Expired

Where can I buy a laptop without Windows?

Found 5th Jul 2013
Not very long ago it used to be possible to pick up a netbook that came without Windows but i don't even think thats possible anymore. Is it possible to buy a decent budget machine without having to forkout for something i never use and immediately delete? The budget bit is important as i simply can't afford an apple mac.
Community Updates
AskLaptopWindows
12 Comments
Try a system builder, such as Novatech.
They sell laptops without any OS.
They look like what i am after, a little plasticy looking but yeah this is getting there, thanks
New or used? If used try schtrade.co.uk/lap…00/

For a flavour of what the kit you can buy, do a search as a fair few schtrade deals have been posted on here.
It is (apparently) possible to reject the EULA and get a refund on the OS but... good luck.
Jakg

It is (apparently) possible to reject the EULA and get a refund on the OS … It is (apparently) possible to reject the EULA and get a refund on the OS but... good luck.

Wow... it looks like this may be possible... if i am to to that most foolish of things and believer what i read in The Register... theregister.co.uk/200…nd/

This is the clause in Microsoft's EULA Graeme took advantage of:"By using … This is the clause in Microsoft's EULA Graeme took advantage of:"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft's refund policies."

It is a risk.. but could be a fun challenge....

ahhh... it looks like Windows 8 EULA has changed:

15. SUPPORT A ND REFUND PROCEDURES...If you are seeking a refund, contact … 15. SUPPORT A ND REFUND PROCEDURES...If you are seeking a refund, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy for a refund or credit. You must comply with that policy, which might require you to return the software with the entire computer on which the software is installed for a refund.

allowed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meenee-MNB737-Generation-Laptop-Bluetooth/dp/B004GGBUJY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373029442&sr=1-2&keywords=ubuntuthis has ubuntu on it

Its a fair bit of cash for an atom processor....

also i marked you down for the macbook, not because i have anything against them but rather they are a little out of my budget and did state this in the OP
If you want a laptop without an OS it probably won't cost much less than with, if at all. Just wipe it when you get it if you don't want that OS.
Call Dell on 0844 444 4699 and they will do you a price for Linux and now windows. But in all reality the loss of Dell's OEM license is tiny (thinks it's about £12) so unless you never plan on selling it on you would be better off getting it with windows and putting Linux on it and then put windows back on when you come to sell it as you should make the £12 back.
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Call Dell on 0844 444 4699 and they will do you a price for Linux and now … Call Dell on 0844 444 4699 and they will do you a price for Linux and now windows. But in all reality the loss of Dell's OEM license is tiny (thinks it's about £12) so unless you never plan on selling it on you would be better off getting it with windows and putting Linux on it and then put windows back on when you come to sell it as you should make the £12 back.

Yeah... just been chatting with them and i don't believe they do a laptop without windows... they also point blank refused to refund on rejection of the Windows EULA.

What started as a simple question on my part is now becoming something of a point of principle - why on earth should Windows make a sale on every new laptop sold whether or not the end user wants them there?

I want to buy a new laptop without paying a Microsoft tax and my options are.... Novatech or Apple...

thats kinda sucky
Josh Rogan

Yeah... just been chatting with them and i don't believe they do a laptop … Yeah... just been chatting with them and i don't believe they do a laptop without windows... they also point blank refused to refund on rejection of the Windows EULA.What started as a simple question on my part is now becoming something of a point of principle - why on earth should Windows make a sale on every new laptop sold whether or not the end user wants them there? I want to buy a new laptop without paying a Microsoft tax and my options are.... Novatech or Apple...thats kinda sucky

Sorry just have to give some clarification on this as I advised partially wrong. "Ubuntu is available to corporate business client account holders on selected Vostro and Latitude laptops". So as a consumer it looks like your out of luck.

Well for me then it's Novatech then as not paying the Apple tax!

Sometimes people like Ebuyer have ones that don't have an OS, but they are usually low spec machines. Probably the only other way is to import one from a country that bans forced OS's. But it's very unlikely to be economically viable.

Ebuyer do a zoostorm model without an OS

ebuyer.com/398…040

Dabs do them too

dabs.com/pro…c=3

As has been suggested SCH trade

schtrade.co.uk

Also morgan computers offer 2nd hand laptops that have 'prepaid' the MS tax.

morgancomputers.co.uk

There are a few available through Amazon UK and sister sites around the world. I'd be all day listing each of them but you've not said what sort of spec or price you want to pay.

amazon.com
Edited by: "Astec123" 5th Jul 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants