Where can I bulk buy cheap tablets?

Found 1st Mar 2015
I'm a school teacher and would like to purchase some tablets for my classroom. The only requirements are that they have wifi, a browser and are able to play back videos off YouTube. I also want to get 20 as cheap as possible as I will be paying for them myself! I don't mind them being 2nd hand or reconditioned. Anyone know where I should start looking?
Community Updates
AskTablet
29 Comments
Check out China for real discounts!

But generally speaking you may be shocked at how little the discounts are on bulk purchases in the U.K and you might even find it cheaper to buy from the online UK stores especially when they have a special offer on .

If you buy 2nd hand , in particular for a class room , ensure they are all the same model , or you might be opening a can of worms , some units having different versions of Android , set up differently etc. IMHO keep it like school ! Uniformed ! all the same !
Dabs Outlet may be a good start. Bought several from there and they have all been immaculate. Original box may be damaged or it may come in replacement packaging but item perfect and often significant reductions with 6 months warranty.
Another thought , have you got a solution for keeping all those 20 tablets charged correctly in between classes , as youtube streaming might just burn the battery up at a fair old rate , i guess not a issue , if in your classroom , each student has a plug socket , then hey no probs!

Make sure the tablets you buy have long battery life , check out the charge time from zero to full.

But i do think 20 of the same tablet will be big help in the future , 5 of this one 6 of that one and sprinkle of other tablets , sounds like a can of worms to me !!

I'd go and have a nice chat with a manager at one of the big stores somewhere just to see what they can offer, no harm in asking
No disrespect intended but I think you should stick to teaching! By all means specify your requirements but leave the techy stuff and the procurement stuff to others who have this as their career choice. I would hate to think that you end up with something which your wifi network cannot cope with, or the tablets develop problems which necessitate reference back to the purchasing contract, or some auditor picks up on the fact that full value for money was not obtained in the purchase of this. I also hope as a teacher you dont have a budget which you are expected to manage. Oh! just checked - you said you were going to pay for them yourself - well my gasted has never been more flabbered.
You would be able to claim the vat back if they were bought through the school...
My friend was asking me a couple of months ago about trying to sell a batch (of 10) of Android tablets, I have briefly checked the spec and they were duo cores and running 4.1.1 (if I remember correctly), which will cater more than your requirements. The tablets were imported from Hong Kong, so should be relatively good price.
If you are interested, I can ask him for the details and if he still has them.

To ensure I am a genuine user and not some dodgy trader, you can check my AVForums.com user profile (also eden188).

Hope that helps.
EDEN188

My friend was asking me a couple of months ago about trying to sell a … My friend was asking me a couple of months ago about trying to sell a batch (of 10) of Android tablets, I have briefly checked the spec and they were duo cores and running 4.1.1 (if I remember correctly), which will cater more than your requirements. The tablets were imported from Hong Kong, so should be relatively good price. If you are interested, I can ask him for the details and if he still has them.To ensure I am a genuine user and not some dodgy trader, you can check my AVForums.com user profile (also eden188).Hope that helps.

Thanks. That would be great if you could find out.
rugbymike

You would be able to claim the vat back if they were bought through the … You would be able to claim the vat back if they were bought through the school...

So much red tape - not worth the hassle!
tardytortoise

No disrespect intended but I think you should stick to teaching! By all … No disrespect intended but I think you should stick to teaching! By all means specify your requirements but leave the techy stuff and the procurement stuff to others who have this as their career choice. I would hate to think that you end up with something which your wifi network cannot cope with, or the tablets develop problems which necessitate reference back to the purchasing contract, or some auditor picks up on the fact that full value for money was not obtained in the purchase of this. I also hope as a teacher you dont have a budget which you are expected to manage. Oh! just checked - you said you were going to pay for them yourself - well my gasted has never been more flabbered.

I'm confused by your perception of what we do as teachers! Firstly a healthy knowledge of technology and how to use it to enhance the learning of our students is pretty much a prerequisite these days. Secondly, just because something isn't my career choice, it doesn't mean that I don't have the skills and knowledge required to implement.. Lastly, I enjoy my job and want to do my best to help young people succeed. I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket occasionally to experiment with ways of further improving the learning experience for students.
Apogee00

I'd go and have a nice chat with a manager at one of the big stores … I'd go and have a nice chat with a manager at one of the big stores somewhere just to see what they can offer, no harm in asking

Good idea. Might do that..
Takeme2yourdeala

I'm confused by your perception of what we do as teachers! Firstly a … I'm confused by your perception of what we do as teachers! Firstly a healthy knowledge of technology and how to use it to enhance the learning of our students is pretty much a prerequisite these days. Secondly, just because something isn't my career choice, it doesn't mean that I don't have the skills and knowledge required to implement.. Lastly, I enjoy my job and want to do my best to help young people succeed. I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket occasionally to experiment with ways of further improving the learning experience for students.

Well said and inspirational for been a teacher who actually cares. Too many (teachers) I have seen that simply go to school and pick up their pay check at the end of the month. We could do with many more teachers like you who care about the future about the children (and the future of this country). Keep up the good work!
Edited by: "EDEN188" 1st Mar 2015
What age do you teach?

Why do you want 20?

Both of the above are serious questions. I work in an infant school. We have banks of different tablets. For a start the school should really be purchasing them. Secondly you should have an e-safety policy in place which prevents you using personal devices on the school network - you could get round this by donating them to the school. The school would need to add them to it's inventory etc. Have you checked insurance? We have to follow certain criteria for ours to be insured.

Also you have just missed out on the Flora tubs4tablets offer (they will probably do it again next year though). You had to save the foil from tubs of Flora and Stork purchased from Tesco. For every 50 foils you collected you got 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Tesco were selling flora at 2 tubs for £2. So for £50 you got a decent tablet and a few years supply of flora! Plus get the parents involved and you would have got some for free.

On my point of why do you want 20...

To give an example we have 20 ipads. It is handy having 20 but they are often booked out to different rooms, when they are busy we are allowed 6 per room max. Often their are activities that just require one in a classroom, we only ever plan for a group to use them at any one time whilst others are doing other activities. Realistically are groups have a max size of 8 - so sometimes if they are all booked out some have to share but if I was buying just for one classroom to use then I wouldn't buy more than 8 unless I really needed to. 8 gives a nice group amount and reduces the hassle of charging etc. I would also purchase a charging station, our ipads go into a proper 'safe' style cabinet which automatically charges when required.

Do you also have a plan for which apps you want to use? To you have a plan of how/who is going to purchase apps etc?

Hope this helps.
Why not get the kids to do a sponser swim/walk to put towards cost?
To cut costs you could get 1 tablet for 4 kids to share thus promoting how to work as a team.
You could be cheeky and ask a local IT supplier for a charitable donation, or maybe one of the big recyclers like Morgan Computers could do a deal?
dealextreme does cheap tablets, but maybe order one first to see if it's what you want before committing to buying 20
What ever u do do not get DHL to ship the tablets if u are going with China. They will charge u import tax.
Focal price do cheap tablets
Don't buy cheap China tablets. iv bought a mobile from amazon and they are a waste! 2 failed within 2 weeks so I don't want you to go through that .
Secondly why would you want to donate a possible £400 + on tablets when in fact the school should have them or laptops.
my teachers moan over £4 never mind paying for 20 tabs!

Ask your children to share them in groups of 2 or 3 so that will reduce your costs there .

I really feel sorry for you hun xxx
your school is one lucky sod to have you in their school .
already lots of teachers pay for some resources and bits for displays out of there own pocket which I think is the max.

last advice. do a bun sale or similar to raise funds for these tabs .
Thank God I'm just a ta
Looking at about £500 on aliexpress for 20, so about £25 each, but will be hit by import tax.

Probably not worth it tbh.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st Mar 2015
Thank you all for your advice. Might order one from Dealextreme and test it out as suggested above.

Have been taken aback a little by all the concern shown about me spending my own money. It isn't that my school is mean and is making me do it.. I see my job as a hobby and I am genuinely interested in how technology could improve learning for my students. I'm partly trying to make a point that schools don't have to invest thousands of pounds on iPads when much cheaper alternatives are available..
I thought that as well but be careful I bought one from China about 2 years ago not a good move a waste of money if truth be told made a better chopping board just don't get burnt all the best in your search
Just look on eBay. There are all manner of sellers selling reasonable old stock off for cheap. I got some nice ones for a tenner each the other day.

Alternatively, contact a local WEEE recycling company or even just a local company who might be interested in a bit of positive publicity. Does no harm to ask
Another key point - size & spec... 7" 9" or 10".
Screen resolution
Android version - there is an unpatched vulnerability before 4.4 kitkat
RAM memory - with 512MB, you struggle, things can be a bit erratic due to excessive swapping,, possibly not leaving enough for foreground app and necessary background tasks to run concurrently.

Maybe ask one of these places that takes the "ok for trade-in" tablets what happens to them - if you could get by on the 512MB RAM "trade-in fodder"
Takeme2yourdeala

Thank you all for your advice. Might order one from Dealextreme and test … Thank you all for your advice. Might order one from Dealextreme and test it out as suggested above. Have been taken aback a little by all the concern shown about me spending my own money. It isn't that my school is mean and is making me do it.. I see my job as a hobby and I am genuinely interested in how technology could improve learning for my students. I'm partly trying to make a point that schools don't have to invest thousands of pounds on iPads when much cheaper alternatives are available..

of look on argos eBay £50 for Asus or Acer , refurbished with 12 months warranty
Takeme2yourdeala

I'm confused by your perception of what we do as teachers! Firstly a … I'm confused by your perception of what we do as teachers! Firstly a healthy knowledge of technology and how to use it to enhance the learning of our students is pretty much a prerequisite these days. Secondly, just because something isn't my career choice, it doesn't mean that I don't have the skills and knowledge required to implement.. Lastly, I enjoy my job and want to do my best to help young people succeed. I'm happy to put my hand in my pocket occasionally to experiment with ways of further improving the learning experience for students.

You make some reasonable points. Of course, I have no idea about the extent of your personal skill sets. I have a little idea about your skill on how to source something that would satisfy your needs and those of your pupils. I have no idea about your particular school or education authority and its procurement policies and processes. I have no idea about the Portable Appliance Testing contract/processes in your school. I have no idea what needs to be done regarding checking the electrical circuits to see if they can cope with the charging of the tablets. I have no idea whether your wifi could cope with the additional demands upon it. I have no idea whether your school has a process where teacher/parent/joe public can donate money/equipment to the school. I applaud your reasons for doing all this, I admire your enthusiasm and I sense (hopefully correctly) a degree of frustration. I would happily pay more tax to remove the need for teachers to pay for equipment out of their own pocket.
Good ideas with Chinese suppliers, they are cheap if you want to wait 1-2 months for them to arrive, or if you want them quicker then it costs quite a lot
Takeme2yourdeala

Thanks. That would be great if you could find out.

Sorry takeme, contacted my friend about your interests in the tablets, but he has not come back to me. I guess he may have sold them already, so don't hold your breath waiting for my friend.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants