Groups

Where can I buy a desktop computer?

I'm looking to buy a cheap desktop to be used for Word, browsing and Netflix. I don't want to spend much time or money on it so I'm going for a pre-built system. I'll check the usual places (Amazon, PCWorld, eBuyer, eBay, etc.) but can anyone recommend other websites that might be less well known?

19 Comments

get a cheap second hand one from ebay

gumtree maybe good or local ads

are u after a new one or used forgot to ask.

Original Poster

MynameisM

are u after a new one or used forgot to ask.

Either.

If you don't want to spend time or money on it then why not build your own for less money, and they only take a couple of hours to build, start to finish including installing Windows!

cclonline

Original Poster

westy125

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-orionx-dual-pc-extreme-overclocked-pc-intel-core-i7-6950x-and-intel-core-i7-7700k-fs-006-8p.html

Will this support two monitors?

westy125

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-orionx-dual-pc-extreme-overclocked-pc-intel-core-i7-6950x-and-intel-core-i7-7700k-fs-006-8p.html

Best Buy! Especially for Word and browsing...

Original Poster

Mogolent

Best Buy! Especially for Word and browsing...

Yeah but I should have mentioned Word and browsing *at the same time*... I'm not sure this machine is up to that.

Cheap used Dell Optiplex 790 from ebay. Perfect for your needs

Very reliable, well built and good variety of form factors and specs

Lol are you serious? You're on an app that will have listings for tons of computer deals yet you've posted a question? Just go to deals, filter computers and have a browse.

The facebook buy/sell computer parts groups may be worth a look, actually, the group admin may well have a shop
    There's usually some adequate systems around

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

Lol are you serious? You're on an app that will have listings for tons of … Lol are you serious? You're on an app that will have listings for tons of computer deals yet you've posted a question? Just go to deals, filter computers and have a browse.

I did. There aren't a lot of low end desktops that come back as deals. I used those deals to find some extra websites I could check but thought I'd ask just to see if I was missing something obvious; something a person who frequently buys/builds PCs might know of but I might not. If asking a question is so strange then why is there an ASK section?

Lots of great answers here already. Another cheap option would be one of the many atom-based stick computers. You get the performance of a cheap tablet, in a stick that you can plug into the HDMI port of your monitor. And usb ports for a keyboard and mouse. Very basic, but cheap, simple, portable and fast enough for basic internet + word + Netflix usage.

See for example:
    google.co.uk/search?q=atom+pc+stick&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=UpaQWKHaJrHP8Aecn7vIAg#q=atom+pc+stick&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&start=20

The cheapest option:
    ebuyer.com/698…AGQ
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563844
      2. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.711
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32455
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047204

See more discussions