like a **** in an X4.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 23rd May
Take the hint, your car is rubbish and or overpriced.
mattsk8 h, 43 m ago

no matter where you gonna put it mx5 is a very niche car. its like BMW …no matter where you gonna put it mx5 is a very niche car. its like BMW Z3/Z4 they look nice but are just impractical (basically the reason you are selling is why people dont buy such cars). so you are looking at a teenager or someone with a middle life crisis that would like to buy it.as stated above, change the price and perhaps post in a local newspaper

There are 120,000 MX-5s registered the UK. That's a lot.

For comparison the type specimen of the practical car, the Volvo V70, has 70,000 examples on the road despite being around for a similar length of time (1996 introduction instead of 1989).

And it's not particularly impractical, the boot is the same size as many a city car. Two seats mean it's never going to be a family's only car but even young families frequently have two cars as both parents work.

Granted it's not the most popular small two seater, there are almost three times as many Fiat 500s around, but calling it 'very niche' is unwarranted.
EndlessWaves3 h, 34 m ago

There are 120,000 MX-5s registered the UK. That's a lot.For comparison the …There are 120,000 MX-5s registered the UK. That's a lot.For comparison the type specimen of the practical car, the Volvo V70, has 70,000 examples on the road despite being around for a similar length of time (1996 introduction instead of 1989).And it's not particularly impractical, the boot is the same size as many a city car. Two seats mean it's never going to be a family's only car but even young families frequently have two cars as both parents work.Granted it's not the most popular small two seater, there are almost three times as many Fiat 500s around, but calling it 'very niche' is unwarranted.

Well UK is an ageing population
Deffo as suggested, MX5 forums. They will tell you exactly what the price should be and offer other advice. Had two roadsters and bought and sold them both on the forums.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants